The Movie Review Thread

IM3 really didn't do it for me. It wasn't bad, but not good by any means.

Spoiler
I wanted to see more Iron Man at his best fighting this guy. He was always switching suits and the suits were malfunctioning and all this crap. I wanted him at 100% taking down this dude. Plus, making The Mandarin into a joke really put me off. He's supposed to be a really badass dude. I also hated the lack of development on Iron Patriot as a gov't figure.

Silver Lining: Paltrow is HOT in a Sports Bra. Plus, I enjoyed the story of Stark's personal demons.

Yes that's put into words better than I could have . I have the same sentiments

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I saw The Great Gatsby last night. If I had to put a score to it, it would be an 8/10. It's my favorite book of all time, so my expectations were pretty high. It mostly delivered.

TO THE SPOILER FOR MY INFO:
Spoiler
Some notes about the story first, I felt like Baz (the director) was cornered by the book. There are so many dimensions to the book that it would take way to long to develop all of them to the level they properly deserved. By choosing the most obvious one, which Gatsby and Daisy's relationship, he was able to focus everything on that. It worked and I was happy with it.

Cons:
-MAJOR Pacing issues. The beginning felt unnecessarily slow and then the last 30 minutes were just all over the place and seemed rushed. I don't know if that's the point, because the book is the same way a little bit, but it's so abrupt that it confused me.
-Jordan Baker's character was useless, which really bugged me. She's a major character in the book, and here, she just sits around and offers little commentary. We don't even know that at one point she dates Nick! Would've love to taken 20 minutes to sort her out.
-The story of Gatsby's upbringing is rushed over in a 2 minute period. It's a major part of the book and I think it deserved a little more time to explain it.

Pros:
-Well Cast and Well Acted. Everyone did an amazing job in their roles. Special props go to Leo and Tobey. They worked super well together and that was one of the things I enjoyed the most. Isla Fischer as Myrtle was a great cast. She was wonderful.
-Stayed true to the book. The one thing I was really worried about. The majority of the story, while skipping over some areas, stayed true to the book.
-THE END. I can't put into words how well the last 10 minutes were done. It was one of those moments where you can just put a bow on it and be done with it. No Strings Attached. Baz took the last page or so directly from the book and put it directly into the script and it really showed what the book was all about. Instead of saying, well it's over; he died. They went the extra mile to explain each character and how the book explained them at the end. Especially the significance of Gatsby as a person. It just made it perfect for me.

I'm seeing Star Trek tonight. I can't wait.

I saw The Great Gatsby last night. If I had to put a score to it, it would be an 8/10. It's my favorite book of all time, so my expectations were pretty high. It mostly delivered.

TO THE SPOILER FOR MY INFO:
Spoiler
Some notes about the story first, I felt like Baz (the director) was cornered by the book. There are so many dimensions to the book that it would take way to long to develop all of them to the level they properly deserved. By choosing the most obvious one, which Gatsby and Daisy's relationship, he was able to focus everything on that. It worked and I was happy with it.

Cons:
-MAJOR Pacing issues. The beginning felt unnecessarily slow and then the last 30 minutes were just all over the place and seemed rushed. I don't know if that's the point, because the book is the same way a little bit, but it's so abrupt that it confused me.
-Jordan Baker's character was useless, which really bugged me. She's a major character in the book, and here, she just sits around and offers little commentary. We don't even know that at one point she dates Nick! Would've love to taken 20 minutes to sort her out.
-The story of Gatsby's upbringing is rushed over in a 2 minute period. It's a major part of the book and I think it deserved a little more time to explain it.

Pros:
-Well Cast and Well Acted. Everyone did an amazing job in their roles. Special props go the Leo and Tobey. They worked super well together and that was one of the things I enjoyed the most. Isla Fischer as Myrtle was a great cast. She was wonderful.
-Stayed true the book. The one thing I was really worried about. The majority of the story, while skipping over some areas, stayed true to the book.
-THE END. I can't put into words how well the last 10 minutes were done. It was one of those moments where you can just put a bow on it and be done with it. No Strings Attached. Baz took the last page or so directly from the book and put it directly into the script and it really showed what the book was all about. Instead of saying, well it's over; he died. They went the extra mile to explain each character and how the book explained them at the end. Especially the significance of Gatsby as a person. It just made it perfect for me.

Interesting thoughts. I personally thought it was pretty awful. I would rate it more in the 5-6 range at best. I would go as far as to say they did the book a major major disservice

Interesting thoughts. I personally thought it was pretty awful. I would rate it more in the 5-6 range at best. I would go as far as to say they did the book a major major disservice

Because I think people went into it thinking they would go over every little nuance of the book, when that simply isn't possible for a movie. There's too many dimensions to the book.

Because I think people went into it thinking they would go over every little nuance of the book, when that simply isn't possible for a movie. There's too many dimensions to the book.

The beauty of movies is everyone seems to get something different out of them. I dont think your opinion is bad, just different from mine. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and didnt enjoy the movie really at all

The beauty of movies is everyone seems to get something different out of them. I dont think your opinion is bad, just different from mine. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and didnt enjoy the movie really at all

Understood and I think it's easy to do that. Expectations were super high for this movie.

I'm seeing Star Trek tonight. I can't wait.

Interested to hear your thoughts - I'm pumped for this movie, and I'm hoping it meets my expectations a little more than IM3 did.

The 2 films that we both want to see are Ironman 3 and Star Trek, just need to find the time to get out

Other than those, we haven't seen anything new lately, watched a couple of films on blu-ray at home and kinda wondering why I picked up The Hunger Games as I didn't enjoy it as much as a lot of people were hyping it

We had date night last & saw Hangover 3. It has it's moments but nothing will ever be as funny as the first one. Everything really ties together to end it all and some flashbacks to the first 2 movies.

We had date night last & saw Hangover 3. It has it's moments but nothing will ever be as funny as the first one. Everything really ties together to end it all and some flashbacks to the first 2 movies.

better than #2?

This new Superman movie is looking better and better as these trailers come out.

going to see F6 tonight with the buds and probably hangover 3 tomorrow with the wifey. we always make the FNF series a spectacle, and we love the series for how over the top its getting now haha. hilarious series of movies.

Hangover 3 i don't really have big expectations for, will be going just out of regularity

Went to see Star Trek in 3d. It was great! Thought I got speared once! The effects were very good. Agree with Nate the Superman movie looks good.

Yeah I saw this last night, too. It doesn't come close to the first one and seemed to be the more mellow of the three movies. Good laughs here and there but I was expecting more craziness in Vegas.

Here is the latest trailer for Man of Steel. I think the best of the trailers thus far.

I watched Promised Land last night. I thought it was a fantastic movie. Very well acted.

I watched Promised Land last night. I thought it was a fantastic movie. Very well acted.
Is that the one with Matt Damon and John Krasinski from the Office? I saw the previews for it but never saw it in theaters. Does it have a good storyline like the previews suggest?

Is that the one with Matt Damon and John Krasinski from the Office? I saw the previews for it but never saw it in theaters. Does it have a good storyline like the previews suggest?

Yes to all questions. I really enjoys the movie.

I haven't seen a movie in a theatre in about four years (since my daughter was born). I may try to do it this week with the wife and daughter out.

Two questions:

1) is it worth the extra $5-8 for 3D and IMAX?

2) when the heck did movies become so expensive? (Get off of my lawn)

I haven't seen a movie in a theatre in about four years (since my daughter was born). I may try to do it this week with the wife and daughter out.

Two questions:

1) is it worth the extra $5-8 for 3D and IMAX?

2) when the heck did movies become so expensive? (Get off of my lawn)

To answer #2 first: About 4 years ago.

#1: depends on the movie.

To answer #2 first: About 4 years ago.

#1: depends on the movie.

Figures.

Star Trek and/or Iron Man. Both seem like 3D or IMAX would be worth it.

Back