The Florida Crime Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, Florida isn't part of the south anymore. It was annexed by NY to be used as it's retirement community.

Not His Better Half - October 20, 2009

Not His Better Half
One instance where we wouldn't have minded police profiling

OCTOBER 20--Meet Salvatore Dichiera. St. Petersburg, Florida police arrested the 27-year-old early Saturday morning on a misdemeanor open container charge. Dichiera spent about eight hours in custody before being released by cops. During the booking process, Dichiera posed for the below Pinellas County Sheriff's Office mug shot. Sadly, sheriff's personnel do not snap profile photos of arrestees.

1020092beard1.jpg

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33833340/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts

Ex-astronaut pleads guilty in attacking woman
Nowak strikes deal to avoid trial and attempted kidnapping charge

ORLANDO, Fla. - A former astronaut pleaded guilty Tuesday to attacking a romantic rival after driving 1,000 miles from Houston to Orlando and was sentenced to a year on probation.

Lisa Nowak, a Navy captain, pleaded guilty to felony burglary and misdemeanor battery. She originally had been charged with two felonies — attempted kidnapping and burglary — along with misdemeanor battery. She could have faced up to life in prison under the attempted kidnapping charge. Nowak confronted her romantic rival, Colleen Shipman, in the parking lot of Orlando International Airport in February 2007 after driving from Houston. Shipman had begun dating Nowak’s love interest, former space shuttle pilot Bill Oefelein. Wearing a wig and trenchcoat, Nowak followed Shipman to the parking lot and tried to get into her car, then attacked her with pepper spray. Shipman was able to drive away.

Police arrested Nowak a short time later in the parking lot near a trash can where she was seen getting rid of a bag. In Nowak’s bag police found a steel mallet, a knife, a BB pistol, rubber tubing and several large garbage bags.

“Almost three years later, I’m still reeling from her vicious attack,” Shipman told Circuit Judge Marc L. Lubet after Nowak’s plea, holding back tears. “I know in my heart when Lisa Nowak attacked me, she was going to kill me.

“I believe I escaped a horrible death that night,” Shipman said. She described how she still fears for her life, suffers nightmares, migraines, high blood pressure and other medical problems and has bought a shotgun and has a concealed weapons permit. She now lives in Alaska with Oefelein.

“The world I knew before Lisa Nowak is unrecognizable,” Shipman said. “Every stranger I see is a potential attacker.”

After being told by the judge to face Shipman, Nowak apologized for the pain she brought to Shipman’s life. “I hope very much that we can all move forward from this with privacy and peace,” Nowak said.

Lubet ordered her to have no contact with Shipman or Oefelein.

“You brought this on yourself. I don’t have any sympathy for you in that respect,” Lubet told Nowak. The plea came after an appeals court ruled last year that diapers, latex gloves and other items found in Nowak’s car could be used as evidence in a trial that had been scheduled for next month, but her six-hour police interview after her arrest could not. The court said investigators took advantage of the former astronaut, who had not slept for more than 24 hours, coercing her into giving information.

Nowak, 46, is a married mother of three. She flew on the space shuttle in 2006, but was dismissed from the astronaut corps after her arrest and has since been on active duty at a Navy base in Corpus Christi, Texas. Oefelein, 44, also was forced out of NASA.

I can't believe they didn't mention that she wore adult diapers during the drive so she wouldn't have to stop to go to the bathroom.

I can't believe they didn't mention that she wore adult diapers during the drive so she wouldn't have to stop to go to the bathroom.

I know, its ideas like that one that make the astronauts a step above the rest.

When they refer to her as a "space cadet", they can mean it both ways.

Of course, she did begin that drive in Houston... .

I would be productive, seems to me, to just use the stun gun on the chicken. Then the pit bull would have a nice fried chicken dinner and be content.

Tampa man arrested for calling 911, asking for sex

Tampa man arrested for calling 911, asking for sex

http://www.marconews.com/news/2009/nov/13/tampa-man-arrested-calling-911-asking-sex/

TAMPA — Florida police say a man arrested for repeatedly calling 911 looking for sex claimed it was the only number he could dial after running out of cell phone minutes.

Tampa police said 29-year-old Joshua Basso made sexual comments to the 911 dispatcher and asked if he could come to her house. Investigators say she hung up, but he called back four more times.

He was arrested about 15 minutes later at his home late Wednesday and charged with making a false 911 call. Basso reportedly told officers that he didn't think he would get in trouble for calling 911.

Tampa jail records show Basso is being held without bond but don't indicate whether he has an attorney. He is listed as unemployed with arrests for theft and other crimes dating back to 2001.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34214814/ns/us_news-weird_news/?GT1=43001
Cops: Woman makes threat to delay flight
South Florida woman allegedly wanted to keep her boss from missing plane

updated 8:53 p.m. CT, Mon., Nov . 30, 2009

MIAMI - A South Florida woman has been charged with calling in a bomb threat to keep her boss from missing a flight. An arrest report said a 31-year-old woman was charged Thursday with making a false report of planting a bomb.

Miami International Airport officials received a call and an e-mail Wednesday claiming that a bomb was on an American Airlines plane. Police searched the specified aircraft but didn't find a bomb. Investigators tracked the e-mail to the woman's computer.

During questioning, the woman reportedly told police that her boss had been booked on the flight to Honduras, but she had caused him to be late for the flight. She thought the bomb threat would give her boss time to make it. The woman was being held on $7,500 bail.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/specials/weirdflorida/blog/2009/12/ronald_r_conkrights_troubles_f.html

Man calls 911 and invites deputies in to see his pot
Posted by Barbara Hijek on December 1, 2009 07:00 AM

Ronald R. Conkright's troubles first started when he called 911 and told the operator, "I'm looking for a friend. It was one last joke."

Pinellas County sheriff's deputies showed up at his St. Petersburg home but Conkright, 62, didn't answer the door. But he called 911 again. This time he reported a domestic dispute with his wife. The affidavit states he told the operator, "I hurt my wife and she is in heaven," reports the St. Petersburg Times.

Deputies arrived once again and asked Conkright about the call. He invited the deputies into his home to look for his wife, except it turns out he's not married. Then he showed them over 20 grams (0.7 ounces) of marijuana which was on his kitchen table.

Conkright then told the deputies, "You can arrest me now," according to the affidavit.

They did.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/12/09/Woman-arrested-for-alleged-steak-attack/UPI-57731260389470/

Woman arrested for alleged steak attack

OCALA, Fla., Dec. 9 (UPI) -- Police in Florida said they arrested a woman who allegedly attacked her disabled live-in boyfriend with a raw steak. Marion County sheriff's deputies said Elsie Egan, 53, was arrested Monday night when investigators visited her home on a call about a domestic disturbance, the Ocala (Fla.) Star-Banner reported Wednesday.

The victim, who suffers from terminal cancer and has limited mobility in his left leg due to swelling from an injury, told deputies he asked Egan for a roll instead of the sliced bread she gave him with dinner. He said she became enraged and hit in the head with an uncooked 10- to 16-ounce steak. Egan then allegedly struck the victim in the face with the meat and threw a bag of clothing at his bad leg.

Egan denied using the meat to strike the victim, who was not named, and repeatedly told a deputy she slapped him "so that he can learn." However, Egan told the Star-Banner she only "tapped him once in the head" with her hand. Deputies said Egan was charged with abusing a disabled adult and jailed in lieu of $2,500 bail. She was ordered not to have any contact with the victim.

I hate it when that happens.

Spoiler
Which part, when you get beaten with meat, or do the beating?

When a 53 y/o caregiver/girlfriend beats her disabled boyfriend with a raw steak. I just hate when that happens.

Makes sense. Its right outside of Gainesville. I bet Jorts were involved.

Makes sense. Its right outside of Gainesville. I bet Jorts were involved.

I am so wearing jorts to the PGA show.

You may be stranded.

Those would go good with a cut off Miami Dolphins jersey.

No, I am going to wear them with the official THP logo shirt and belt buckle so everyone knows I am an official representative of THP and THP style.

EDIT: Acid washed.

Just a quick mention that Harry will not be picked up at the airport and attending the PGA Show with THP.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back