The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nate and Ary have you guys notice the stopping power too? I'm doing things with a golfball on the green that I've not seen in years...lol

I got quite a bit of work today on my putting and short irons. I am coming in much steeper this year and taking some healthy divots. I really like the way I am hitting my wedges and I was hitting my target on a regular basis with thise tricky partial swing shots. I also spent some time in the bunker as it was a weak spot in my round yeaterday. I just needed some practice to gain the confidence of taking a full swing and watching the ball and sand fly high and land soft. I also worked on a few putting drills for my SPi instructor.

Trying not to get too excited about my range session today, but I had a breakthrough. I had played around a little bit last year with keeping my weight a little more forward in my setup instead of having it 50-50 between both feet, but that went away when I took the long winter break from playing golf. Anyways, watching some Martin Chuck videos on YouTube over the weekend made me think about it again, as he advocates having the weight a little more forward at setup and in the backswing because it makes it easier to get your weight over your front leg at impact.

Anyways, I was hitting my sand wedge and hitting it about 90-95 yards at first (was going for a 100 yard flag). I started to experiment with more weight on my front (left) leg and found that I could hit some shots with that were carrying the 100 yard flag and had a good trajectory. After that, I moved onto my 8 iron and aimed at a 145 yard flag. 8 iron is usually my 150 club, I wanted to hit something where on a regular swing, I'd be able to at least get to that flag instead of feeling like I had to kill a 9 iron. Well, with some of the swings focusing on keeping the weight a little more on the left leg and taking a more controlled backswing (aka not overswinging!), I had some shots that looked to be carrying the 145 yard flag by at least 10 yards. There's a short wood fence on our range that's about 165 yards out that has a hill behind it, and I hit a couple of shots that one-hopped over the fence and ended up on the hill behind the fence, so that would probably be a 160 yard carry with an 8 iron. It was a little downwind, but still, that's a huge 8 iron for me! Of course, I hit a majority of my shots that carried my "normal" distance, but knowing that I could make a swing that gave me 5-10 extra carry yards was huge. It shows me that the swing changes I'm trying to make will result in more distance, and hopefully mean more GIR as well.

I was also excited because our short game area is FINALLY in good shape after the harsh winter. I spent about an hour out there, my chipping and putting was surprisingly good for not practicing it much recently. I'm excited to play 18 holes tomorrow and see whether I can take my range game to the course.

That's interesting Ary. With more weight on the left leg do your hands stay in the same place or move slightly forward as well? If the latter, then you're just de-lofting the club at address, no?

That's interesting Ary. With more weight on the left leg do your hands stay in the same place or move slightly forward as well? If the latter, then you're just de-lofting the club at address, no?

My instructor has been working on the same thing that has been discussed above and I do start with my hands pressed forward some but I think the sensation of the delofting is actually lost some in the swing because very rarely do we maintain that forward shaft lean throughout.

Nate and Ary have you guys notice the stopping power too? I'm doing things with a golfball on the green that I've not seen in years...lol

On the shorter shots it's running out a bit more on me than the longer shots. If I stay back on it and move the hands more in line with the ball it will produce a bit more spin.

Haven't logged too much over here since it is often the same thing, but it does not mean there is not a ton of work going on! Orange whip and full swing work on the home net--this is everyday I'm at home with one day off a week. Using the club Range and short game area 3 times a week minimum. And playing 3-4 times depending on the week.

Hitting pitching wedges again on my backyard range. Trying to work on weight transfer and keeping my head still (not easy).

Trying to grow some new grass as I have made a gigantic divot with all my practice.

Pretty cool isn't it! I've been doing this more on my wedges, anything from the 30-100 yard shots and I'm finding the exact same thing. My ball flight is more penetrating and the ball seems to be going further. On a full 60 degree wedge with weight even I'm good for about 80-85 yards. But I was hitting the 60 degree with 3/4 swings, weight about 60/40 front and was getting to that 80 yard mark. Keep it up!

Check this article out, says that PGA Tour pros set up 56-44 in terms of weight on front leg vs right leg, I'm intrigued by this: http://www.golfwrx.com/202921/the-difference-between-professionals-and-amateurs-is-in-the-ground/

Hands don't go forward any more than I normally have them, which is a little ahead of the ball on all iron shots. I'm not actively pushing them forward at all though.

Kevin, I've played so little up here this year that I couldn't give you a good answer to that. But in the limited time I had last fall, I didn't notice some pretty good spin with a really high ballflight. I'd say that's because my ballspeed is a little higher, and I would think that ballspeed wouldn't be an issue with you.

Worked with the weighted club and impact bag for 30 minutes and then hit some balls. Finished up with half wedge swings since I wasn't very happy there yesterday. Really trying to feel no attempt at hinging and turning through fully extended. Happy with what I saw so I quit there.

I've had a pretty solid tempo "aha" moment the last couple days, nothing really drastic has been done, but reps have gotten me more and more comfortable over the golf ball. Still quick here and there, but its better and still improving, the tee game is coming around nicely, I've found some distance that I haven't seen in a couple of years.

Played nine today, was tough on the blisters, but I really just worked tee game with the driver and fairway for testing and then placed balls at different numbers to work the irons a little more and specifically the 100 and in spots where the tempo has made the world of difference. Wish I could generate more spin from 50 and in, but I'm starting to believe its just not going to be in the cards for me, I get much too steep there.

I've had a pretty solid tempo "aha" moment the last couple days, nothing really drastic has been done, but reps have gotten me more and more comfortable over the golf ball. Still quick here and there, but its better and still improving, the tee game is coming around nicely, I've found some distance that I haven't seen in a couple of years.

Played nine today, was tough on the blisters, but I really just worked tee game with the driver and fairway for testing and then placed balls at different numbers to work the irons a little more and specifically the 100 and in spots where the tempo has made the world of difference. Wish I could generate more spin from 50 and in, but I'm starting to believe its just not going to be in the cards for me, I get much too steep there.

its funny how much Tempo has helped my game lately on the green, short, long and tee. Even mishits with decent Tempo are better. My last few rounds I see more hole high left or right than just short as the miss.

Are you trying to hit the "low spinner" from 50 yards and in, or another shot? I've been trying to work on coming in shallow and using the bounce on the club a little more with that shot, but it's a work in progress.

its funny how much Tempo has helped my game lately on the green, short, long and tee. Even mishits with decent Tempo are better. My last few rounds I see more hole high left or right than just short as the miss.

I can't begin to emphasize how much tempo plays a role in my game too, it's the single most important ingredient in my swing and effects so many other things when it's off.

Anyone working on their game today? Originally i was going to spend a few hours on the range, but I think I am going to play to see if I can continue the solid play I experienced last weekend and continue building confidence with my new hip rotation in the iron swing.

Anyone working on their game today? Originally i was going to spend a few hours on the range, but I think I am going to play to see if I can continue the solid play I experienced last weekend and continue building confidence with my new hip rotation in the iron swing.

Scoring Clinic and Demo Day for me. Depending on how long that takes, I may play a quick nine holes or just practice some more. I've got all afternoon to myself, which is a rarity that needs to be taken advantage of.

Scoring Clinic and Demo Day for me. Depending on how long that takes, I may play a quick nine holes or just practice some more. I've got all afternoon to myself, which is a rarity that needs to be taken advantage of.

Sounds like the perfect afternoon for golf Hawk!!! Hopefully you see some great weather as well.

sim round count?

Hit the range last night to try out the J40 driver and then work on short game. First off, I'm enjoying the heck out of the driver after 1 range session, good distance and very accurate. After the driver comparison, I hit the sand with my J40 54* and my tour trusty 60* to see if I was able to get the loft out of the bunker I want/need with the 54*. Long story short, I wasn't, and I think a 58* will be in my bag for the MC. Also learned some things about my sand play and was much more consistent by the end of that part of my practice. Finally, hit the putting green. The new grip I've been using continues to feel good and give good results. I'm not dropping many long ones but that's a symptom if reading greens like Helen Keller instead of my grip. Much more consistent distance wise and I'm hitting my lines, just have to start picking my lines more effectively. Overall, confidence is building and league tonight should be fun.

I had an absolute god awful range session last night. I went and I shouldn't have. By the time I got to the range I had been up like 27 hours straight at that point from working a double. I had very few decent swings and felt all over the place. Ended up hitting 75% of the balls with just working on punch shots and pitching with the wedges. Pretty frustrating, but considering how tired I was I shouldn't have expected much.

I may head to the range for the a bit tonight and work on chipping from tight lies. I am a mess right now. Anyone have any tips? Freddie's tip out of the sand about ball position and weight forward has made a HUUUGE difference to me. Since that tip I have gotten up and on to the green every single time in 1 shot which is a huge change for me.

No practice for me tonight, errands to run for the Doc and I'm gonna take a couple days to let my hands heal.

Well, I will putt on the Tour Links, but thats an every night thing.

I may head to the range for the a bit tonight and work on chipping from tight lies. I am a mess right now. Anyone have any tips? Freddie's tip out of the sand about ball position and weight forward has made a HUUUGE difference to me. Since that tip I have gotten up and on to the green every single time in 1 shot which is a huge change for me.

What club are you using?

Use an 8 or 9i with a putting-like stroke from tight lies. They don't have that leading edge that digs into the turf and can't hit them fat.

I'm hoping to hit the range tonight but it's about 11 hours away. Feels like an eternity right now lol.

I had the first of my short game clinics last night. I am going to get in 18 this afternoon. With rain coming for the end of the week looks like today is the day

What club are you using?

Been toying with a few. PW, AW, and 56 degree wedge. Best luck so far has been with the 56 degree which I thought was kind of odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back