The 60 and over Thread

Had a decent driver practice last night. Had the Matlby KE4 Tour TC on a 65g shaft, the Maltby KE4 Max with a 60g shaft, and the Callaway AI Smoke driver with a 55g shaft. The KE4 max performed the best followed closely by the Smoke, with the Tour TC bringing up the rear.

Was trying a couple different feels last night after a dismal practice the night before. The SS on all 3 clubs were up 5-10 mph last night as a result of keeping my wrists loose and focusing on a slightly different swing plane thought.
Did you get the new shaft you ordered for the Smoke?

Did you get the new shaft you ordered for the Smoke?
Should get in next week. I paid to have them assemble with the adaptor because I wanted to make sure it was done right. And of course, I’m second-guessing the shaft I ordered. Lol.
Looking forward to it, though. I really want that club to work out.

Has anyone played Recoil SmacWraps? I'm in Recoil 95s now but am looking for whatever further help I can get in reducing vibration into my hands. If so, how'd you like them?

Has anyone played Recoil SmacWraps? I'm in Recoil 95s now but am looking for whatever further help I can get in reducing vibration into my hands. If so, how'd you like them?
Have not played these but I’m online looking them over. Good price.

I’m using a different graphite shaft with my irons and so far, haven’t noticed too much in the way of pain. But when I switch to my classic set with steel shafts… I can almost feel the pain in my fingers and elbows before I even swing one.

You're getting vibration in the Recoils? I was thinking one day when I start having pains I'd move from my Modus 105s to all Recoils (I have them in my U85 3-5s)

You're getting vibration in the Recoils? I was thinking one day when I start having pains I'd move from my Modus 105s to all Recoils (I have them in my U85 3-5s)
There is some (can't escape it all) but magnitudes less than I experienced in steel. I tried SteelFibers and PX Catalysts for a short while and Recoils are significantly better than both in damping vibration. Both of those felt a bit harsh in my hands albeit less than steel.

I’ve worked on flexibility to get more length in my backswing,
Whenever I try to reach back, lengthen my back swing, get a bigger shoulder turn, is when I hit my poorest drives. With a shorter back swing I improve the quality of my strike, and thus have my best drives, provided I don't "rush" the swing because the back swing is short.

I played the 760 F3 and liked them very much. MMT 70 shafts are great also. (assuming you’re looking for regular flex)

@Parrot is the first person I’ve heard complain about vibration in the hands from a Recoil shaft.
I'm not complaining. The shafts are great. I'm just wondering if there is a way to get even less. Arthritic hands want to know! :ROFLMAO:

I'm not complaining. The shafts are great. I'm just wondering if there is a way to get even less. Arthritic hands want to know! :ROFLMAO:
Parrot, to answer your question, SmacWrap as a material is designed for just that, to reduce vibration. With that comes a slightly altered feel and typically works better in my testing in lower weights. You don't see too many new models come out with it, partly because of how Dart has fared in feeling smooth and stable.

There is a lot more in the Smacwrap and Dart threads than this catch all.

Soft jumbo grips, like CP2 wraps.

I'm not a big video or YT guy as the first time I swung a club there was no internet, just magazines, couldn't afford lessons back in those days.

I always struggled with OTT even with lessons after retirement but this video that I saw recently although it's an old video has transformed my perception of a proper golf swing.

It was the biggest aha moment I ever had involving the golf swing. I don't know why this short single video resonated with me so much. It was the missing piece and it wasn't even so much about the release he talks about but the backswing and downswing sequence. The release just came naturally after following this technique.
I wanted to quit this game so many times but I have been rejuvenated with a new positive attitude and outlook on my future golf. I'm sure I'll have my days but I finally feel I have something tangible to work with.

You're never too old to learn.

Soft jumbo grips, like CP2 wraps.
Thanks. CP2 wrap is what I've been playing. I like it. I'm going to size up to Jumbo. I've got a couple of other grips to try - Winn Excel and Superstroke Cross Comfort.

Thanks. CP2 wrap is what I've been playing. I like it. I'm going to size up to Jumbo. I've got a couple of other grips to try - Winn Excel and Superstroke Cross Comfort.
Also Lamkin Crossline Oversize/Jumbo. Very comfortable. I have used both the CP2 wrap and the Crossline. Played midsize for the last 8 or 9 years and recently moved to oversize.

Bionic has a glove that's all black on the palm and has extra padding where the club would sit. I realize that would only help one hand unless you want to be like 2 glove Tommy. I know a lot of seniors with arthritis that use them.

CPx is even softer but has more taper. I'll get a pic after we are done with lunch. Have the whole place to ourselves.

Attachments

• 20240328_144403.jpg
    20240328_144403.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 7
I guess I should’ve said “comment” instead of “complain”.

I feel fortunate. Just the switch to graphite was enough to cure my impact related pains. Playing recoils now. Love them.

I'm using graphite in everything but wedges, it has helped me, Don't know of anything other than that for arthritic hands, which I have.

I'm using graphite in everything but wedges, it has helped me, Don't know of anything other than that for arthritic hands, which I have.
I have steel in the bottom 3 wedges. Might look at changing next time around.

Back