Tour Edge Exotics Wingman 700 Series Putters

I’m hoping to get a few more rounds in this year. But this putter has been a very pleasant surprise. I normally don’t like mallets, but the overall size of this suits me just fine. The lock on technology has been great, it has instilled a lot of confidence. The last 3 rounds played we’re on aerated greens so it was like playing “plinko”, the one positive was the ball stayed on its line, it just “hopped” a little too much near the hole. I think this one will be staying in the bag for the foreseeable future.

Played 9 today. Had 17 putts, no 3 putts and one 8 foot birdie putt. The putter performed as expected for the first round outside I've had in what feels like forever. I was more impressed that I was hitting the putts on target and getting to within gimme range on most. Only twice did I leave more than 2-3 feet for my second putt. Sadly I missed all but 2 greens in regulation, so I was relying heavily on my wedges to get me close to try to save par (which I failed at there). My first putt was in the 20 foot range almost all day from my wedges, less than ideal.

The Strokes Gained image below doesn't show how I felt I putted with the 706 yesterday. I thought speed was generally good outside of a few holes as I was getting used to the greens. What I had an issue with was actually seeing the break and would miss left or right (and badly a few times). I had one putt for birdie less than 10 feet on a par 5 and the hole had a hill to the right, so in my mind, it had to go left...well that ball went straight up that hill (broke right???). Thankfully I made the 3-4 foot par putt, but that was the case all day on the greens for me. My short game while a little shakey, did show up a few times which left me one putts of a few feet to save par (or bogey 😟)

Screenshot_20221126_161807_Shot Scope.jpg

This tells the story of my putting woes on reading the break... missing too many inside of 10 feet. Look at the horrible SG from <10 feet. The 10-30 foot putts I just felt the distance and generally left it close enough for a tap in. Most of the 0-10 foot misses were probably in the 7-10 foot range and I played more break than was there or just flat out misread it

Screenshot_20221127_085335_Shot Scope.jpg

Played for the first time in a little bit and the putter was shaky today. Felt like I was struggling to find the center of the face and the heel side misses felt particularly not forgiving on the 706.

I put my old putter in the bag today as I was just wanting to roll it. It lasted nine holes and I put the Wingman back in the bag.

While watching football last night I was carpet putting and I got to thinking, other than the name Wingman and probably having a difficult time explaining away a putter without "wings" in this line, why hasn't Tour Edge released a blade putter with this the past couple years? There are thousands of golfers who will "only play a blade" so they're not even considering this putter.

That said I am or at least was one of those in that camp. I had never gotten along with a mallet putter and the 706 is such a small "mid" mallet that it was not a challenge to move into that to finish the season.

While watching football last night I was carpet putting and I got to thinking, other than the name Wingman and probably having a difficult time explaining away a putter without "wings" in this line, why hasn't Tour Edge released a blade putter with this the past couple years? There are thousands of golfers who will "only play a blade" so they're not even considering this putter.

That said I am or at least was one of those in that camp. I had never gotten along with a mallet putter and the 706 is such a small "mid" mallet that it was not a challenge to move into that to finish the season.
My honest opinion is limiting skus in a sea of putters to something that makes you a bit unique like Wingman does

My honest opinion is limiting skus in a sea of putters to something that makes you a bit unique like Wingman does
I guess that makes sense...there are hundreds of putters available and why just throw a putter into the lineup just because.

If the putter isn't going to stand out in any way it might just get lost and with TE not being a household name in putters, I doubt they'd get someone walking in and grabbing that off the shelf, like someone would with Odyssey or someone else in the $200 price points

It's been a while since my last updated, but man, I really like the Lock-On alignment on the Wingman series. This with Seemore's RST are the best alignment aids I've used with a putter. Alignment has always been my biggest issue so being able to see with the alignment if I am set up correctly is a huge confidence boost.

It's been a while since my last updated, but man, I really like the Lock-On alignment on the Wingman series. This with Seemore's RST are the best alignment aids I've used with a putter. Alignment has always been my biggest issue so being able to see with the alignment if I am set up correctly is a huge confidence boost.

so what I am reading right now is that you are driving the ball well and putting with confidence. That's scary.

so what I am reading right now is that you are driving the ball well and putting with confidence. That's scary.

Driver started out really hot today and then became a liability. I think I have a weird swing path thing creeping in, but trying to get it straightened out.

It took me a little bit to get used to the Lock-On tech, but once I got it figured out, the putter has been strong.

2023 TEEm Tour Edge check in to the Wingman thread. Received my 703 to test today, much quicker than I expected it to show up based on previous deliveries but I'm definitely not complaining.

Will be taking this to the course tomorrow to go head to head with my gamer and potentially into the bag for my flighted mens club round.

First thoughts:
Headcover is premium, super cushioned and a nice snug fit with a good close on the magnetic. Busy on the words everywhere, they maxed out the real estate with something on every surface.

Head is so much more compact in hand than on the website, the lock on tech alignment stands out against the brushed satin finish and the black inserts.

Carbon sole plate is nice, came with 3gm heel & toe weights, I will be getting more weights as I think that will really dial this putter in.

Grip is ok, not a huge fan of the ridge down the back, initial feel is it will be a touch uncomfortable when i compare to the Garsen Max on my gamer.

Shaft is one I've never tried before, also will be interesting when comparing with gamer that has a rapid taper 105 graphite in it.

Stay tuned!

2023 TEEm Tour Edge check in to the Wingman thread. Received my 703 to test today, much quicker than I expected it to show up based on previous deliveries but I'm definitely not complaining.

Will be taking this to the course tomorrow to go head to head with my gamer and potentially into the bag for my flighted mens club round.

First thoughts:
Headcover is premium, super cushioned and a nice snug fit with a good close on the magnetic. Busy on the words everywhere, they maxed out the real estate with something on every surface.

Head is so much more compact in hand than on the website, the lock on tech alignment stands out against the brushed satin finish and the black inserts.

Carbon sole plate is nice, came with 3gm heel & toe weights, I will be getting more weights as I think that will really dial this putter in.

Grip is ok, not a huge fan of the ridge down the back, initial feel is it will be a touch uncomfortable when i compare to the Garsen Max on my gamer.

Shaft is one I've never tried before, also will be interesting when comparing with gamer that has a rapid taper 105 graphite in it.

Stay tuned!
I remember how I would get a hollow ting sound and feel if it wasn't in the middle of the face. I'm curious if they've somehow dealt with that

I remember how I would get a hollow ting sound and feel if it wasn't in the middle of the face. I'm curious if they've somehow dealt with that
Interesting feedback, especially as I thought this more of a soft insert face. Other putters I have that are cnc machined have that definite sound change when not hitting the middle.

Interesting feedback, especially as I thought this more of a soft insert face. Other putters I have that are cnc machined have that definite sound change when not hitting the middle.
I had the 701 which I know is a different shape. I loved the Lock-On alignment. I only noticed the tingy sound on longer putts when the stroke would get longer and more variable.

I had the 701 which I know is a different shape. I loved the Lock-On alignment. I only noticed the tingy sound on longer putts when the stroke would get longer and more variable.
710 to 703 I thought only difference was the extra wings on the 701. Same hosel. I'll be trying tomorrow morning before my round, tough to put it in the bag unless it's a lights out winner but I'm open to it going in for sure.

710 to 703 I thought only difference was the extra wings on the 701. Same hosel. I'll be trying tomorrow morning before my round, tough to put it in the bag unless it's a lights out winner but I'm open to it going in for sure.
I made sure to give it an honest go and get as big a sample size as possible. I'm happy I did. The MOI was awesome. The look at address was great.

My 701 was delivered yesterday while I was on my way out of town. I’m back home recovering from a day with the kids at Cedar Point and a 3.5 hour drive home. I opened the box on principle but the first impressions post will have to wait until tomorrow 🙂

My 701 was delivered yesterday while I was on my way out of town. I’m back home recovering from a day with the kids at Cedar Point and a 3.5 hour drive home. I opened the box on principle but the first impressions post will have to wait until tomorrow 🙂

Today I had my maiden voyage with the Wingman 701 putter. Thank you to Tour Edge and THP for allowing me to be a part of TEEm Tour Edge this year!

I rolled some putts indoors this morning followed by a trip to the practice green and 9 holes this afternoon. Here are my first impressions:

Looks and Size:
The 701 model is a slant neck, winged mallet model. It is considered the high MOI option in the lineup, but IMO is very similar in size to something like an Odyssey Ten, which in my mind makes it a pretty standard mallet size, and a size I really like. The outer envelope is pretty similar to my current gamer Cobra Supernova-20, so it’s pretty comfortable. I imagine the other models in the lineup are pretty small mallets if they are smaller than the 701/702.

559D38A2-59E8-4FC9-950D-E81EF23E3B12.jpeg

C25E0B41-56E0-4A16-A21C-D6D42A777037.jpeg
My first impression of the silver satin finish was that I thought it should be a little more polished, but getting it outside I saw that might create glare issues if it was the case (not that I tested this, it was a dreary day). The Lock-On tech has a matte black finish that looks nice.

The bottom has a carbon fiber plate that IMO looks really cool, and is surprisingly unique given how much carbon fiber is used on other clubs.

64E435A7-1AC2-4A7C-B254-6FE07552A6E8.jpeg

I don’t really know if I get the choice to change the color scheme from the typical Tour Edge colors, but otherwise the colors look good IMO.

Alignment and Lock-On Tech:
At address the front edge of the putter was easy to square to the ball. I’ve occasionally had mallets want to splay open at address but not here.

My first impressions of the Lock-On tech is that it’s the real deal. I would estimate I made an adjustment to my initial setup on 50-70% of the putts I set up to. I didn’t have any issues using a line on my ball. My process was: line up leading edge to ball/ball line > adjust lie to line up the 2 lines on the Lock-On section > look at the hole to internalize speed > look at ball line and hit the putt. 9 holes is a small sample, but I felt like I hit every line which isn’t always the case.

Here are some pictures I think capture what it looks like when the Lock-On is off vs on:

69B33C46-DFE5-4FDD-8622-38919357820E.jpeg

30B350AB-855D-4F08-AD0F-2B338DD3BAF0.jpeg

A040A15D-C831-4DC1-8405-7E04211775EE.jpeg

Feel:
The putter has an insert that I felt like I got along with. To me it seemed really similar up to the Tour B X ball I play. That might make it a little firm or clicky on the spectrum of inserts but it felt familiar to me. So far I haven’t experienced any of the harsh sounds that prior testers have. There is a slight change in sound and feel on toe and heel strikes, but not enough where it feels like I’m going to hit it a different speed than intended.

The head feels like it’s lighter than my current gamer (I don’t see the 701 head weight on TEE’s website; my gamer is 375 g), but overall the balance was good. Even though my speed control was good, I think I’ll want to add some headweight to make it a little more comfortable.

Shaft, Grip, Headcover:
The stock shaft is a KBS CT Tour 120, which IMO is the best steel putter shaft I’ve used. The grip is a Lamkin Sink Fit in the pistol model. I’ve played some of the other Sink Fit shapes and enjoyed them, but I don’t think I’m a huge fan of the sharp triangular shape. The custom colors look sharp though:

F28262F6-8D86-4B9C-883F-49D3013C4C58.jpeg

DC53CC6F-AA1A-409D-9CE0-3C9195D03728.jpeg

The headcover looks pretty nice andI’m pretty impressed they were able to get all the putter tech plus a premium stock shaft and grip, and a nice looking headcover, all for $199.

4388D19E-A437-4CA8-94A6-A35C25BAE19E.jpeg

4E4D7F41-6A83-4DC4-BE4F-5F3D13A0C103.jpeg

Performance:
9 holes is a small sample size, and I’ve had lots of clubs with honeymoon periods, but I putted really well with this putter today. Over the 9 holes I had 4 one putts and 5 two putts, and made putts of around 6, 12, and 15 feet. I didn’t have any really long lag putts, but the mid range ones were all hit inside of 3 feet. A couple of the mid range putts could have dropped with another foot or two of pace.

Overall, I’m pretty impressed with this putter especially for the price point. So far I’m a believer in the Lock-On alignment. I’m excited to keep testing and get even more comfortable with it.

Fantastic early write up. Will be following as that is my favorite model.

LOVE The looks of this Putter and I will say, I have toyed with these in the stores and love them, We did not go putter in TEEm tour edge 2021, but i wish we did, love the mallet like this one

Today I had my maiden voyage with the Wingman 701 putter. Thank you to Tour Edge and THP for allowing me to be a part of TEEm Tour Edge this year!

I rolled some putts indoors this morning followed by a trip to the practice green and 9 holes this afternoon. Here are my first impressions:

Looks and Size:
The 701 model is a slant neck, winged mallet model. It is considered the high MOI option in the lineup, but IMO is very similar in size to something like an Odyssey Ten, which in my mind makes it a pretty standard mallet size, and a size I really like. The outer envelope is pretty similar to my current gamer Cobra Supernova-20, so it’s pretty comfortable. I imagine the other models in the lineup are pretty small mallets if they are smaller than the 701/702.

View attachment 9197265

View attachment 9197266
My first impression of the silver satin finish was that I thought it should be a little more polished, but getting it outside I saw that might create glare issues if it was the case (not that I tested this, it was a dreary day). The Lock-On tech has a matte black finish that looks nice.

The bottom has a carbon fiber plate that IMO looks really cool, and is surprisingly unique given how much carbon fiber is used on other clubs.

View attachment 9197267

I don’t really know if I get the choice to change the color scheme from the typical Tour Edge colors, but otherwise the colors look good IMO.

Alignment and Lock-On Tech:
At address the front edge of the putter was easy to square to the ball. I’ve occasionally had mallets want to splay open at address but not here.

My first impressions of the Lock-On tech is that it’s the real deal. I would estimate I made an adjustment to my initial setup on 50-70% of the putts I set up to. I didn’t have any issues using a line on my ball. My process was: line up leading edge to ball/ball line > adjust lie to line up the 2 lines on the Lock-On section > look at the hole to internalize speed > look at ball line and hit the putt. 9 holes is a small sample, but I felt like I hit every line which isn’t always the case.

Here are some pictures I think capture what it looks like when the Lock-On is off vs on:

View attachment 9197268

View attachment 9197269

View attachment 9197270

Feel:
The putter has an insert that I felt like I got along with. To me it seemed really similar up to the Tour B X ball I play. That might make it a little firm or clicky on the spectrum of inserts but it felt familiar to me. So far I haven’t experienced any of the harsh sounds that prior testers have. There is a slight change in sound and feel on toe and heel strikes, but not enough where it feels like I’m going to hit it a different speed than intended.

The head feels like it’s lighter than my current gamer (I don’t see the 701 head weight on TEE’s website; my gamer is 375 g), but overall the balance was good. Even though my speed control was good, I think I’ll want to add some headweight to make it a little more comfortable.

Shaft, Grip, Headcover:
The stock shaft is a KBS CT Tour 120, which IMO is the best steel putter shaft I’ve used. The grip is a Lamkin Sink Fit in the pistol model. I’ve played some of the other Sink Fit shapes and enjoyed them, but I don’t think I’m a huge fan of the sharp triangular shape. The custom colors look sharp though:

View attachment 9197271

View attachment 9197272

The headcover looks pretty nice andI’m pretty impressed they were able to get all the putter tech plus a premium stock shaft and grip, and a nice looking headcover, all for $199.

View attachment 9197273

View attachment 9197274

Performance:
9 holes is a small sample size, and I’ve had lots of clubs with honeymoon periods, but I putted really well with this putter today. Over the 9 holes I had 4 one putts and 5 two putts, and made putts of around 6, 12, and 15 feet. I didn’t have any really long lag putts, but the mid range ones were all hit inside of 3 feet. A couple of the mid range putts could have dropped with another foot or two of pace.

Overall, I’m pretty impressed with this putter especially for the price point. So far I’m a believer in the Lock-On alignment. I’m excited to keep testing and get even more comfortable with it.
Awesome stuff. The alignment system is good. I had an issue with setting up to the ball with the toe too far up and with the wingman alignment, getting the visual confirmation that I was in the right place is such a huge benefit.

Look what arrived today!

IMG_0344.jpeg
IMG_0345.jpeg

Back