The Car Shopping Thread

14a97225a1d3fb8086bfe2fd09cb4a44.jpg

Gf's new car, we pick it up on Tuesday. 2014 Impreza with only 10k on it. She wanted some options but also to keep the price at $20k, so the lightly used worked out.

There is actually way more room in these than I ever thought there would be.

As of earlier this morning, I'm the owner of a 2015 Subaru Legacy. I didn't want to get into an SUV at this time but needed all wheel drive, so in the 4 door sedan class, it was the Legacy vs. some of the "entry level" luxury cars: Audi A4, Lexus IS 250, and the BMW 428 Gran Coupe. I actually really like the BMW, even though it's called a coupe it has 4 doors and a hatchback for easy access into the trunk. But when it came down to it, the price of the BMW would have been about $20k more than the Subaru, and for 60% of the price of the BMW, I can get 80% of the features and performance in the Subaru. I'll take the $20k savings right now and invest that, and then buy a more "fun" car in a few years after we pay the Subaru off.

I went with the upper level trim on the 4 cylinder model, list price was just under $31k, negotiated them down to just over $28k. I got heated front and rear seats, Harmon Kardon sound system, navigation with adaptive cruise control, leather interior, and dual zone climate control, plus the trunk is easily big enough to carry golf clubs and all of the baby stuff for a road trip. I'm pretty happy with it, pictures to come soon.

I look forward to picking your brain when you've had it a few months...this is one of the vehicles on my early short list, with the same feature set. Congratulations.

So they came back to me taking $16K off the Silverado. Its a 2014 and not a 2015...crap. I don't want a truck payment but don't know how long my truck will last either. Such a sweet truck even though there is hail damage has every option too.

Erase-A-Dent can get the hail damage out on the cheap. Google them may be one near you if you decide to go for it. $16k off a 14 is a lose for the dealership. I sell Silverado's. Heck of a deal for you!

As of earlier this morning, I'm the owner of a 2015 Subaru Legacy. I didn't want to get into an SUV at this time but needed all wheel drive, so in the 4 door sedan class, it was the Legacy vs. some of the "entry level" luxury cars: Audi A4, Lexus IS 250, and the BMW 428 Gran Coupe. I actually really like the BMW, even though it's called a coupe it has 4 doors and a hatchback for easy access into the trunk. But when it came down to it, the price of the BMW would have been about $20k more than the Subaru, and for 60% of the price of the BMW, I can get 80% of the features and performance in the Subaru. I'll take the $20k savings right now and invest that, and then buy a more "fun" car in a few years after we pay the Subaru off.

I went with the upper level trim on the 4 cylinder model, list price was just under $31k, negotiated them down to just over $28k. I got heated front and rear seats, Harmon Kardon sound system, navigation with adaptive cruise control, leather interior, and dual zone climate control, plus the trunk is easily big enough to carry golf clubs and all of the baby stuff for a road trip. I'm pretty happy with it, pictures to come soon.

Nice dude, need some pictures.

Thanks for the info. Have til Monday to talk myself out of it before going to see it again. If I see it again it will be mine I'm afraid. The hail damage I can live with and wouldn't have to worry about door dings...ha.

Yeah but for a few hundred bucks it looks new and shiny again!

I love the looks of those cars just can't justify the price...they do a good job of trying to sell it to you in the showrooms too

Believe it or not, we ordered one without ever visiting a showroom. We ordered it online without ever talking to anyone from Tesla. Fuel savings over the long term make a Tesla much more affordable than most people think. Part of our justification for getting one is that my wife gets reimbursed about $650 a month for mileage to and from work. We also have a large rooftop solar system on our house that could be easily expanded to handle all the charging of an electric vehicle. At $3.00 a gallon for premium fuel here in California, we will be saving $3,400 a year in fuel costs alone. When gas prices go back up to where they were 6 months ago, we would be saving $4,500 each year.

The most in depth cost of ownership analysis that I have seen shows that a Tesla Model S costs only about $600 more each year to own than a loaded Honda Odyssey minivan and cheaper to own than any of the German or Japanese luxury sedans that it competes with. I know the CEO of Lexus was complaining that Tesla has severely impacted the sales of their flagship sedan. Here a link to the Honda minivan/Telsa cost comparison if you are interested. https://transportevolved.com/2014/04/15/running-numbers-tesla-model-s-cheaper-minivan/

Last edited:
Not hauling much soccer mom gear in a Tesla, though :)

The Ford experts I here I have a question, will I get better pricing with an Xplan through my company or try and negotiate at key times of the month/year?

The Ford experts I here I have a question, will I get better pricing with an Xplan through my company or try and negotiate at key times of the month/year?

you can do both, I did get a pretty good deal out of my focus in november

you can do both, I did get a pretty good deal out of my focus in november

X plan is for the base vehicle price. You can still negotiate the rest.

Not hauling much soccer mom gear in a Tesla, though :)

The Tesla has 26.3 cubic feet of trunk space but also has another 5 cubic feet of cargo room under the hood since their is not engine under the hood. Overall that means it has about double the storage space of a 7 series BMW or an S class Mercedes. Not bad.

The Tesla has 26.3 cubic feet of trunk space but also has another 5 cubic feet of cargo room under the hood since their is not engine under the hood. Overall that means it has about double the storage space of a 7 series BMW or an S class Mercedes. Not bad.

Where do you fit all the kids? :)

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Thanks, really only need it for two sets to be honest, me and wife, but on occasions we do have a third with us. I currently have a XC70 Volvo that is getting a bit long in the tooth but does the job rather well.

Blame, Volvo has a new XC70 coming out for 2015. May be out already, have you seen it? Looks pretty awesome...and Volvo always has the most comfortable seats... :)

Hi Mike, I defer to others who know more, but my company has plans with many OEMs. I've tried to use it a few times and it did not help. If the OEM has incentives active, a top dealer discount along with the incentives has always proven better for me. In one case, Infiniti, it actually hurt because once I mentioned it the dealer said it has to be used and it was inferior.

Check all of your company benefits if multiple OEM plans. They can vary quite a bit. In my case, Mercedes has the best plan. My wife drives a GLK for less than I could get her an Edge. Go figure.

Blame, Volvo has a new XC70 coming out for 2015. May be out already, have you seen it? Looks pretty awesome...and Volvo always has the most comfortable seats... :)

I have and would love another to be honest and as you said the seats are great some of the best I've ever rested my bum on. Just tad outside of my price range for something new.

I have and would love another to be honest and as you said the seats are great some of the best I've ever rested my bum on. Just tad outside of my price range for something new.

Doesn't surprise me that they're back to top dollar after years of bargain pricing with the old. If you can be patient it will come down though. Competition is fierce and Volvo doesn't have the favor they used to.

Expect big lease incentives by Spring if you're willing to lease. Good luck shopping. There really aren't any bad vehicles out there any more.

X-Plan is a pre negotiated price with a company and Ford. The dealership can and should show you that price on their internal inventory paperwork, if they do things like we do here. In most cases the X-Plan price is only around. $100 more than Invoice. You will also get your rebates off that price as well.
For us, X-Plan is what it is and there is no negotiations off that, as it is basically Invoice. However, a lot of BIG lot dealerships will just give you Invoice price if you ask. Where they will make there money on that deal is the backend, in the finance office and selling your trade in, since they may not give you a great trade in offer.
So, 1st...ask if they would be willing to sell it to you for Invoice. If they say no, then tell them you're an X-Plan buyer. 2nd, have an offer in writing from another honest reputable dealer or service for your trade in, one that you're willing to accept. That way, you can tell them you have this offer and if they will beat it, then you have a deal....that sort of talk.
3rd, finance. As a finance guy, I want your business as that's how I make a living. If I know your honest rate offers, I'll undercut it to get your business. So, if you know your credit score and tell me your own bank is going to give you (X) rate on 60 months...and I know I can beat that, I will. As its better than making zero dollars when you bring me a check.
4th, after market warranties. They're not all bad, but some dealerships will jack up the cost to make more money. If you see value in them, and there is for some people due to super high mileage use, then do some shopping. I have the National price book, PM me and I'll tell you what the true Retail Rate for that Ford Premium Care Warranty is....and you don't have to buy it from me. Just trying to help you all out.

If you want to know what incentives are on a Ford or Lincoln...feel free to PM me, just need your Zip Code and VIN on the vehicle you're looking at, or at least a description of it, so I can use one of our in stock units that is close to the same.

New Acura NSX or Ford GT.... decisions, decisions.

Might as well and go ahead and get both, you can always unload one of them later in the THP marketplace.

Baller.

I'm jealous. Wouldn't chose either one for that money but show us pics either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My vote is for the NSX without a doubt. This also all depends on what type of driver you are and what you are looking for.

After 3 months, and 3,400 miles in my Mazda3...........I want a Chevy Colorado.

No reason at all other than I am a tinkerer.

Also...my credit card bill that I only use for gas last month? Z E R O

I went 30 days without putting gas in my Mazda, so why wouldn't I want a pickup that gets 18 mpg?

After 3 months, and 3,400 miles in my Mazda3...........I want a Chevy Colorado.

No reason at all other than I am a tinkerer.

Also...my credit card bill that I only use for gas last month? Z E R O

I went 30 days without putting gas in my Mazda, so why wouldn't I want a pickup that gets 18 mpg?
I can help, send me your gas card....I go through a couple tanks a week.

The Car Shopping Thread

We just got our first all new 2015 Chevrolet Trax!!! Sure is sharp for an entry level suv.
b6ee5cac2350ef019b9f983616500795.jpg

Back