The Putting Challenge

Out of curiosity, is everyone else using the blade or the mallet? Im using the mallet and wondering if that is affecting my perception.
Using the mallet. As for sound I honestly can't tell a difference in sound between my putters unless I hit them back to back. Now speed off the face is a completely different story.

Out of curiosity, is everyone else using the blade or the mallet? Im using the mallet and wondering if that is affecting my perception.
I went with the bade. Very probable that they have extremely different feels.

I’m using the mallet, so now I too am curious

I will be playing a sim round tomorrow and will be bringing the Lean Lock for its maiden "voyage". This will be my first attempt at speed control... Wish me luck!

I will be playing a sim round tomorrow and will be bringing the Lean Lock for its maiden "voyage". This will be my first attempt at speed control... Wish me luck!
Once you get it down, you’ll be very happy. I continue to put balls in the sweet spot on my putout pressure trainer with this putter. So many stick now that I’m not happy unless I get it to stick within 2-3 balls rolled.

I’m still struggling just a little with initial alignment, but it seems to be getting better everytime. My miss is roughly 1” from the cup @10’.

Once you get it down, you’ll be very happy. I continue to put balls in the sweet spot on my putout pressure trainer with this putter. So many stick now that I’m not happy unless I get it to stick within 2-3 balls rolled.

I’m still struggling just a little with initial alignment, but it seems to be getting better everytime. My miss is roughly 1” from the cup @10’.
That's pretty darn good. I definitely did not feel that confident today in my sim round... But it was mainly speed that was the issue. Which maybe isn't surprising given up till this point I've only rolled on my 6' PuttOut mat. I also agree that initial alignment is a little dicey for me, again likely because of how I've practiced so far - the mat has lots of alignment lines on it, and it's a little tougher without that. That said though, line wise I was doing pretty well even with that challenge.

How long have you been using the Lean Lock?

That's pretty darn good. I definitely did not feel that confident today in my sim round... But it was mainly speed that was the issue. Which maybe isn't surprising given up till this point I've only rolled on my 6' PuttOut mat. I also agree that initial alignment is a little dicey for me, again likely because of how I've practiced so far - the mat has lots of alignment lines on it, and it's a little tougher without that. That said though, line wise I was doing pretty well even with that challenge.

How long have you been using the Lean Lock?
I won it (here) a little over a month ago I believe. Only one round out in the wild mostly carpet or mat putts to this point.

I feel like I would battle alignment a bit to start. It sounds like the practice with it is showing that this is a solid option for you…at least indoors at this time right?

I feel like I would battle alignment a bit to start. It sounds like the practice with it is showing that this is a solid option for you…at least indoors at this time right?
That’s right, I’ve only been able to get out for one round with it so far. Almost all office carpet or putting mat so far.

That’s right, I’ve only been able to get out for one round with it so far. Almost all office carpet or putting mat so far.
Great way to get comfortable with it though right?

Yeah, I hit 10-50 putts every day, 5-10 at a time. I use that as a quick distraction from work, which is rediculous this time of year 😂

Yeah, I hit 10-50 putts every day, 5-10 at a time. I use that as a quick distraction from work, which is rediculous this time of year 😂
Been putting on the putt out mat every night to get comfortable on my end. The lock in feel is there for me. Just need to get speed under control.

Been putting on the putt out mat every night to get comfortable on my end. The lock in feel is there for me. Just need to get speed under control.
Speed is the issue so far for me as well. Line isn't perfect but it's much better than I was expecting this early.

I'll be uploading some videos and some other information later tonight, as well as sending to Brian for his review.

I'll be uploading some videos and some other information later tonight, as well as sending to Brian for his review.
I got my comments back from Brian and appears I'm pretty on track with one adjustment to my trail side height. Going to practice those changes this weekend and send new videos over next week for a follow up.

Implemented Brian's comments on keeping the trail side lower then how I was in practice tonight. Noticed immediately that my stroke overall was smoother and more comfortable. It felt like it just unlocked my body for the stroke.

Here are a few videos of what I sent Brian for feedback. As I said to him, line isn't as much of a struggle so far as speed. I included a video of me with my Odyssey to compare speed - as you can see all the Lean Lock putts are going way up the back of the trainer and the Odyssey is almost sticking right in the small target on the PuttOut. I THINK I need to open up a little more and focus harder on the longer/low takeaway and short follow through, but I'll let you guys know what Brian says.

Also note the sound comparison between the Lean Lock and the Odyssey. My ears aren't hearing a significant difference, but it's possible that I'm just not as sensitive to it as some. Or that the Odyssey is just on the higher pitched side as well.

View attachment 1000002373.mp4

View attachment 1000002375.mp4

View attachment 1000002376.mp4

Took the Lean Lock out into the wild for the first time today. Strokes gained 2023 with putter is losing 2.61 strokes to a 10 handicap. Last 10 rounds it was 2.64. Today's round is below.
1702863289626.png

Really went well. I am hoping this is not a honey moon phase or anything like that, but right now I have the confidence to get over the putt and know I am going to hit my intended line with the pace I want. The variables in my mind is if the line I choose is right and that I chose the right pace. Just really excited to see a swing of 4 strokes in my first round with it. As for tee shots I am normally north of gaining 2 per round, but that is what really held me back from breaking 80 today. But historically a round with bad tee shots would of resulted in a score pushing close to high 80's instead of solid 83. Excited to see what the future brings with the putter.

Here are a few videos of what I sent Brian for feedback. As I said to him, line isn't as much of a struggle so far as speed. I included a video of me with my Odyssey to compare speed - as you can see all the Lean Lock putts are going way up the back of the trainer and the Odyssey is almost sticking right in the small target on the PuttOut. I THINK I need to open up a little more and focus harder on the longer/low takeaway and short follow through, but I'll let you guys know what Brian says.

Also note the sound comparison between the Lean Lock and the Odyssey. My ears aren't hearing a significant difference, but it's possible that I'm just not as sensitive to it as some. Or that the Odyssey is just on the higher pitched side as well.

View attachment 9230684

View attachment 9230685

View attachment 9230686
Your stroke looks pretty different though between the two. So if aim isn’t as much of an issue once you get more comfortable I’m sure you’ll be doing awesome.

Your stroke looks pretty different though between the two. So if aim isn’t as much of an issue once you get more comfortable I’m sure you’ll be doing awesome.
Very much so! Yes I definitely like what I am seeing line wise. I rolled another 20 or so tonight from 4-6 feet and didn't miss the PuttOut once and had a couple in the small spot. So I think speed is getting better.

Took the Lean Lock out into the wild for the first time today. Strokes gained 2023 with putter is losing 2.61 strokes to a 10 handicap. Last 10 rounds it was 2.64. Today's round is below.
View attachment 9230942

Really went well. I am hoping this is not a honey moon phase or anything like that, but right now I have the confidence to get over the putt and know I am going to hit my intended line with the pace I want. The variables in my mind is if the line I choose is right and that I chose the right pace. Just really excited to see a swing of 4 strokes in my first round with it. As for tee shots I am normally north of gaining 2 per round, but that is what really held me back from breaking 80 today. But historically a round with bad tee shots would of resulted in a score pushing close to high 80's instead of solid 83. Excited to see what the future brings with the putter.
Well that's sure promising!

View attachment 9230684

View attachment 9230685

View attachment 9230686
That’s a really solid-sounding putter. Some great feedback in this thread so far guys!

Only played 9 today because the mosquitoes were so bad they ran me off. The good news is the putting felt fairly good. I know I have a lot to work on still. Pace felt much more natural today. Only had 1 3putt but that was all me, big breaking downhill putt that I misread both break and speed and blew it 15 ft past. The one thing I noticed today was that it was hard to line up for enough break on a left to right putt. With starting open already as the method wants you to do it feels like you REALLY have to aim left. I need to work on a shorter follow through, I realized how long I still am watching the videos.

Anyway, here are the videos I sent to Brian. The putt was about 14-15 ft and fairly straight.

View attachment 9230942

Really went well. I am hoping this is not a honey moon phase or anything like that, but right now I have the confidence to get over the putt and know I am going to hit my intended line with the pace I want. The variables in my mind is if the line I choose is right and that I chose the right pace. Just really excited to see a swing of 4 strokes in my first round with it. As for tee shots I am normally north of gaining 2 per round, but that is what really held me back from breaking 80 today. But historically a round with bad tee shots would have resulted in a score pushing close to high 80's instead of solid 83. Excited to see what the future brings with the putter.
having that extra level of confidence knowing there are fewer stroke variables is really interesting. Glad the early returns are positive!

I haven't been able to practice with the Lean Lock nearly as much as I would like to. Back has been just killing me and they took me off my prednisone. (My back chasing me out of bed is why I am posting at this time of the morning) What I will say from my numerous, truncated practice sessions. Yes, its hot off the face. Nut not crazy fast. Just a little learning curve. I am not sure if the speed is due to the actual face being hot, or the technique.
The entire program is brilliant. The open stance, the weight on the back foot, the upstroke strike with right hand dominance. My balls are rolling better than they have in ages. I just need to get more comfortable with, and consistent in setup. That will only come with practice, which I cant do a lot of at the moment. But I see a LOT of promise in this putter and technique.

Might actually get to play golf on Thursday and write some stuff up. Work got a little busy before the holidays so no life has been had the last near two weeks.

Back