The Official 2011 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, the only bits I have seen are the National Championship game and Sunday's game. He just seemed to get a little detached once he started making some bad throws. I have not seen a ton of his body of work to know for sure.

Go back and watch game tapes of Aikman and Manning from their rookie years after those bad throws. Or any really good QB for that matter. There are times in the rookie season that they have to sit and think for a minute. You have to remember, these guys that are #1 picks have NEVER been losing before. They have never been mistake ridden. They were always "better" than everybody else on the field. Its an adjustment and one that is overlooked. The good ones are the leaders that get it done with teammates. Im not a Cam fan, but he is one of those guys. If you read through the draft thread you will see how many said "epic fail" and compared him to JaMarcus. its clear they never saw him play, because they have nothing in common outside of the SEC, winning in 1 year and a certain other thing I wont touch on. This guy has every skill that makes scouts drool, but that is not why he went #1 overall. He went #1 overall because teams were absolutely in love with his leadership abilities and how game smart he is.

Will it translate? Only time will tell, but if this is a glimpse, I think its pretty scary how good he can be.

JB - I watched a good quaterback make bad throws for 16 years. I am not going to go look at tape.

I know the guy is a rookie and that he should get better. I said earlier that once he learns the NFL game he may start to get really scary. But the Panthers still have to run the ball more than 10 times a game.

Unless the Colts want to be a part of the Andrew Luck sweepstakes, how do they not go out and sign. say, David Garrard to help them win some games? Assuming Garrard hasn't signed some place that I missed. They look turrible

JB - I watched a good quaterback make bad throws for 16 years. I am not going to go look at tape.

I know the guy is a rookie and that he should get better. I said earlier that once he learns the NFL game he may start to get really scary. But the Panthers still have to run the ball more than 10 times a game.

Why? There have been some crazy successful teams in the NFL as of late that dont run the ball that well. I can think of quite a few super bowl champions in the last 10 years that we could say that about. Its a different game and if you use the pass to open up the run and it works, then why change it? There offense is not the problem and why are not winning early. Not in my opinion anyway.

Aikman was 1 - 15 the first year. Cowboys were terrible. Carolina is not much better, it will be a long hard road for Newton this year. I hope he does well, he is fun to watch.

Now that fragile Fred isn't playing I think Felix Jones might be the new fragile.

Tapatalk: even Romosexuals use it

Now that fragile Fred isn't playing I think Felix Jones might be the new fragile.

Tapatalk: even Romosexuals use it

Is he more fragile than Dez? Or does it just have a better ring to it? hehe

Why? There have been some crazy successful teams in the NFL as of late that dont run the ball that well. I can think of quite a few super bowl champions in the last 10 years that we could say that about. Its a different game and if you use the pass to open up the run and it works, then why change it? There offense is not the problem and why are not winning early. Not in my opinion anyway.

I think it is a little of both sides of the field. The defense did give up some really big plays yesterday. You do have to consider that they were playing GB. They are known for big plays like that. The secondary is really young and that showed yesterday.

I think the run game needs to be better. I don't think we need to go back to the old style of running on every first down. It would be nice to have in the red zone. I think Cam had more rushing yards than both RB combined yesterday. I like that he takes the risk, but that is going to get him hurt.

Aikman was 1 - 15 the first year. Cowboys were terrible. Carolina is not much better, it will be a long hard road for Newton this year. I hope he does well, he is fun to watch.

You are right, it will be a long year for them. But at least they are competitive this year, and are actually in the games compared to just getting blown out. Have to start somewhere.

The threat of the run I guess is what I mean. Right now Carolina has no running threat, even though they have two really good running backs. If all they do is throw the ball 60 times a game, somebody is going to make it difficult for Cam.

The Colts and Patriots were the most successfull when they had a rusher who could get 4-6 yards a carry. Green Bay last year got better once James Starks showed he could get 4-6. The Panthers just need to show some effort to run the ball.

Maybe if he played on your team you might! I didn't care much for John Elway, but if he had played for Kansas City, I would have a different opinion!

Nah, I just don't like him. Its just one of those things.

I don't like Aaron Rogers either and he plays for my team...but I do like him winning for them lol

The threat of the run I guess is what I mean. Right now Carolina has no running threat, even though they have two really good running backs. If all they do is throw the ball 60 times a game, somebody is going to make it difficult for Cam.

The Colts and Patriots were the most successfull when they had a rusher who could get 4-6 yards a carry. Green Bay last year got better once James Starks showed he could get 4-6. The Panthers just need to show some effort to run the ball.

Averaging 6 yards a carry is a rare feat for a full season. Averaging 4 yards a carry is considered average and good enough in the NFL.

Ellis - New England has not averaged more than 4.4 in any of the last 4 seasons.
Maroney - New England was anywhere from 3.6 to 4.2 in his seasons.
Addai - Indy Anywhere from 3.5 to 4.8 on average the last 6 years. I believe superbowl year he was just slightly under 4 or slightly over 4.
Saints - RB by committee with none of them doing all that well.

In fact come to think about it, with the exception of the Steelers (and even that can be argued), I dont think there has been a dominant running game win the Super Bowl in quite some time. THe NFL is changing and some of the best teams across the board throw to open the run, not the other way around like it used to be.

In fact come to think about it, with the exception of the Steelers (and even that can be argued), I dont think there has been a dominant running game win the Super Bowl in quite some time. THe NFL is changing and some of the best teams across the board throw to open the run, not the other way around like it used to be.

I think that is in part to the way QBs are protected more in today's game. Troy Aikman was talking about that a bit during the Saints-Bears game.

I think that is in part to the way QBs are protected more in today's game. Troy Aikman was talking about that a bit during the Saints-Bears game.

Agreed. The league is definitely a passing league now. QB protection, zone defenses that take away big plays, and so much more.

Averaging 6 yards a carry is a rare feat for a full season. Averaging 4 yards a carry is considered average and good enough in the NFL.

Ellis - New England has not averaged more than 4.4 in any of the last 4 seasons.
Maroney - New England was anywhere from 3.6 to 4.2 in his seasons.
Addai - Indy Anywhere from 3.5 to 4.8 on average the last 6 years. I believe superbowl year he was just slightly under 4 or slightly over 4.
Saints - RB by committee with none of them doing all that well.

I agree that the running game is less of a focus. But all of those guys at least possed a threat of a big run. And their teams gave them more than 10 carries a game to do so. Having to stay honest against the run forces defenses to at least think about play action. I don't know how some sort of running game wouldn't help Cam's development. Even if that running game only gained 3 or 4 yards a carry.

I agree that the running game is less of a focus. But all of those guys at least possed a threat of a big run. And their teams gave them more than 10 carries a game to do so. Having to stay honest against the run forces defenses to at least think about play action. I don't know how some sort of running game wouldn't help Cam's development. Even if that running game only gained 3 or 4 yards a carry.

Williams and Stewart do pose a threat imo.

Williams and Stewart do pose a threat imo.

They most certainly do. But 11 rushing attempts between the two of them will not do anything reinforce that threat. If anything, it showed that the Panthers were willing to just let Cam chuck the ball every. Once the field got smaller on Cam, he struggled. A running game should open that up. The Panthers have the backs to do so, I just wonder why they didn't use them.

Carolina had 21 runs against GB. 11 with RBs and 10 with Cam.
Green Bay had 21 runs against Carolina. 15 with RBs and 5 with Rodgers.
Not sure what the big difference is there?

Carolina had 27 runs against AZ. 19 with RBs and 8 with Cam.
Arizona had 25 runs against Carolina 20 with RBs and 5 with Kolb.

Hmmmm

Carolina had 21 runs against GB. 11 with RBs and 10 with Cam.
Green Bay had 21 runs against Carolina. 15 with RBs and 5 with Rodgers.
Not sure what the big difference is there?

Carolina had 27 runs against AZ. 19 with RBs and 8 with Cam.
Arizona had 25 runs against Carolina 20 with RBs and 5 with Kolb.

Hmmmm

Look at the yards per carry though. I also look at the interceptions that he threw. He threw a pick on a 1st and 10 and a 2nd and 9. The third pick was on a 3rd and 10. All three of the picks were in his own territory. He was shortening the field for the Packers. The less times he has to throw the ball, I feel like he would have fewer "rookie mistakes".

Look at the yards per carry though. I also look at the interceptions that he threw. He threw a pick on a 1st and 10 and a 2nd and 9. The third pick was on a 3rd and 10. All three of the picks were in his own territory. He was shortening the field for the Packers. The less times he has to throw the ball, I feel like he would have fewer "rookie mistakes".

They have had almost the same amount of carries as their opponents.
Yards per carry. Carolina RBs are averaging less than 2.9 yards a carry this year. As I said, because teams are stacking the box against them.

They have had almost the same amount of carries as their opponents.
Yards per carry. Carolina RBs are averaging less than 2.9 yards a carry this year. As I said, because teams are stacking the box against them.

You might be right that the opposition has been stacking the box, I wasn't paying attention during the game yesterday. It just felt like the Panthers totally abandoned the run early in the game.

On a homer note - the Packers run defense is looking really good this year (even though they have played the Saints and Panthers - and gave up 800+ yards passing)

Injury news on "MRI Monday"....

All of these guys are done for the year: torn ACLs for Jamaal Charles (Chiefs), Thomas Davis (Panthers), and Jordan Shipley (Bengals). Nick Collins (Packers) is also out for the year with a neck injury.

Aaron Hernandez, half of the two-headed Patriots tight end monster, has an MCL injury. He's out at least 1-2 weeks, although one media member is saying that he may be out for 4-6 weeks depending on the MRI results.

Miles Austin has a hamstring injury, his status will be week-to-week although the Cowboys may hold him out until Week 6, which is after their bye week. Felix Jones' shoulder injury isn't as bad as initially feared, he could play on Monday night vs. the Redskins.

Injury news on "MRI Monday"....

All of these guys are done for the year: torn ACLs for Jamaal Charles (Chiefs), Thomas Davis (Panthers), and Jordan Shipley (Bengals). Nick Collins (Packers) is also out for the year with a neck injury.

Aaron Hernandez, half of the two-headed Patriots tight end monster, has an MCL injury. He's out at least 1-2 weeks, although one media member is saying that he may be out for 4-6 weeks depending on the MRI results.

Miles Austin has a hamstring injury, his status will be week-to-week although the Cowboys may hold him out until Week 6, which is after their bye week. Felix Jones' shoulder injury isn't as bad as initially feared, he could play on Monday night vs. the Redskins.

Looks like my fantasy roster just opened up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back