Trying To Break 90 Club

This has been my goal all year since I shot a 94 on my last round last season. I started out this season shooting in the low 100's, but the last 5 rounds I've been shooting in the 94-96 range, with one dreadful 108 in there. It seems every round I have a great front or back nine but I can never seem to put them together for a great round.

I was out today and I shot a 41 on the back nine, played a really good nine, but my front nine was a pretty miserable 54.

Hopefully I can put together a good front and back to break that elusive 90!

Good Golfing everyone!

I'm coming really, really close to breaking 90 again (only did it once about five years ago). I'm hitting nice drives most of the time (in fairway and 210-230 yards -- much better than the 180 the last few years), but I'm killing myself on second shots. Keep hitting the ground before the ball (on the plus side, they usually go straight and close to 100 yards, so at least the next shot gets me close). I've shot a few 95-98 rounds, and on my local nine-hole course several 45s, but giving up too many strokes on those second shots.

A month ago I carded a 97, hit 13 of 14 fairways, but not a single GIR!!!

I'm changing my approach -- instead of hitting a full shot (which is killing me from the fairway), I'm going up a club and taking a 3/4 swing. That is helping with making solid contact. Once I get that fixed, I'll work on the short game more, which should make breaking 90 something I do at least a few times each year.

I'm coming really, really close to breaking 90 again (only did it once about five years ago). I'm hitting nice drives most of the time (in fairway and 210-230 yards -- much better than the 180 the last few years), but I'm killing myself on second shots. Keep hitting the ground before the ball (on the plus side, they usually go straight and close to 100 yards, so at least the next shot gets me close). I've shot a few 95-98 rounds, and on my local nine-hole course several 45s, but giving up too many strokes on those second shots.

A month ago I carded a 97, hit 13 of 14 fairways, but not a single GIR!!!

I'm changing my approach -- instead of hitting a full shot (which is killing me from the fairway), I'm going up a club and taking a 3/4 swing. That is helping with making solid contact. Once I get that fixed, I'll work on the short game more, which should make breaking 90 something I do at least a few times each year.

I just did the same thing and switched to a 3/4 swing. Too much trouble with a full swing and I don't think you lose any distance in the switch. Good luck w/ the swing change.

That's great Redman Congratulations!
Thanks Matt.

I just did the same thing and switched to a 3/4 swing. Too much trouble with a full swing and I don't think you lose any distance in the switch. Good luck w/ the swing change.

Yeah, it's kind of crazy -- I've hit the green from 190-200 yards with my 3 wood more times than I've hit the green from 150yds. Hope the 3/4 swing works for me as well. I'm also thinking of switching my 5 iron for a hybrid (got rid of my 3&4 irons for a 7wood years ago).

I'm also thinking of switching my 5 iron for a hybrid (got rid of my 3&4 irons for a 7wood years ago).

I've been lugging around my 3 and 4 iron's for the past two seasons and I've only hit each one about twice, and each time it has been met with complete failure. This Christmas I am going to replace my 3 and 4 irons with hybrid and a 60 degree wedge. I figure a third wedge will help me around the greens and the hybrid will be much more useful than the long irons I don't use. Hopefully I'll cut a few strokes off my game and get closer to breaking 90.

Good Golfing!

when I minimize the blow up holes from an average of 3 per round to just 1 per round, I'll be in the mid to high 80's club soon. I'm looking forward to it. ball striking has been the key the past few rounds. lotsa practice on short game (50 yards and in) and putting is in the works. too bad, the season will be over soon. I'm already looking forward to next season.

I've been lugging around my 3 and 4 iron's for the past two seasons and I've only hit each one about twice, and each time it has been met with complete failure. This Christmas I am going to replace my 3 and 4 irons with hybrid and a 60 degree wedge. I figure a third wedge will help me around the greens and the hybrid will be much more useful than the long irons I don't use. Hopefully I'll cut a few strokes off my game and get closer to breaking 90.

Good Golfing!
if you guys are struggling with hitting long irons, I recommend checking out the Mashie's. I recently put the M2 and M3 in the bag to replace 5w and 3 hybrid and this has given me a lot of confidence on reaching long approach esp on long Par 4's (420+ yards). I only drive the ball about 200 yards on average. I've been told that I swing too easy and I plan on addressing that this winter. pulling the M2 out for a 200 yards approach, doesn't matter if it's on the rough or fairway, I have the same confidence that I'll hit it straight. I normally face or slice but ever since the Mashie's, I've had to adjust for straighter shots. I'm still waiting for my hook up for the M4 to arrive to replace the 4i in the bag. I only use the 4i for long Par 3's where I can tee it up.

DID IT! Shot 89 (44/45) at Black Butte Ranch Big Meadow and then backed it up with an 87 (46/41) at my home course Baywood Golf and Country Club. Would have broken 40 on the back but got excited and doubled 18. I am shocked because the back is by far the toughest and I had never shot under 45 so after a 46 on the front I kind of wrote the round off. Go figure.

DID IT! Shot 89 (44/45) at Black Butte Ranch Big Meadow and then backed it up with an 87 (46/41) at my home course Baywood Golf and Country Club. Would have broken 40 on the back but got excited and doubled 18. I am shocked because the back is by far the toughest and I had never shot under 45 so after a 46 on the front I kind of wrote the round off. Go figure.

That is Awesome!! Congratulations! I hope I can write a similar post before season's end.

Congrats to Redman and bumpnrun, thats awesome guys.

I have a round schedules for thursday, maybe my time will come lol

congrats. :D

Wow, I shot an 89 today and broke 90 for the first time. I am so stoked!!!

Congrats Redman!! Don't you just love the feeling you get when you cross the decade barrier?

Way to go Bumpnrun!

I broke 90 once last year, and about 6 times this year, shooting for 85

MattyCaulk Approved!

Well here I am back to report how the past month has been for me in my quest to Break 90 by next year's Outing and Demo Day.

I just got back from almost 2 straight weeks of vacation at my folk's house in N. Michigan where I played golf almost every day and one day did 36 holes of golf. I kept track of all my scores, stats, and course info for the Precept iQ+ testing I'm doing so I thought I'd share how I did and how I'm doing.

I played 10 rounds of golf in the 13 day vacation. My high score was a 102 (on a really hard course that I should have moved up a tee box on but my ego...) and my low score was a 92 (on my family's home 18 hole course that I play regularly on). My average score was 96.

My average front 9 was 53 and my average back 9 was 46. I think this is interesting because the best front 9's I had, 44 - 47, were on the days I didn't have a chance to do my typical warm up. I also find it funny that my two best back 9s were ones where I actually stopped, had a lunch in the 19th or Back 9 grille, versus my typical quickly grab a sandwich at the turn and jump right back on the cart to keep going scenario.

My best stretch of holes was a birdie, birdie, par, par, birdie stretch of holes I played on the last 9 of my 36 hole day when I was so tired, I wasn't thinking just doing. (hmmm...sensing I should exhaust myself more often).

I have been working really hard on keeping focused on one shot at a time versus getting ahead of myself and planning two or three shots. I also have been making sure that if I don't feel comfortable with a shot, I back off and reset myself. This has prevented me from wasting strokes doing stupid things like chunking a short pitch or hitting a ground ball 2nd shot with a fairway wood. All in all, I'm really happy with my progress.

My clubs are suppose to be delivered home today (I shipped them to my parent's house) so I'm excited to get out and play this weekend.

Well here I am back to report how the past month has been for me in my quest to Break 90 by next year's Outing and Demo Day.

I just got back from almost 2 straight weeks of vacation at my folk's house in N. Michigan where I played golf almost every day and one day did 36 holes of golf. I kept track of all my scores, stats, and course info for the Precept iQ+ testing I'm doing so I thought I'd share how I did and how I'm doing.

I played 10 rounds of golf in the 13 day vacation. My high score was a 102 (on a really hard course that I should have moved up a tee box on but my ego...) and my low score was a 92 (on my family's home 18 hole course that I play regularly on). My average score was 96.

My average front 9 was 53 and my average back 9 was 46. I think this is interesting because the best front 9's I had, 44 - 47, were on the days I didn't have a chance to do my typical warm up. I also find it funny that my two best back 9s were ones where I actually stopped, had a lunch in the 19th or Back 9 grille, versus my typical quickly grab a sandwich at the turn and jump right back on the cart to keep going scenario.

My best stretch of holes was a birdie, birdie, par, par, birdie stretch of holes I played on the last 9 of my 36 hole day when I was so tired, I wasn't thinking just doing. (hmmm...sensing I should exhaust myself more often).

I have been working really hard on keeping focused on one shot at a time versus getting ahead of myself and planning two or three shots. I also have been making sure that if I don't feel comfortable with a shot, I back off and reset myself. This has prevented me from wasting strokes doing stupid things like chunking a short pitch or hitting a ground ball 2nd shot with a fairway wood. All in all, I'm really happy with my progress.

My clubs are suppose to be delivered home today (I shipped them to my parent's house) so I'm excited to get out and play this weekend.

Looking forward to teeing it up with you this month sweety! Bring your "A" game..

awesome MaryC. always good to keep stats to figure out which area of the game needed the most work on. I'm so glad our league keeps track of some things but I really need to make some kind of spreadsheet for recreational or practice sessions. keep it going and I'm sure you'll break 90's soon. good luck. :D

Good job mc, my back 9s are always better then my fronts

MattyCaulk Approved!

Found this thread due to the "Trying to break 100" thread and I am a dedicated member, my standard is a 91. I have broken 90 once, shot an 89 2 1/2 weeks ago. Putting is my problem, if I two putt I am ecstatic. Did terrible on the front 9 (49), but EVERYTHING clicked on the back (40). I was 30 minutes late to church but it was the best golf I had ever played. Lol

Found this thread due to the "Trying to break 100" thread and I am a dedicated member, my standard is a 91. I have broken 90 once, shot an 89 2 1/2 weeks ago. Putting is my problem, if I two putt I am ecstatic. Did terrible on the front 9 (49), but EVERYTHING clicked on the back (40). I was 30 minutes late to church but it was the best golf I had ever played. Lol

Congrats! That's awesome!

I broke 90 for the first time last year by shooting an 81. What's really funny about that, I played the day before and shot in the high 90s. Prior to that, I came close a few times...had to par the last 2 holes to break 90 and I ended up bogey, bogey or bogey, double bogey. Once you do it, it's definitely not as tough cause you know you can do it. Took me a couple years to break 90.

Did it twice last year ... once was on a par 65, so that doesn't really count. Common thread each time - my putting was stellar. Breaking 90 is all about the flat stick for me.

My new personal best, as of this past Saturday, is 84. Now I'm joining the "Trying to break 80 club". I definitely second the thought of it being directly related to an improvement in putting, mine was switching to a center shaft.

Right there with you fellas. I had a seasons best a week ago, scoring an 88 and should have been around 84 to 85. A few too many 3 putts and my chipping let me down on 2 holes. Next round I shot a 93 on a course with a slope rating of 129, same problem...short game and putting. I'm really focusing on those two problem areas right now. Trying to break 90 all of the time and really wanting to be a solid 14 or 15 handicap by seasons end.

Congratulations to the posters who just recently broke the 90 barrier. I've shot 90 before, once, but I'm stuck in the high 90s right now.

I'm throwing away shots in putting and chipping mostly. But I've got to be mentally stronger as well because when I get myself in trouble, I stay there rather than recovering. So my scores can be Par, Par, Bogey, Quad, Triple.... One bad shot leads to another bad shot, leads to a bad hole, leads to another bad hole. I will break 90 before the end of this year though.

Back