Things That Irritate You On the Course?

This I can't agree with, cigars are part of golf and non smokers have all but pushed smokers outside. You can always leave but why dictate their time on the course.

Really? I must be watching a different PGA than you do. I have seen them chew, but, aside from the Spaniard, I don't see a bunch of guys with cigars hanging from their mouths.... or leaving them on the tee box, next to the sand trap or in the middle of the green. When you play tournament and someone selects players in foursomes, you can be stuck with a smoker in your cart and you can't escape the stench.

Really? I must be watching a different PGA than you do. I have seen them chew, but, aside from the Spaniard, I don't see a bunch of guys with cigars hanging from their mouths.... or leaving them on the tee box, next to the sand trap or in the middle of the green. When you play tournament and someone selects players in foursomes, you can be stuck with a smoker in your cart and you can't escape the stench.

Colsaerts smokes cigarettes. Same with Spencer Levin.

I don't think smokers are bad. I just don't want it in my face.

I don't think he said anything about the PGA

I have no problems with smokers who clean up after themselves. My good friend Castor Hades carries a portable ashtray because he hates butts on the course.

There is usually a courteous way to do something. This is no exception.

I've no problem if a person wants to smoke. I just don't want them doing it in a shared golf cart with me, or where it blows in my face. And they definitely need to field strip their cigarettes and find somewhere other than the golf course to leave their cigar stubs, or whatever they are called. A golf course has a lot of space for smokers to puff without it being on the tee box or in my golf cart. I know.... it's an argument that will go on forever.... sigh.

I've no problem if a person wants to smoke. I just don't want them doing it in a shared golf cart with me, or where it blows in my face. And they definitely need to field strip their cigarettes and find somewhere other than the golf course to leave their cigar stubs, or whatever they are called. A golf course has a lot of space for smokers to puff without it being on the tee box or in my golf cart. I know.... it's an argument that will go on forever.... sigh.

It's their golf cart too. That being said, everytime I've played with a smoker, they have asked if I minded if they smoked in the cart.

Things That Irritate You On the Course?

Guessing you don't watch the champions tour since you brought the pros into the conversation. I was speaking of recreational golfers that enjoy cigars on the course or even smoking.
You own your golf cart? I asked because you called it, 'my' in another post. My original comment was based on your attitude that only your rights should be taken into account. Like there should be an area outdoors for smokers.

I too hate playing with smokers, I don't care that golf is an outdoor activity. If I wanted to poison my lungs and not enjoy the taste of fresh air I'd go and suck on my car's exhaust pipe. I've yet to meet a considerate smoker.

Ever thought about walking & ditching the cart? I mean walking is great exercise & you would be away from the smoke. Just a thought.

If you're going to smoke, I was always taught that the polite thing to do is ask the group if they mind.

I don't think that's so hard.

Smoking shall not be done without asking people. This is a rule when people are sharing a space. Every time.

Someone lighting up without asking in a golf cart is by far the worst thing I have seen for etiquette.

TTing

I can't imagine someone asking me if it's ok to smoke on the golf course, lol. WTF, go for it man. I'm not going to ask when I stick a dip in, or drink a beer. Sure, a little smoke might drift my way, big deal. I think people just want to get their panties in a wad so they have something to get excited about.

There's only three types of people I won't smoke around....children, pregnant women and my mother. Other than that, I have the right to smoke outside just as much as you have the right to not let me smoke inside.

I can't imagine someone asking me if it's ok to smoke on the golf course, lol. WTF, go for it man. I'm not going to ask when I stick a dip in, or drink a beer. Sure, a little smoke might drift my way, big deal. I think people just want to get their panties in a wad so they have something to get excited about.

Amen brother, my god what has this world become. I could see it if they were women and had pretty little dresses on. What happened to real men. Damn man, there are real problems in the world. A couple of guys smoking on the golf course is yours? Wow unbelievable! Upside down world I tell you.

swing your swing

There's only three types of people I won't smoke around....children, pregnant women and my mother. Other than that, I have the right to smoke outside just as much as you have the right to not let me smoke inside.

Amen brother, my god what has this world become. I could see it if they were women and had pretty little dresses on. What happened to real men. Damn man, there are real problems in the world. A couple of guys smoking on the golf course is yours? Wow unbelievable! Upside down world I tell you.

swing your swing

I don't disagree with any of this. But I am sure to at least ask. The small gesture of courtesy can go a long way.

Of course ill just ask if they mind it, but if they do I just won't smoke in the cart. As for out on the course, that's my time. I paid my greens fees just like everyone else. And until I'm doing something illegal, ill have a hard time listening to someone tell me I can't smoke outside

I don't usually smoke a cigar. But if I do smoke, I stand down wind and on a tee box back. Unless everybody else is smoking. Then it's freight train time.

I've played with dozens of guys who smoke like chimneys and It doesn't bother me at all. Even if I catch the odd waft in the face is it really worth getting upset about? The guys are just out there trying to have fun just like me.

Of course ill just ask if they mind it, but if they do I just won't smoke in the cart. As for out on the course, that's my time. I paid my greens fees just like everyone else. And until I'm doing something illegal, ill have a hard time listening to someone tell me I can't smoke outside

And I know I am fine with this. As long as it isn't blowing in my face (and that's only if you are right next to me), smoke away! But somebody is dropping their butts everywhere but where they belong. Everyone says they don't do it, but someone is obviously littering the course with cigar and cigarette butts. That's what I have more of an issue with than the smoke!

And I know I am fine with this. As long as it isn't blowing in my face (and that's only if you are right next to me), smoke away! But somebody is dropping their butts everywhere but where they belong. Everyone says they don't do it, but someone is obviously littering the course with cigar and cigarette butts. That's what I have more of an issue with than the smoke!

Ya that drives me nuts as a smoker

So we are all in agreement that smoking is fine as long as you ask and respect the cart. Very good, happy days.

the only thing with smokers is that they stink like hell. If i was ina group that all regularly **** their pants, i'd feel ok to do it also, but I wouldnt **** my pants and rub it in everyones face saying things like its my right to do as i like and you better live with it because I know it stinks and can anoy some people.

I do not have issues with smokers per say, but some smoker's attitude can be irritating.

you can smoke all you want, dont blow it in anyones face (watch the wind)
do not throw anything on the ground

and if I decide i pay the extra to ride a cart one day for some reason, you can be sure I will not ride with a smoker, just as i would not ride with a pant sh***er, i'd rather pay doblu the fare and ride ym own cart

That's an interesting take Due, but when you consider a dip or alcohol vs smoke, the first two don't impact the person in the cart, whereas the smoke from cigarettes can definitely get in the face of your cart mate.

That in mind, everyone I've carted with (at least this year) who smokes asks me if I mind. I think it's admirable, and I always say "of course not, have at it." It's common courtesy and I am glad people still have the decency to at least ask.

Ever thought about walking & ditching the cart? I mean walking is great exercise & you would be away from the smoke. Just a thought.

I walk 98% of the time. That doesn't stop smokers lighting up on the tee box and the green. Our club tournament play pretty much requires a cart. Unlike moist courses, we don't have an each player pays cart policy, so when I provide the cart I do expect the courtesy of not smoking. Clearly this will always be a no win verbal argument between smokers and non-smokers, although smoking is losing ground as health, monetary cost and laws continue to dwindle the numbers.

No need to ask to smoke on the course, you should be able to do it in spots where it doesn't bother people, or I can move a little if I need to. But if you're riding with me and don't ask if you can smoke in the cart and do, then you're just an a$$. I won't ride with someone who smokes in the cart. In general I have no problem with it, as long as you're respectful about it. And agree it's really annoying seeing cigarette/cigar butts on the course.

That's an interesting take Due, but when you consider a dip or alcohol vs smoke, the first two don't impact the person in the cart, whereas the smoke from cigarettes can definitely get in the face of your cart mate.

That in mind, everyone I've carted with (at least this year) who smokes asks me if I mind. I think it's admirable, and I always say "of course not, have at it." It's common courtesy and I am glad people still have the decency to at least ask.

Actually, there are those out there, a few on this site, who don't like drinking on the course or us dipsters. I can see someone felling compelled to ask about smoking if sharing a cart, but no need to ask me. I smoked for a lot of years and quit, but still not a bother as far as I'm concerned.

Back