Toooo demanding clubs ....

As someone who needs a lot of work on ball striking, I can only say the set of irons I have (which I'm pretty sure are GI irons) certainly still reward good shots over bad. They just seem to make the bad less of a train wreck in SOME cases. It's not like they make every shot playable, because if they did they probably wouldn't be legal. Will this make me lazy and NOT learn how to properly strike the ball? I don't think so.

If this forum has taught me anything it was to put my ego aside. Golf is hard enough so I'm going to use what the technology to help me while finding something that is confidence inspiring (still saving up for those Altitudes!) Even tour pros need help, Paddy used a Ci7 4 iron during his awesome year in 2008.

Your D3 is a great driver and will maybe allow you to work the ball, but if your concern is finding the fairway more often, it might help to try a driver that helps you finding the more often.....

Yah I am looking into that. Spent some good range time with it the other night. Seems to crush it on the range just need to take that to the course. If it doesnt improve then it might be on the chopping block. Not really sure what else I would try though. R1, Covert, RFE?

If this forum has taught me anything it was to put my ego aside. Golf is hard enough so I'm going to use what the technology to help me while finding something that is confidence inspiring (still saving up for those Altitudes!) Even tour pros need help, Paddy used a Ci7 4 iron during his awesome year in 2008.

I played the CI7 also and a the moment the CI9, maybe the CI7 was more a GI iron than the CI9 is...... The CI9 has a cavity and the looks of a GI iron and slightly larger faces, but relatively narrow soles, less offset than the typical GI and plays closer to a players cavity iron than to a GI iron and allthough the lofts are on the strong side, they are not playing overly longggg.

I have used MP 57, MP 67 and MP 68 during the last few years and sure I have hit great shots with them, when I used to practice a lot and played from index 5.2 a few years ago and I really liked the intended draw or fade I could play with these so easely, but today I practice maybe only one or two times per month, and very much prefer the little extra help I can get from the CI9.....

I still practice sometimes with my old set of Wilson Staff Fluid Feel Tour Blades, to keep my iron play focussed. So I must agree on the so often heard comment, that blades force you to work on your iron work, but at the course ..... I don't like to loose 15-20 yds on a only slightly poor contact. At the course I am not becoming a better golfer using pure blades or muscle blades.

I love the "shovel" reference. Rarely see than one here at THP. That is normally reserved for another golf forum......

Our current club champion (3 years in a row) won using Ping G10 irons. I'd take the 68 & 70 he shot last year with those shovels.....

JB is right though in this debate.

Apparently the shovel reference is an insult that I was unaware of. So I apologize for that, it wasn't my intention to insult or offend anybody.

Also, I never even came close to saying anything about what scores people can shoot with any type of iron. My mentioning that I played blades was by no means bragging or thinking I'm a more serious golfer than anybody, it was simply to describe how it is awkward for me to hit balls with the larger sized iron heads because I'm so used to the smaller head with irons.

Ego is such a huge factor in this game. Having said that, I think people should play what they want to and what works best for them.

I play a 430cc driver and players irons because I want to. For no other reason than that. And I'm ok with that.

this guy knows what's going on. Play what's most comfortable for you, and disregard others opinions. I hate to say this, but here goes... Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter. Putting aside your ego to play a SGI club like the altitudes, even if your playing partners give you crap for it, is a great choice if that fits your eye and your game. We see it on tour a lot in the long irons (Cleveland staffers in particular) and even TIGER WOODS had a VRS forged 2 iron in his bag last year. Its all about what works. I chose my irons because they fit my eye the best, and I hit them great at the fitting as well. Its all personal preference.

Back