The Car Shopping Thread

Looks sharp! :)

ALL NEW 2015 Ford F-150 Supercrew XLT 4x4

This is a SWEET truck! They aren't coming in fast as of yet, but we've had three, sold 2 and this one is still on the lot.

Pretty sure, come Summer...I'm going to be in one of these for a work vehicle. I'm interested to see if the 2.7L EcoBoost really will be able to get the 24 MPG on the highway, like they claim!

We just got our first all new 2015 Chevrolet Trax!!! Sure is sharp for an entry level suv.
b6ee5cac2350ef019b9f983616500795.jpg

Is the fit and finish better than the equinox of 2yrs ago and does a golf bag fit in the boot?

ALL NEW 2015 Ford F-150 Supercrew XLT 4x4

This is a SWEET truck! They aren't coming in fast as of yet, but we've had three, sold 2 and this one is still on the lot.

Pretty sure, come Summer...I'm going to be in one of these for a work vehicle. I'm interested to see if the 2.7L EcoBoost really will be able to get the 24 MPG on the highway, like they claim!

The white is pretty sharp. We had a white Platinum that sold right away, and red Lariat. I don't like the rims of the Platinum, but I love the rims of the Lariat. I think they should swap the two. Overall though...not a big fan of the new model. Not much different than the previous model, interior almost identical other than the shape of the vents, but all at a higher cost and less rebates. Gas mileage isn't as big of a deal as Ford made it sound, I think that's why they waited til the last minute to release the actual mileage because they didn't want to ruin the hype.

The white is pretty sharp. We had a white Platinum that sold right away, and red Lariat. I don't like the rims of the Platinum, but I love the rims of the Lariat. I think they should swap the two. Overall though...not a big fan of the new model. Not much different than the previous model, interior almost identical other than the shape of the vents, but all at a higher cost and less rebates. Gas mileage isn't as big of a deal as Ford made it sound, I think that's why they waited til the last minute to release the actual mileage because they didn't want to ruin the hype.

I don't know In...I'm a fan. You can't really go left field with redesigning the best selling vehicle on the plant, can you? The average consumer can still glance up and see it and know it's an F-150, and that's not a bad thing. Ya, the interior isn't a huge makeover, except the dash and vents, but again...it's a truck, not a sports car.
Interesting that the 40/20/40 bench is the Stock seat in the Lariat, as (around here) the Captains chairs with center console sell the best. I'm with you on the rims, though we haven't got in our first Platinum yet, so I haven't seen them in person. I like the rim (in chrome) that's on the XLT with the six spoke, they are a classic but sharp look.
Ford has been getting some bad press about the 2.7....well with both of the EcoBoost in the F-150. It's interesting though, I've talked to guys we've sold to on both sides of that fence. Granted, the side that LOVES them are Retired and in there 70's and don't drive hard and get 24 MPG from the "OLD" EcoBoost engine that's not even supposed be that good. Other guys, heavy foot them and go 80-90 in the Interstate and can't understand "why this Engine can't do any better than my old V8....and....there must be something wrong with this thing, you said it would be better than this."

Ever since we got the 2015 truck in all we have sold is a lot more 14's. There isn't a big change in styling or equipment, you just pay a lot more for the aluminum. We have a $54,000 2014 Platinum and to get similar equipment on a 2015 is over $60,000. That's not even taking into account that there is several thousand in rebates on the 14's and hardly anything on the 15's and you've got an even bigger spread. I don't doubt that Ford will stay #1 in trucks just because I've learned that most truck buyers are loyalists...they wont buy anything else. I think Ford just really overhyped the new truck and aluminum body.

Ever since we got the 2015 truck in all we have sold is a lot more 14's. There isn't a big change in styling or equipment, you just pay a lot more for the aluminum. We have a $54,000 2014 Platinum and to get similar equipment on a 2015 is over $60,000. That's not even taking into account that there is several thousand in rebates on the 14's and hardly anything on the 15's and you've got an even bigger spread. I don't doubt that Ford will stay #1 in trucks just because I've learned that most truck buyers are loyalists...they wont buy anything else. I think Ford just really overhyped the new truck and aluminum body.

True....true. We have...just a second, let me check...17 or 18 2014 F-150's left on the lot, and usually when we are fully stocked we have more like 60. So, outside of dealer trades, we are about out. Which sucks because of the spread you're mentioning and sales we could be loosing because of remaining inventory. Back in October, when we heard that the 2015 would be a trickle until Spring, my Boss bought 30 or 40 additional 2014's on top of the amount we already had allocated to be coming. It was a great idea, but they're all gone now.
We're are more in line with a "Mom and Pop" lot, but I think we are the 4th or 5th Top Selling truck dealership in the State of Kansas, and we ARE the highest volume dealership in Western Kansas, even though we are actually in the VERY middle of the State. lol

Our sales manager did the same thing and stocked up on a ton of 14 F150's when we heard about the slow release as well. I actually work in finance so I don't have to worry too much about which one sells between a 14 or 15, just as long as most of them finance I'm happy! :)

Our sales manager did the same thing and stocked up on a ton of 14 F150's when we heard about the slow release as well. I actually work in finance so I don't have to worry too much about which one sells between a 14 or 15, just as long as most of them finance I'm happy! :)
I'm the only Finance Manager at our store. We have a sister store (sells Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep & Ram) across the street and they have 2 over there, since they do most of the Used lots, too.
So, though I know a decent amount about the vehicles, I don't sell them either.
Ever notice how a lot of customers think of you as their salesman because you're the last face they see the most of? Happens to me all the time.

Ok...so I live in Finland, which sucks when it comes to cars...we pay a sick amount of taxes, and basically it makes buying a car very...well..not fun.

I used to dream about a 2010-> Ford F150 but, even if I would find a car that would be reasonable priced before taxes, I'd have to pay like 20-30k just taxes...it's not going to happen very soon :)

But...the older the car, the less tax...I checked that for example for a year 2000 Chevy Silverado the taxes would be around 2000-4000k...and those shouldn't be so pricey...

So here's the question for you who know better...If I'm looking for a 1500 size pickup truck, with 5-6 seats, 4x4, moderate fuel consumption, and a hammering cool exterior, what make, model, engine would you suggest? From some where around 1995-2005.

Silverado, Sierra, F150, Ram...?

Ok...so I live in Finland, which sucks when it comes to cars...we pay a sick amount of taxes, and basically it makes buying a car very...well..not fun.

I used to dream about a 2010-> Ford F150 but, even if I would find a car that would be reasonable priced before taxes, I'd have to pay like 20-30k just taxes...it's not going to happen very soon :)

But...the older the car, the less tax...I checked that for example for a year 2000 Chevy Silverado the taxes would be around 2000-4000k...and those shouldn't be so pricey...

So here's the question for you who know better...If I'm looking for a 1500 size pickup truck, with 5-6 seats, 4x4, moderate fuel consumption, and a hammering cool exterior, what make, model, engine would you suggest? From some where around 1995-2005.

Haha, Americans are very brand loyal when it comes to their trucks. This should lead to some interesting conversation however and I will grab some popcorn. Good luck on your search Henri.

I will say I have a 2003 Chevy Avalanche that runs great with 110,000 miles on it. Everything inside seems to be falling apart however. Door locks are an issue, heated seats don't work, radio buttons are worn etc.

My first choice is the 5.3 vortec in the Silverado, the small V8 in the dodge isn't bad but I know a couple yes had transmission issues, can't help ya with ford as I have zero experience there.

edited

Last edited:

Each truck has it's Pluses and Minuses, of course and to each there own. I can tell you to watch out for the F-150's from around 2004 to 2010 in the 5.4L V8's. With that said, they were MORE of an issue in the 2004-2006 model years. My Brother In Law has a 2008 that's had no issues (he still has it), and my Father In Law had a 2009 that had no issues and he traded it in with around 100,000 miles. BUT I have a good friend who has a 2006 and it's a HUGE issue for him, and those are NOT cheap to fix. That's around a $3000 repair bill here at the Ford Dealership where I work.
With all of that said, if you know the repair has been done, you should be good...but that's my number 1 question if I'm looking at a late model F-150.

I've always been a fan of the 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 short bed flair side regular cabs that were lifted....like this one (this is a 1999).

312-1-1999-silverado-1500-chevrolet-ls-2dr-regular-cab-4wd-stepside-sb-body-lift-3-american-racing-ar160-atlas-chrome-aggressive-1-outside-fender.jpg

Congrats Doug! It looks good

I'm a bit late on these, but here are some pictures of the Subaru Legacy I bought a couple of weeks ago. Obviously, they were taken prior to the blizzard that hit here earlier this week.

photofun-1773419427.jpg

photofun-180304452.jpg

15%2B-%2B2

Nice looking ride Amol.

I'm currently eyeing a 2010 or 2011 Murano or CX-7 as I prepare to give my daughter the Accord.

Wow, Subaru has done such a wonderful job updating that Legacy!

I'm currently eyeing a 2010 or 2011 Murano or CX-7 as I prepare to give my daughter the Accord.

Im sure Jrod can chime in more but there was a big transfer case problem on the murano back then. I'd make sure it has been replaced already. It's an expensive fix if not covered.

Im sure Jrod can chime in more but there was a big transfer case problem on the murano back then. I'd make sure it has been replaced already. It's an expensive fix if not covered.

Thanks man, great info. Leaning towards the CX-7 since it can be had cheaper with everything else being equal, also more on the market.

Looks very nice Amol...what do you all think so far?

This is the Limited if I remember right, did you get the EyeSight package also?

Looks very nice Amol...what do you all think so far?

This is the Limited if I remember right, did you get the EyeSight package also?

I've only put about 300 miles on it so far, so I don't have a ton of opinions just yet. I did get the Limited with the Eyesight. The lane detection feature is a bit annoying because I think it goes off too often, but all of the other safety features are useful. Another small nitpick is that I wish the heated seats would warn up faster, it takes 5-7 minutes for them to get really toasty. Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the car. Gas mileage hasn't been what was advertised, but that's probably because of the cold weather up here and so few miles on the car right now.

I've only put about 300 miles on it so far, so I don't have a ton of opinions just yet. I did get the Limited with the Eyesight. The lane detection feature is a bit annoying because I think it goes off too often, but all of the other safety features are useful. Another small nitpick is that I wish the heated seats would warn up faster, it takes 5-7 minutes for them to get really toasty. Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the car. Gas mileage hasn't been what was advertised, but that's probably because of the cold weather up here and so few miles on the car right now.
Yeah I would expect mileage to go up as the car breaks in. It's a good looking car, I hope you love it.

Need another (new to us) car, and the wife wants an SUV. We currently have one 2012 Kia Sorrento, and really like it. Looking at another 2012 Sorrento, or the wife has said she actually likes the 2009 Mazda CX-5 or 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. We can get those for basically nothing (once the insurance pays out), but they're higher mileage (Sorrento is 36k, the other two are in the 90k range). Anyone have experience with the CX-5 or Santa Fe?

Back