The Car Shopping Thread

Looking at possibly trading my wifes car and my truck for something new.

Went to the shop to see my car today for the first time.

200.gif

View attachment 9243994View attachment 9243995View attachment 9243996View attachment 9243997
Robert Redford Nodding GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Our 26 year old son is getting a lesson in how dramatically new cars depreciate over 10 years. He’s was looking to upgrade the 2014 A4 we gave to him 5 years ago after we bought it new for $49k for his mom in 2014. He found out it‘s only worth $7k on trade or about $11k if he sells it himself on a place like AutoTrader so it’s depreciated about 80%. Carvana offered only $3,800 for it, lol. He’s decided to drive it for another few years rather than spend his money on a newer car.

Last edited:
Starting to look for a new suv for my wife.
Replacing a pilot we are keeping for my daughter who will be a new driver soon.

Test drove new pilot and looked at telluride so far.

I hate car shopping

I'm not in the market, but is the Tesla Model Y about the best deal in cars right now?

My daily driver is a pickup but I always keep a summer fun car around. It's been Mustangs off and on, but I've had a BMW 440 convertible for 7 years and decided to get one last Mustang at some point before they go away. I stopped in to make a recall appointment for the F-150 and decided to place the order. I'm guessing around June I'll have it.
Screenshot_20240224-215608_Chrome.jpg

I'm not in the market, but is the Tesla Model Y about the best deal in cars right now?
They are in the floor right now. Same with Model 3s. A ton of value if you can stand the Tesla ecosystem and the lack of refill available parts.

Starting to look for a new suv for my wife.
Replacing a pilot we are keeping for my daughter who will be a new driver soon.

Test drove new pilot and looked at telluride so far.

I hate car shopping

OH me to. Its like walking into the land of the zombies . Once you get out of your car, here they come,
Happy Halloween GIF by Carowinds

Last edited:
My daily driver is a pickup but I always keep a summer fun car around. It's been Mustangs off and on, but I've had a BMW 440 convertible for 7 years and decided to get one last Mustang at some point before they go away. I stopped in to make a recall appointment for the F-150 and decided to place the order. I'm guessing around June I'll have it.
View attachment 9244699
Convertibles are fun. I’ve got a Bronco and sometimes leave the hardtop off during the summer for a week or two at a time. There is now an aftermarket power soft top that I‘ll likely order.

Convertibles are fun. I’ve got a Bronco and sometimes leave the hardtop off during the summer for a week or two at a time. There is now an aftermarket power soft top that I‘ll likely order.
My wife found a set of clear roof panels that she wants to get for hers. They look pretty cool actually

My wife found a set of clear roof panels that she wants to get for hers. They look pretty cool actually
I saw a set of these on a Bronco in Florida last month. They are very cool.

846E2F45-9D2C-4E58-92C9-421D26B71A4F.jpeg

Ended up with a ram. Traded the Silverado it had so many weird quirks. Hard shifts, weird noises when turning, and just things I wasn't thrilled with. Only had 40k miles so now it's a 24 etorque midnight big horn

Lease on my Grand Cherokee Trailhawk was up. My last couple vehicles were Trailhawks. Wanted something different and around here 4WD is pretty much a necessity. Went to dealer and test drove a Wrangler Sahara 4 - Door Sahara 4XE. Loved it and got it. Didnt realize until i test drove it that it is partially electric and everything they had in stock was partially electric. Whats nice is i can charge it on a regular outlet in my garage overnight. What i think is odd is that the max miles on one charge is 30 which is nothing. I was not looking for an electric vehicle so this fearure is just an extra. As a side note i am getting much better MPG just in the standard gas mode than i was with the Grand Cherokee. Too bad its not like 50 MPG per charge because the ride to my office is 16 miles so i cant even use it exclusively for that. Love the vehicle and i am sure it will be a beast in the snow. I just don't get the logic of a 30 mile charge radius.

Lease on my Grand Cherokee Trailhawk was up. My last couple vehicles were Trailhawks. Wanted something different and around here 4WD is pretty much a necessity. Went to dealer and test drove a Wrangler Sahara 4 - Door Sahara 4XE. Loved it and got it. Didnt realize until i test drove it that it is partially electric and everything they had in stock was partially electric. Whats nice is i can charge it on a regular outlet in my garage overnight. What i think is odd is that the max miles on one charge is 30 which is nothing. I was not looking for an electric vehicle so this fearure is just an extra. As a side note i am getting much better MPG just in the standard gas mode than i was with the Grand Cherokee. Too bad its not like 50 MPG per charge because the ride to my office is 16 miles so i cant even use it exclusively for that. Love the vehicle and i am sure it will be a beast in the snow. I just don't get the logic of a 30 mile charge radius.
At that point, why not just make it a hybrid? Then you don't have to bother pugging it in, but get the electric benefit. Probably some government subsidy to make electric cars they can count it towards.

At that point, why not just make it a hybrid? Then you don't have to bother pugging it in, but get the electric benefit. Probably some government subsidy to make electric cars they can count it towards.
That is exactly what the salesman told me happened. Govt subsidy which enabled them to offer good deals.

Tesla is now offering a free month of FSD on all models capable of it. Should I enable or will this cause me to spend another $12k?

My wife got her new Rover yesterday that we ordered last April. It’s the same boring color that she has had for all of her vehicles since 2008 but it drives great and is quieter than her 2018 that now has over $100k miles on in. The rear of the ‘18 visible in the 2nd pic looks a lot different. The dealer only offered $26k for our old one so our adult daughter is buying it from us.

219BE1C7-8B2E-44BF-80D5-BAB47EE3D6C3.jpegBCAF8663-5BFE-47BF-BC9D-75C8A6F58739.jpeg

Last edited:
Tesla is now offering a free month of FSD on all models capable of it. Should I enable or will this cause me to spend another $12k?
The new FSD has been much smoother and intuitive in a lot of situations. Much closer to functional than before. The nanny features on it are aggressive to the point I'm voting against paying for it. We had 3 months trial from new and then the added on month now.

The new FSD has been much smoother and intuitive in a lot of situations. Much closer to functional than before. The nanny features on it are aggressive to the point I'm voting against paying for it. We had 3 months trial from new and then the added on month now.
I’ve been using since the free trial and set it aggressive. It’s good but I don’t think 12k good

Never thought I’d see the day, but the Mustang 5.0 looks like it will be going Friday. Was and still is my realistic dream car, but with 2 motorcycles in the garage, it just doesn’t get driven. When it does, it’s usually in traffic, and being the manual, driving the car in traffic sucks, so time to say goodbye. Off to look at a Golf GTi on Friday. Grew up with hot hatches so going back to my routes. Also, if finally decided I can hold out no longer, so buying my first automatic!!! Hoping the DSG keeps me entertained enough when I do decide to have some fun in it, and is defintely gonna help when I have to jump on it for the bumper to bumper commute. Gutted about saying goodbye to the Mustang (my 3rd) but looking forward to trying the daddy of all hot hatches.

My wife got her new Rover yesterday that we ordered last April. It’s the same boring color that she has had for all of her vehicles since 2008 but it drives great and is quieter than her 2018 that now has over $100k miles on in. The rear of the ‘18 visible in the 2nd pic looks a lot different. The dealer only offered $26k for our old one so our adult daughter is buying it from us.

View attachment 9254706View attachment 9254720

I'm much more interested in hearing about that Bronco....what model is it?

i'm still debating what to do with my Tacoma TRD Pro if i move to Austin in September/October. I have it because i live in the sticks on a farm in MTL. If i move to a suburb in Texas i'm really debating driving it down and trading it in for a IS500 or something.

I'm much more interested in hearing about that Bronco....what model is it?
‘23 Outer Banks with the Sasquatch package. I put some 35” Falken Wildpeaks on it for better snow traction as most of it’s off-road time is hunting from fire roads or driving across snow covered frozen lakes during our cold MN winters. It‘s my daily driver during the summer months and I enjoy taking the doors and top off once the temperatures allow. We actually have a ‘22 Bronco that my daughters confiscated so the green one is all mine.

BC8974DC-BFE4-4243-B383-5C9A42D8CB9D.jpeg

D3AD578F-1EC6-4A96-BB4B-5D3180FD5B7D.jpeg

Last edited:
‘23 Outer Banks with the Sasquatch package. I put some 35” Falken Wildpeaks on it for better snow traction as most of it’s off-road time is hunting from fire roads or driving across snow covered frozen lakes during our cold MN winters. It‘s my daily driver during the summer months and I enjoy taking the doors and top off once the temperatures allow. We actually have a ‘22 Bronco that my daughters confiscated so the green one is all mine.

View attachment 9255919

View attachment 9255917

I really like the Bronco, i looked at pretty hard , but in the end wanted something with a bit more towing and a bed since i have horses and a farm.

But similar to you i drive my truck a lot in the snow so went more all terrain instead of offroading (i have Wrangler Duratracs instead of Wrangler AT Kevlar they came with)

I've posted pics before but i have 2022 Tacoma TRD Pro

1712750818293.jpeg

Back