Trying to Break 80 Club

I JUST DID IT YESTERDAY! First round of the season no less, shot a 39/39 - 78 at my local muni! Driving was a huge part, because I didn't hit any iron longer than an 8 all day, and it was more wedges. I also had only 1 3 putt the whole day, and made up for it with two 1 putts. I hit a 2h on from 220 out on a par 5 that resulted in a two putt, tap in bird! Stats: 35 putts, 11 GIR (61.1%), 7/14 fairways hit (when I missed though, it wasn't by much), 2 birdies, and nothing worse than a bogey.

What a way to kick off my season! Hoping it will get even better. Good luck to the rest of you questing for < 80 - you'll crack it when you least expect it!

Congrats buddy! Way to go!

Congrats SkiBum!

I JUST DID IT YESTERDAY! First round of the season no less, shot a 39/39 - 78 at my local muni! Driving was a huge part, because I didn't hit any iron longer than an 8 all day, and it was more wedges. I also had only 1 3 putt the whole day, and made up for it with two 1 putts. I hit a 2h on from 220 out on a par 5 that resulted in a two putt, tap in bird! Stats: 35 putts, 11 GIR (61.1%), 7/14 fairways hit (when I missed though, it wasn't by much), 2 birdies, and nothing worse than a bogey.

What a way to kick off my season! Hoping it will get even better. Good luck to the rest of you questing for < 80 - you'll crack it when you least expect it!
Great work! This is my goal for the end of the year! Lots of work between now and then. (Helped by the fact I play on a par 70 course:whew: )

Thanks guys! Now I just need to keep the average down so I can achieve my other goal for the end of the year of dropping the cap down to near 10...ambitious, I know!

You'll get there Bandito! For me it was a matter of just getting it in the hole in 3 or less shots most of the time when inside 150 yds.

Thats good SkiBumGolfer...... Glad to see you having success.... Keep working and youll be to the single digits in no time!

That's awesome ski bum. Hope you have many more down the road.

great job man!

Congrats skibum, all down here from there.

My 2nd time out for the year and while not under 80, I was pretty pumped with it. 58* at tee time and got up to 68*. The course is in great shape, but still using makeshift tee boxs and the greens are covered with sand. The sand is heavy on the front, so forget your line and speed there.

43/39 82 for the round with 33 putts. Fw's and greens were solid for me with 10/9 on the day, just struggled to get my chips and putts to the hole through the sand.

12 pars, but 5 bogeys, 1 double and a stupid triple that was a result of playing through a group. Great day to be out, i'll take it.

Congrats skibum, all down here from there.

My 2nd time out for the year and while not under 80, I was pretty pumped with it. 58* at tee time and got up to 68*. The course is in great shape, but still using makeshift tee boxs and the greens are covered with sand. The sand is heavy on the front, so forget your line and speed there.

43/39 82 for the round with 33 putts. Fw's and greens were solid for me with 10/9 on the day, just struggled to get my chips and putts to the hole through the sand.

12 pars, but 5 bogeys, 1 double and a stupid triple that was a result of playing through a group. Great day to be out, i'll take it.

Not bad for sandy greens, that's for sure! I sure hate those triples, especially from stuff like that. We had a really nice day here as well, it got up to around 70* for us. I wore long pants and was almost wishing for shorts by the end!

For me it was a matter of just getting it in the hole in 3 or less shots most of the time when inside 150 yds.

This sounds like a good approach - My last round of the fall last year before the course was winterized, I par'd all 5 par 3's. Had 4 putts for birdie & only had to save par on 1... I want to keep that up (make a birdie putt every now & then would be nice) and quit wasting shots either off the tee or getting to the green.

Congrats ski bum on the round, hope there's more to come. I also am pretty consistantly in the 80's and seems there's only those one or two things a round that stop me from getting there,but I'm hoping this year I can get out more and get it done

Congrats Ski bum! Great round!

Nice round Ski. Once the snow mealts I'm booth looking forward and dreading posting in this thread. :doh:

congrats SkiBum. here's wishing you many more.

my first sub-80 round is one of my targets for the 2013 season.

Congrats SkiBum!

Finally did it with a 39/40 79 at my previous home course today, it's always been good to me and today was no exception. I could sure get used to playing golf like that...what a rush! Just a few short weeks ago I shot an abysmal 96 with my brother in law and now this.

Finally did it with a 39/40 79 at my previous home course today, it's always been good to me and today was no exception. I could sure get used to playing golf like that...what a rush! Just a few short weeks ago I shot an abysmal 96 with my brother in law and now this.

Thanks for giving me hope that my 90+ rounds can turn into something respectable. Congrats again on the round!

Congrats ArmyGolf! It must have been tough but you stuck it out!

Congrats AG!!

Subscribed and congrats AG!

Add me to the club. 80 is my PB, which I shot last fall. My lowest so far this year is 84, so I'm knocking on the door again (I hope)!

I'll join in on this thread. I played in high school then didn't play for my first two years of college and started back last summer. My only 3 rounds this year were 86, 87, and a 90 on a course I have never played before. I hit a few great drives a round with several snap hooks thrown in to ruin my focus. I hit my irons well but have lately missed a good many greens to the right and then have to try and get up and down on most holes. This year through practice my chipping and putting have greatly improved. If I play smart off the tee I feel like I can break 80 before this fall.

I'll join in on this thread. I played in high school then didn't play for my first two years of college and started back last summer. My only 3 rounds this year were 86, 87, and a 90 on a course I have never played before. I hit a few great drives a round with several snap hooks thrown in to ruin my focus. I hit my irons well but have lately missed a good many greens to the right and then have to try and get up and down on most holes. This year through practice my chipping and putting have greatly improved. If I play smart off the tee I feel like I can break 80 before this fall.

Good luck bud..it's all about avoiding the big mistake(for me it's being able to play the same ball all round). It's certainly doable and you have the right mindset.

Congrats, Army Golf!

Back