Top 10 Coaching Jobs in Football

Top 10 Coaching Jobs in Football

• Absolutely.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • You gotta be kidding me.

Votes: 22 84.6%

• Total voters
bob morton, john carlson, darius walker, those are just some of the guys i can name off the top of my head. Ty had a lot of good players, but i just dont think he was a good coach. He was a great guy however though.

Who? and forgot about Carlson, but with the slew of tight ends ND has had recently, he is probably 3rd IMO. And Walker was great for about a year, and didn't really do much else. And like I said, just because he wasn't a good recruiter doesn't mean that he didn't have the occasional good or great recruit. He just didn't pull off anything like Weis or even Kelly is doing

Who? and forgot about Carlson, but with the slew of tight ends ND has had recently, he is probably 3rd IMO. And Walker was great for about a year, and didn't really do much else. And like I said, just because he wasn't a good recruiter doesn't mean that he didn't have the occasional good or great recruit. He just didn't pull off anything like Weis or even Kelly is doing
Im confused why you think he wasnt a good recruiter he didnt have the time charlie weis did and its impossible to fill your entire team with record breakers. He only had 3 years and had some great players.

Darius walker holds the record for most rushing yard as a freshman, and ranks fourth for most rushing yards by any player at notre dame. He was an outstanding running back.

My only thought on the Steelers not being on the list is that, from a coaching perspective, you'll never be handed the keys to the team. A proven structure is in place. The ownership does their thing. The GM has the most say in personnel decisions. The coach can simply coach. Still though..it has to be considered one of the top jobs.

Im confused why you think he wasnt a good recruiter he didnt have the time charlie weis did and its impossible to fill your entire team with record breakers. He only had 3 years and had some great players.

Darius walker holds the record for most rushing yard as a freshman, and ranks fourth for most rushing yards by any player at notre dame. He was an outstanding running back.

Compare Kelly's 3 year to Willingham's 3. Kelly's recruits blow them out of the water. I guess I shouldn't say he wasn't a good recruiter, he just wasn't a GREAT recruiter. Not up to ND standards. Yea, some of his recruits developed and turned out good, but he didn't get that one signature recruit. and Darius WAS good, his freshman year was great, and he backed it up then, but he never really got any better than that.

I think JJ would scare me away kind of. But...not being a Cowboys fan and completely neutral here..I would think being the coash of the Dallas Cowboys would be highly sought after. I actually thought they would be on the list.
Jerry Jones is the reason they aren't on the list.

The UT football program generates so much money it's scary! Everything a coach could ever dream of is there and if you need something else all you have to do is ask, they are in the top 5 recruiting schools every single year and they send a ton of players to the NFL.

Plus the facility is better than some NFL teams and living in Austin isn't too bad either.

I wouldn't coach Texas if they gave me all the money in the world. Not with that booster base I've heard about. Yeah, yeah they bring in the dough, but I couldn't stand playing for those boosters. They shouldn't be in the Top 10.

I wouldn't coach Texas if they gave me all the money in the world. Not with that booster base I've heard about. Yeah, yeah they bring in the dough, but I couldn't stand playing for those boosters. They shouldn't be in the Top 10.

Serious questions: What's wrong with the boosters? Are they too demanding or something? Or too hippy-ish?

Serious questions: What's wrong with the boosters? Are they too demanding or something? Or too hippy-ish?

He doesn't like the idea of lots of money?

He doesn't like the idea of lots of money?

Maybe because the Marines hate UT.

SCARY-MARINE.gif

I've just heard stories about Texas boosters and recruiting. It sickens me. Eric Dickerson comes to mind.

It seems like everyone think their favorite team's coaching job is the best, even if its not a first-rate program.

I've just heard stories about Texas boosters and recruiting. It sickens me. Eric Dickerson comes to mind.

Ah yes, the Sec is pure as the driven snow. How about providing an example of Texas shady recruiting that has happened in the last 20 years.

Ah yes, the Sec is pure as the driven snow. How about providing an example of Texas shady recruiting that has happened in the last 20 years.

This was the video that was sent to me. They wanted me to be a long snapper, but I couldn't handle these shady tactics. Hilarious video even though it is by a couple of Aggies.

But seriously, all of the top recruiters push the envelope. People who accuse others of recruiting "unfairly" have got to realize that it happens everywhere.

Wait, while I will not say the SEC is clean (no way), are you saying that you believe Texas has been clean for 20 years? Man I dont think anybody could say any large program has been clean that long.

Last edited:
Wait, while I will not say the SEC is clean (no way), are you saying that you believe Texas has been clean for 20 years? Man I dont think anybody could say any large program has been clean that long.
Agreed, I don't think any top tier program could say they are squeaky clean!! They think they are though.

I never said Texas was totally clean but dredging up something that happened over 20 years ago is bs. As far as I know Texas hasn't had any problems with the Ncaa at least since Mack has been there.

I never said Texas was totally clean but dredging up something that happened over 20 years ago is bs. As far as I know Texas hasn't had any problems with the Ncaa at least since Mack has been there.

That just means a team is good at hiding it. How many SEC programs that you brought up have had major violations or issues with the NCAA? A few had without a doubt, and a couple of players did some things on their own, but to think that some big schools are worse than others in todays day and age is a pipe dream. FSU has not been in trouble lately, but I would be dreaming to think they are completely clean.

Boosters have too much money, too much power and far too many ways to get to athletes.

That just means a team is good at hiding it. How many SEC programs that you brought up have had major violations or issues with the NCAA? A few had without a doubt, and a couple of players did some things on their own, but to think that some big schools are worse than others in todays day and age is a pipe dream. FSU has not been in trouble lately, but I would be dreaming to think they are completely clean.

Boosters have too much money, too much power and far too many ways to get to athletes.

I agree about boosters and I have no clue how you can control that aspect of cheating. There are enough people here in Texas that hate UT that if something big was going on the Ncaa would hear about it.

This thread was about top coaching jobs and Texas is one of them regardless what Eric Dickerson said years ago. He was a cheater and along with Craig James is responsible for SMU getting the death penalty from which they still haven't recovered.

I agree about boosters and I have no clue how you can control that aspect of cheating. There are enough people here in Texas that hate UT that if something big was going on the Ncaa would hear about it.

Every state has detractors. its not worth arguing about it, if you feel as though Texas is cleaner than others, its cool. Im sure fans think their athletes work hard in school and all chose their (fill in team name here) because of the history rather than anything inappropriate. It is what it is.

A funny thing happens where youre a fan of a team: rational thought and objectivity go out the window.

Some of the picks I agree with but not all. And a few I don't understand. Why wasn't Hawaii thrown in for the weather? Or Tennessee, Jeff Fischer was left alone for 10 years with a better than average record.

Back