Trying to Break 80 Club

I came darn close today. Shot 80. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

I've shot under 80 once this year. I thought today was the day for #2. Front nine shot a 1 over... 36. Par on 10 and 11 then the wheels fell off. 9 over in 4 holes :( :( regrouped and pars on the final three holes for an 82. Going back out tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Good luck with it Damaikis!

Thanks dude. They're punching the greens now so I'll have to wait a few weeks to get a full, good 18 in.

Damaikis, its going to happen soon! I love how we are like, dang, i shot 80, poo

Damaikis, its going to happen soon! I love how we are like, dang, i shot 80, poo

I'm glad I didn't ever shoot 80! Right to 79 from 82 was nerve-racking enough for me!

I'm glad I didn't ever shoot 80! Right to 79 from 82 was nerve-racking enough for me!

I had like 5 80's and several 81's.....a couple of those 80's I knew going to #18 tee box that a par would give me 79 and made bogey to shoot 80...drove me nuts!

I had like 5 80's and several 81's.....a couple of those 80's I knew going to #18 tee box that a par would give me 79 and made bogey to shoot 80...drove me nuts!

See, that would have sucked having so many close calls. It was bad enough that I knew I needed to par #18 to break 80. I never liked knowing where I was score-wise, but when you are 9-over, you kind of have a good idea.

See, that would have sucked having so many close calls. It was bad enough that I knew I needed to par #18 to break 80. I never liked knowing where I was score-wise, but when you are 9-over, you kind of have a good idea.

yeah it drove me crazy for awhile....then when I finally did it, I ended up doing it twice in like 3 weeks...I still have only done it 4 times

I'm still looking for the second time. Maybe Sunday? It will be tough, a tougher course and greens that aren't as nice as what I have been used to.

I tried to follow up last weeks breakthrough. Came up just short with a 39+42=81. I'll get it back.

I'm going to make this my goal before end of year.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm still looking for the second time. Maybe Sunday? It will be tough, a tougher course and greens that aren't as nice as what I have been used to.

Ever since I broke 80 for the first time a month ago I haven't come close since. I've heard some people say that once you get over the hump it gets easier but I'm finding the opposite. I think for me it was a goal I set out to accomplish and now that I did I've become complacent. Kind of like a team that wins a championship then comes back the next year and looks sluggish and everyone says its a championship "hangover." I think right now I'm going through my "Breaking 80 Hangover."

I've been close, but never broken it. Low round in high school was an 80, and even after being away for awhile, I can still shoot in the mid 80s. I'm getting back into it, currently, and made a no win situation bet with my dad that I'd break 80 the next time I play with him or I'd give him 500 bucks. I'll be making sure that he doesn't get $500.

YAY i finally broke 80 today on my home course. Shot a 76 today on a par 72 course. Ive had a couple of 79's before but they were on par 67 courses, so todays score i class as my best ever.

Getting closer to breaking 80. Shot my best ever 81 last week 40/41 - FIR 4/14 - 6/18 GIR only 30 putts which I think saved my round. This was on a course I've only played a few times.

The key for me is keeping the ball in play off the tee. Only 4 FIR but the others were playable for the most part. Looking forward to playing local courses soon and seeing if I can break through.

Will be watching others to see who can break through!

YAY i finally broke 80 today on my home course. Shot a 76 today on a par 72 course. Ive had a couple of 79's before but they were on par 67 courses, so todays score i class as my best ever.

Congrats, lopsta!

Ive broken 80 a couple of times, but they are at courses that I have played a few times. My goal is to break 80 on courses I have played less than three or four times. The challenge being to play smarter, patient golf, taking the time to really think about the layout of each hole and where shots should play. I have had a few 74-75's slip away because of hitting the ball in the wrong place. Then I have seen rounds go to hell because of lost ball, or being in the wrong position on three or four shots. But hey thats the fun and challenge of golf that keeps us coming back. !

Jay

I haven't done it yet... my goal this year was to break 80 for the first time. I have only had 3 rounds in the 80's (83, 86, 87), got new irons in July AND had my swing analyzed and my swing motion almost completely changed. Going to keep putting in the effort in hopes of making a fall round crack the magic number!

broke 80 for the first time this year, awesome feeling. Amazing how working on the short game helps lower your scores.

Ever since I broke 80 for the first time a month ago I haven't come close since. I've heard some people say that once you get over the hump it gets easier but I'm finding the opposite. I think for me it was a goal I set out to accomplish and now that I did I've become complacent. Kind of like a team that wins a championship then comes back the next year and looks sluggish and everyone says its a championship "hangover." I think right now I'm going through my "Breaking 80 Hangover."

Me too, I haven't been close. Been shooting in the high 80's low 90's lately. Its been about 2 months now since I broke 80. Ohh well. I will keep hacking at it. Eventually it'll happen again.

Hi!

It was a auspicious start, horrible tee shot on the first, that's what I get for going straight to the tee! Stumbled my way around the first few holes before settling in and playing some silly good golf. Birdied #5 after a spectacular drive and lay up. 15 putts on the front and I carded a 38. We had a little delay at the turn and I got to thinking about my front 9 when it occurred to me that I had broken my personal best for 9 holes. My stomach groaned a few times once it set in and I began thinking about doing something special. Stop it! I said to myself, you're here to have fun, not grind.

On to #10, obiliterated my drive down the left side only to hit the old high wedge into a hard wind blowing from my right. Left me with 35' and two putts, saved thankfully. Stupid bogey on the next after my par putt went around the cup. Bounced back with a fantastic birdie on the next. Again, destroyed my drive down the left, flirting with ob but got a fortuitous bounce and had 109 in. Sent a 588 PW right over the stick and drained a 15' downhill right to left putt. Boring pars until #16 when I started thinking. Last time out I was on track to get under 80, as fate would have it I was on the same tee box again.

In my head I was a freaking mess, I swear the temp went up 5* and my driver lost a 100 cc's! Hit a nice fade down the right, 125 in to a back pin. Since I wasn't sure how close the hole was to the back and knowing its kinda ugly back there I failed out to the front. Well I bailed a little too much and left myself a loooong putt uphill and breaking left, or so I thought. It broke right in front of the hole. Missed a measely 8' putt that I could make with my eyes closed. Oh boy here you go again Danny, epic collapse is all I could think heading to #17.

Another hammered driver put me with a 9 iron to the green, hit it well but for whatever reason came up a tad short. No problem right? Haha, no. Hit my wedge exactly how I wanted but it bit hard. I was planning for a bit of release to the hole. Left with 10' and yet again I miss an easy putt. Card another bogey. At this point I'm seething, this will not slip away again, I will not be denied!

Come to 18 not knowing my score but figured birdie on the par 5 would get me under 80. Great drive followed up by a beautiful M5 just short of the greenside bunker. Pitched over and onto the green. The pin was in a dumb spot that was almost impossible to get close to unless you were past the hole. With water and death bunker being long I wasn't flirting with a big number, hence my lay up. Missed my birdie putt by mere inches and let out an audible groan. Knocked in the par putt and thought oh well.

Well in just a few seconds I damn near did cartwheels down the fairway. My fatass doesn't do gymnastics. Input my numbers to golfshot and it totaled 76. Ecstatic! I did it!! The round I thought would never come finally happened. Oddly it came on my once month "fun round," a round where I had planned to just go out and play without thinking about score or anything else, just playing for the love of the game.

Sorry I got long winded.

Congrats, SW!

Back