THP Jury - The Wedge Debate

Votes: 2 1.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 37 27.4%

Votes: 90 66.7%

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
I say 4. Mine are 45* and 50* (from the set) with 54* and 58* to finish....I'm thinking of going to 56* and 60* though.

My PW is 45°, so my wedges are 50°, 55°, 60°. Distances (though I made a swing change last fall and have yet to get particularly accurate readings) with a smooth swing (can get +- 10 yards with any of them) are 130/120/105/85. Pretty good gaps to me, though as I said above, I'd love a 64° to get an ~70 club.

I use my 44* PW, then I've got 50*, 54* and 58*. Offers a range of different shots and I really like it!

I play four wedges: PW, 50, 54, & 58 which work very well for me. On the other end I carry a driver and two hybrids so I have plenty of room for the scoring clubs on the bottom end.

I carry 4 wedges. I disagree with pops. Good players can get by with fewer wedges because they can better use the versitility of them. That being said. I got rid of my 60 degree. There isn't a shot with that I need a 60 for that I can't do with a 56 opened up.

Are you ever going to actually buy wedges?

We may need a poll to determine when the best time is to buy them. Buy them now, wait until July, wait until his shop has them on end of season discount, maybe Christmas online sale? Hmmm.

I have 4 wedges, but that doesnt mean its optimal, it works for me, everyone is different

We may need a poll to determine when the best time is to buy them. Buy them now, wait until July, wait until his shop has them on end of season discount, maybe Christmas online sale? Hmmm.

Just because he has talked about new wedges for a bit now and hasn't bought them yet doesn't mean he needs to catch hell for it. Icemann's situation is different than ours and he has to have his ducks in a row before he can get his wedges.

Just because he has talked about new wedges for a bit now and hasn't bought them yet doesn't mean he needs to catch hell for it. Icemann's situation is different than ours and he has to have his ducks in a row before he can get his wedges.

Yeah I agree. There's no reason to start anything over that.

Blind9 has them on back order till mid summer. I thought about going a different route so I could get them now but I decided to wait till then.

I'm a bit late to the thread, but here it goes.

I played PW, GW/AW, 54, 58 or some variation of that (56,60, etc) for the last 2 seasons. My short game has always been weak. Not bad, but not strong at all. Getting up and down for par was an amazing feat. Granted, my putting wasnt too strong either.

This season I made the switch to PW at 46*, 52*, and 58* - it's night and day. My scrambling percentage that was once usually 0% is approaching 35%. I do much better with feel shots and not having a specific club for each shot.

130-80 yards is my PW. 80-40 is my 52*. Anything within 40 requires thought, as it may be a chip or something. Around the green is usually my 58*, sand included.

PW - 51- 55- 59 is optimal for me!

I would say that 3 is optimal. PW - some form of gap wedge, and then a sand wedge. Whether it's 46-52-58 or 45-50-55. I don't think you need a lob wedge. With practice you can probably pull off the same shot with your SW.

I would say that 3 is optimal. PW - some form of gap wedge, and then a sand wedge. Whether it's 46-52-58 or 45-50-55. I don't think you need a lob wedge. With practice you can probably pull off the same shot with your SW.

Having the proper grind can really improve versatility!

I just think starting 4 separate threads related to wedges and wedge setup is a bit much.

But, at the end of the day, its just my opinion, right?

I just think starting 4 separate threads related to wedges and wedge setup is a bit much.

But, at the end of the day, its just my opinion, right?

haha in all fairness, two of them were merged :p.

I carry 4. PW (44˚), 48˚, 52˚ and 56˚. The PW is pretty much a full swing only club. A little less so for the 48˚. The 52 and 56 are used for different shots from ~100 and in. Dropped the 60˚ this year and have been happy with that decision.

I think "optimal" change for each player and each course condition, but for me, 4 is ideal. 46/50/54/58, I get perfect 4 degree gaps and this setup has seemed to work for me. I've had other setups, and may change a bit in the future, but for now this is good for me. The one gripe I have with this setup, is from 100 yards and in I almost have too many options!!!

I'd go with the Nikes. :)

Honestly do what you want man! Seriously, its hard to talk sometimes with parents about golf equipment but you'll know what you can and cant use. I personally think 3 wedges are about all anyone needs (PW, GW and 56*).

I've played with PW-54 two wedges
I've played with PW-gw-56 three wedges
I've played with PW-GW-53-60 4 wedges

bottom line is that it doesn't really matter that much, as long as you know the clubs in your bag and can hit different shots with them you're good to go

for every time that extra club may help you, it may also encourage you to try a stupid flop shot that you leave short in a bunker!

more clubs mean less practice with each one as well, and that makes a difference as well

a kid on my golf team has a 9 iron as his highest lofted club ahaha

I used to carry 4 wedges. I guess I was doing it wrong. Good thing I only carry 3 now.

Different strokes for different folks, but I carry 4 and use the hell out of my 60*. After watching umpteen "Playing Lessons with the Pros" where so many of them used a 60* for nearly every shot (Or Annika who estimates she uses the 60* for all but a few) I got on board.

To me the biggest difference is the ease and consistency of using a 60* versus opening up a 56*. I'm all about picking my shots based on margin of error these days and the 60* is much easier to hit a high shot with than an opened up SW for me, by far.

With the i20 testing and prior to that with the SCOR's I'm a PW (45*), 49*, 53*, 57* guy and I freaking love it. No need for anything higher than a 57 as I can flop the heck out of it when needed just like my old 60*'s but with more consistency in every shot. I love the 4* gaps and it really has helped be dial in my short game. I won't be changing anytime soon.

a kid on my golf team has a 9 iron as his highest lofted club ahaha
My grandfather rarely uses anything over an 8iron. He is 92 and still shoots better than his age.

Back