The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use an 8 or 9i with a putting-like stroke from tight lies. They don't have that leading edge that digs into the turf and can't hit them fat.

I'm hoping to hit the range tonight but it's about 11 hours away. Feels like an eternity right now lol.

I thought of doing that but didnt like a dumb dumb. Will give it a look tonight.

I'd use a lower loft and a putting stroke like Canes mentioned. Even a PW. Ball back (so your hands are in front of it), weight forward, and really focus on making it a shoulder rock like a putt. The ball will come out low and running.

I'd use a lower loft and a putting stroke like Canes mentioned. Even a PW. Ball back (so your hands are in front of it), weight forward, and really focus on making it a shoulder rock like a putt. The ball will come out low and running.

Going to play around with a few things tonight but this was at the top of my list. Thanks!

Should simplify it for you. Really, you can use other lofts too, but if we're talking a real chip shot you can get away with less loft and more run.

Should simplify it for you. Really, you can use other lofts too, but if we're talking a real chip shot you can get away with less loft and more run.

Just dont come out of the stroke early and stand up to watch early like I do

#BladeCity

I may head to the range for the a bit tonight and work on chipping from tight lies. I am a mess right now. Anyone have any tips? Freddie's tip out of the sand about ball position and weight forward has made a HUUUGE difference to me. Since that tip I have gotten up and on to the green every single time in 1 shot which is a huge change for me.

It's amazing how different people use different strategies... In the bunker I definitely play the ball ahead but I bend my knees like I'm about to sit down on a stool and allow some of my weight to get behind me. For as much as my sand game has improved over the last year, that steeper move into the ball seems to be really working with an open face.

Tight lies around the green? If I'm not using a 58* wedge it's going to be a hybrid. I'd far rather make a putting stroke with a hybrid over a 9 iron.

It's amazing how different people use different strategies... In the bunker I definitely play the ball ahead but I bend my knees like I'm about to sit down on a stool and allow some of my weight to get behind me. For as much as my sand game has improved over the last year, that steeper move into the ball seems to be really working with an open face.

Tight lies around the green? If I'm not using a 58* wedge it's going to be a hybrid. I'd far rather make a putting stroke with a hybrid over a 9 iron.

A shot I used to use all the time and have NO clue why I stopped. Used to chip w hybos and fairways all the time, and was quite successful with it too.

I always worry about the ball coming out too hot with a hybrid. It's not something I've practiced much though.

I always worry about the ball coming out too hot with a hybrid. It's not something I've practiced much though.

I always liked it because it does come off hot, takes basically a miniscule putt stroke. At some point I started getting cute around the greens with flops and such and have no damn clue why now that I think back on it.

The bunker position is a basic position and something I am using just to get the ball out and up. There are obviously alot of different ways to do it and generate more spin but I am not at that point. Just keeping it basic and it has helped me alot.

I'll play around with it. I like options.

A shot I used to use all the time and have NO clue why I stopped. Used to chip w hybos and fairways all the time, and was quite successful with it too.

The ball is going to make contact most times with a greater amount of surface area on a hybrid as far as I'm concerned. Maybe solid contact gives it that 'hot' feeling, but it's got to be far more consistent than hitting the middle of the equator of a golf ball with the leading edge of a 9 iron.

I usually just toe down when I want the ball to run anyway and change the club based on the length. I'm always open to new things though.

When in doubt, FLOPPASAURUS!!!!

Ha! That's another one I rarely use. I will open up the face a little here and there, but it's a shot I don't gravitate towards under pressure.

Here is a dumb question for you guys. For my whole life I have hit a pretty much straight ball. Due to some swing changes I am now playing a little bit of a draw. Here is the dumb question, do you just basically aim a little off the green and draw it back in? Or should I be setting up the same?

Last edited:
Others will have a better answer for you than I will Ricky. The only thing I try not to do is aim directly at trouble, in the event the ball does go straight. I still do it sometimes though.

Others will have a better answer for you than I will Ricky. The only thing I try not to do is aim directly at trouble, in the event the ball does go straight. I still do it sometimes though.

That was kind of my question. I dont really trust it enough to fully aim to where the ball isnt going. But almost every single iron shot was a draw yesterday.

That was kind of my question. I dont really trust it enough to fully aim to where the ball isnt going. But almost every single iron shot was a draw yesterday.

That sounds like a horrible problem to have Ricky. :alien:

Just bustin on ya. I am happy that your swing changes are taking shape. It's so much fun to see the hard work pay off.

That sounds like a horrible problem to have Ricky. :alien:

Just bustin on ya. I am happy that your swing changes are taking shape. It's so much fun to see the hard work pay off.

Because I dont trust it I ended up on the back of alot of greens as the ball was running away from the hole. I had the distance right. If I played the draw I would have had alot better chance at birdie. But how does one get comfortable enough to trust it I guess.

I'm quite similar in this. Either straight or a slight draw. Try to visualize the shot and align myself where both a straight ball or draw will still be in a safe spot. Don't RELY on the draw to put you in a safe spot.

Here is a dumb question for you guys. For my whole life I have hit a pretty much straight ball. Due to some swing changes I am now playing a little bit of a fade. Here is the dumb question, do you just basically aim a little off the green and draw it back in? Or should I be setting up the same?

A draw fade? haha, what are you talking about here fella?

I generally play to my draw, which means I'll aim a bit right of my target, but not enough to be off the green if it goes straight. I look at it like a 40 foot area where if I miss straight or draw, I'll still have a nice opportunity to make a putt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back