The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

DJ is totally the 266th best golfer in the world, and Paul Casey definitely resides around the 800th ranking spot...

I am not interested in watching Liv. I would watch a Liv vs PGA event like the Ryder cup.
So, then you would be interested in watching LIV?

Merger question for all. When you envision the merger and all the best players playing together again, what are the events they are playing together in?
I think eventually the big names will only be playing in the Majors and top events. Playing week in and week out is no longer going to be a thing. Top Pros will pick their appearance schedule and show up when and where they want.

Merger question for all. When you envision the merger and all the best players playing together again, what are the events they are playing together in?
Some type of team based match event as well as a traditional stroke play fifth major.. the Players perhaps?

I think eventually the big names will only be playing in the Majors and top events. Playing week in and week out is no longer going to be a thing. Top Pros will pick their appearance schedule and show up when and where they want.
Weren’t they already doing that before the LIV split?

But what events? I guess what I’m getting at is do we want the best players back at the Memorial and The Players, etc or do we want them playing at brand new big money events? Which one are you more likely to watch? I envision the big players all playing the Tour events we’re all used to and that’s what I want, but I’m not convinced that’s how a merger would work and I’m not clear that what the merger would produce would actually be something I desire. Just curious what each persons vision is when they say “get the top players together again”. For instance I’m not really interested in an event just because the purse is huge. I’m interested in the event because the trophy is a big deal.

I’m interested in the event because the trophy is a big deal.
Which event is that outside of the ones with the largest purses?
Take away the Majors and the Players. Which events have a legacy that stands on its own.

Take away the Majors and the Players. Which events have a legacy that stands on its own.
Bay Hill, Memorial, Pebble Beach (more location specific), not much else honestly.

Bay Hill, Memorial, Pebble Beach (more location specific), not much else honestly.
That leaves a LOT of holes in the PGA Tour schedule if you like 3 tournaments and majors.
This is the exact reason why star power is needed and the ratings over the last 2 decades certainly support it in really every sport.

Now I understand why LIV has withdrawn their application to OWGR. Even if LIV players started getting points, there is no way most of the LIV players could get enough points to play anything on PGA for years and years, and perhaps never. Pro golf has gotten way too divided. Totally ridiculous.

Exactly and any notion of Jay just lifting the suspensions is pointless as most wouldn't qualify for any PGAT events.

OWGR really put the nail in coffin for any reconciliation and getting the best players in the world back together.

I really don't see any viable solution as to much damage has been done.

All this because of a niche event series with most events outside America.

Amazing.

That leaves a LOT of holes in the PGA Tour schedule if you like 3 tournaments and majors.
This is the exact reason why star power is needed and the ratings over the last 2 decades certainly support it in really every sport.
I agree. I’m just curious how quickly fans will adjust to new events and how successful these two leagues will be at getting the stars to commit to playing not only their current schedule but an additional few events as well.

PGAT pros are required to play in 15 events a season, but there's over 45 events, so they have a lot to pick and choose from.

Just rumors so grain of salt...

The players care about the players, they don't give a crap about fans and pro golf as a whole. They're content with the division and both sides will just play the long game.

Meanwhile, on the ladies' side, there is no division in golf and we get great fields at most events including the Aramco events.

Honestly the majors prefer it this way is my guess.

That’s a lot tougher question than it used to be, that’s for sure. If I’m being honest and outside of the majors and the Players? Riviera, Memorial, Bay Hill (and that is honestly a reach now), maybe the Wells Fargo half the time, the BMW (because if you play well enough, you get to the Tour Champ) and the Tour Champ (because that gets you into the majors)

The rest? Really not that great anymore. Torrey has lost its luster a bit the last bit really since Rahm won it. AT&T? The proam is an absolute bore even with Pebble and Spyglass. I adore Spyglass and Pebble is iconic, but the format just sucks with near 6hr rounds. Honda? They’re making it easier. No one should shoot near -20 at PGA National for 4 days. I get the wind was down, but so was the rough length. PGA National doesn’t exactly scream 59 watch, but there were several chances with people turning in 30 or lower.

Selfishly, I wish the Valspar was better but the course is hard and the field reflects that most of the time with big names typically skipping it.

As I've pointed out more than once, the problem with unification and why it won't work is the LIV backlash, there's too many players, fans, clubs, and sponsors that don't want anything to do the Saudis, and no argument that may or may not be valid is going to change those minds, it's over.

The PGAT knows it, but they don't know what else to do, they can't keep bleeding players, but they can't play ball with the Saudis, there is no elegant solution, which is why there is no merger.

My thinking is let this all play out, if LIV wants to keep on paying guys for almost no gain in interest from fans and sponsors let them, the PGAT is going to be a field of nobodies and maybe they have to make drastic changes to own it, take what they can get now. But no matter what LIV will not get the support of the US community, the only community that really matters, and we'll see how long they can last.

I doubt the PGAT really does that though, they probably have to buckle and merge, but it won't turn out all rosy IMO, it will get ugly.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
As I've pointed out more than once, the problem with unification and why it won't work is the LIV backlash, there's too many players, fans, clubs, and sponsors that don't want anything to do the Saudis, and no argument that may or may not be valid is going to change those minds, it's over.

The PGAT knows it, but they don't know what else to do, they can't keep bleeding players, but they can't play ball with the Saudis, there is no elegant solution, which is why there is no merger.

My thinking is let this all play out, if LIV wants to keep on paying guys for almost no gain in interest from fans and sponsors let them, the PGAT is going to be a field of nobodies and maybe they have to make drastic changes to own it, take what they can get now. But no matter what LIV will not get the support of the US community, the only community that really matters, and we'll see how long they can last.

I doubt the PGAT really does that though, they probably have to buckle and merge, but it won't turn out all rosy IMO, it will get ugly.
You could let Liv play itself out. There's plenty of talent in the USA and the world that could use the opportunity to shine.

It's about time somebody has done something to break the stranglehold on professional golf enjoyed by the USPGA Tour. It is fun to watch.

So I am not American for liking LIV golf?

This is so wrong. It is a tad hypocritical to complain about the Saudis while taking their money years before this happened. The OGWR can fix this by applying the points from LIV retroactively and bingo the ratings have relevance and somebody, not Monahan, figure out how to get the best players into events. You know, for the good of the game.

Back