THP Jury - The Wedge Debate

Votes: 2 1.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 37 27.4%

Votes: 90 66.7%

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
I am pretty good at hitting 1/2 and 3/4 shots, a couple of years ago I teed off with nothing smaller than a PW after leaving my other 3 wedges at home for some reason. I played pretty well that way, it cost me probably a few shots at most where I really needed something shorter to hit maybe a better shot than I could hit with that PW but I managed without them. On a good day with the putter I might not see any difference at all between having those wedges and not having them.

My grandfather rarely uses anything over an 8iron. He is 92 and still shoots better than his age.

That's incredible, I wonder if it's that old school mentality of simpler is better, you don't have to worry about thinking as much and just do what comes naturally.

That's incredible, I wonder if it's that old school mentality of simpler is better, you don't have to worry about thinking as much and just do what comes naturally.
He has always used an 8iron around the green, and is good with it too. Not so much as simpler is better, it has more to do with the fact that full sets of wedges over the PW with the set are more common now than they were 10 or so years ago.

I think you learn to adapt with wedges. I carried 50/58 last year and liked it quite a bit. Now I have 49,53,57 and like that as well.

He has always used an 8iron around the green, and is good with it too. Not so much as simpler is better, it has more to do with the fact that full sets of wedges over the PW with the set are more common now than they were 10 or so years ago.

Makes sense, I couldn't think about trying to lob an 8 iron, that takes skill for sure.

I carry 4 including the PW with my set (46*)...a 50, 54 and 58*. for me, i like the ability to use any of my 4 wedges for any shot. i have a shot that requires getting it on the green faster for rollout? hit the pw...need to carry a bit of fairway to get to a close front pin? hit the 58...need something to hit it 100 yards but flight it down more? hit the 50 instead of the 54...

i've been using 4 wedges for about 8 years or so and wouldn't turn back.

My set has a 47 pw... So now I'm using a 52 gw and a 58 sw.... Works great for me an I can cover any basic shot and short distance with these.

You've just been tapatalked by Ford!

this thread is making me want to order my Bridgestone wedges

this thread is making me want to order my Bridgestone wedges

Just buy them so you can get used to them like I did. (well minus the purchasing part) :D

Just buy them so you can get used to them like I did. (well minus the purchasing part) :D

I'd love to go buy them right this second and I would if I could. But they're on backorder till mid summer.

I'd love to go buy them right this second and I would if I could. But they're on backorder till mid summer.

Talk the old man into bringing you down to the THP outing & Demo Day and you can test all the wedges until your fingers bleed. It'd be a good opportunity to have ya meet most of us so you can give us all a hard time like we give you. :alien2:

Talk the old man into bringing you down to the THP outing & Demo Day and you can test all the wedges until your fingers bleed. It'd be a good opportunity to have ya meet most of us so you can give us all a hard time like we give you. :alien2:

If only if only...

Get all four wedges at the same time it's your money. I can understand where your coming from. My father and I like to play the first and last round of the year together so when we played he was complaining that he needed a new 48* wedge because he was getting no distance from it and his U wedge from ping was going as far. I told him that his PW was 45* and his U wedge was 50* and probably didnt need a 48*. His response was my PW is 46* and my U wedge is 56* and no his clubs are not bent. Even after I emailed him the spec's to his clubs he still is convinced of his thoughts. No matter how old ya get some parents just don't listen.

Back