Trying To Break 90 Club

Haha, I remember a few months ago maybe in December, I shot 84 and I was extatic, then my friend pointed to the scorecard where it states the par for the course, 32out-33in total 65, 5004 yards from the blues, I have shot a 88 and on Easter shot 89, of course I don't count these, so I am in this club for a little while longer, hopefuly not too much longer.

I love this thread! I'm in this club! I started golfing last year and hit 92 7 times. As soon as I get close I collapse. I'm actually good at chipping... its the putting that prevents me from breaking it. Hopefully in year 2 I could shoot in the 80s with consistency! Good luck my fellow club members!

I love this thread! I'm in this club! I started golfing last year and hit 92 7 times. As soon as I get close I collapse. I'm actually good at chipping... its the putting that prevents me from breaking it. Hopefully in year 2 I could shoot in the 80s with consistency! Good luck my fellow club members!

Looks like you are ahead of the game dude.

Definitely ahead of the game!!! I started last year as well and am just trying to get under 100! still makes me part of the club though :). Breaking 90 is one of my goals though and do feel it is obtainable!

I started posting in this thread a little over a year ago, then I started working on my short game....nothing over 100 yards. I spent hours and hours hitting pitches and chips with every club and every trajectory I could think of...I made games up to make it more interesting...I did this for several months 2 to 3 times a week and the next thing I know not only have I broken 90, but I am knocking on the door of 80! And in fact, I have broken 80 3 times now....so work on the short game guys....2 thirds of all shots are taken within 100 yards of the green....you start shaving a stroke every other hole and that 95 just became an 86!

I started posting in this thread a little over a year ago, then I started working on my short game....nothing over 100 yards. I spent hours and hours hitting pitches and chips with every club and every trajectory I could think of...I made games up to make it more interesting...I did this for several months 2 to 3 times a week and the next thing I know not only have I broken 90, but I am knocking on the door of 80! And in fact, I have broken 80 3 times now....so work on the short game guys....2 thirds of all shots are taken within 100 yards of the green....you start shaving a stroke every other hole and that 95 just became an 86!

right on TBT!....I know personally ive struggled lately from 90-105, there is no reason I should hit the green more times than not, but that hasnt been the case, as ive been pulling balls left. Hoping the combo of getting a lesson and the new 588 wedges put an end to that! Should easily be 5-6 strokes better just caseu of that, as well as a few strokes better if I can ever make a 5 foot putt

This is great advice right here, this where I take even more than just a third of my shots, when I do the math at home after a round, I just kick myself thinking that at least about ten of those shots could've been saved, working on it, my goal is to average mid 80s by summers end, the only way I will do this is with better short game, this the name of the game in my opinion.

I broke 90 today with a 44/45 for 89, but was actually kind of disappointed I didn't go a lot lower. I had 39 putts (usually a relative strength of my game) and a really stupid big number on a par 5 after hitting 3 from 100 yards out.

After finally breaking 90 last year I went out and shot a 93 my first round this year. Things are looking good going forward with the rest of the season!

I'm so in this club ... always shoot in the 90s. Once in a blue moon, I'll break into the high 80's, but can't seem to put it all together enough to get there consistently. Going to switch into game management mode - more lay up comfy yardage wege shots instead of attempting hero shots into the green involving fairway woods or long irons.

These tips helped a guy in the office here go from trying to break 90 to shooting in the low 80s several times this year so far. He was losing the club at the top so I told him to tighten his grip in just the ring and pinky fingers of his left hand (righthander) and also to chip any short chip - less than about 10 yards off the green - with a putt stroke using a wedge turned down some so you are hitting what amounts to a putt with mostly the toe of the wedge. Same as your putting stance and grip and it will roll straight and true after it lands on the green. He is sinking some of these chips and hitting more greens than ever before when he was pretty erratic before. Maybe it will help someone else too.

47/42 on my home course!!! First time in years I have broken 90! Amen to good wedge work!

Good job! I, too, have been tirelessly working on said short game. Two weeks ago, I was terrified of that thirty yard chip. Now, after attacking the barrel at he old golf range, I am consistent and exited for my next game.

I finally broke 90 last week! I've been golfing just under a year now and now i'm on to the next goal, 80! Or maybe i'll go easy on myself and shoot for 85, even though I shot an 86. Naaa, 80 it is! Keys for me were keeping my drives in the fairway (only had 1 penalty stroke), short game (no shanks, flubbs, chili dips, etc), and putting (even though I still had 4-3 putts, all on par 5's when putting for birdie!)

I finally broke 90 last week! I've been golfing just under a year now and now i'm on to the next goal, 80! Or maybe i'll go easy on myself and shoot for 85, even though I shot an 86. Naaa, 80 it is! Keys for me were keeping my drives in the fairway (only had 1 penalty stroke), short game (no shanks, flubbs, chili dips, etc), and putting (even though I still had 4-3 putts, all on par 5's when putting for birdie!)

Awesome!! I've only broke 90 a few times but feel like I'm close. My goal is to be consistently in the low 80s by the end of the year.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Me too. Can shoot 43-47 on nine but heck when it gets to 18 holes I struggle sometimes getting under 100!

Me too. Can shoot 43-47 on nine but heck when it gets to 18 holes I struggle sometimes getting under 100!

Happens to all of us. Last round I shot 43 on the front and 53 on the back. Dagger!!!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Nice job RPR! Let's have us a little race to 80...

I broke 90 a few times last year and after yesterday I feel like I'll be getting there more quickly and more often this year. The big thing for me has been keeping it in play off the tee. I've started using my 3 wood more often from the tee box and that's helped quite a bit. For whatever reason (mental, I'm sure :D ) I'm able to hit the 3 wood farther off the tee than my driver sometimes. And, of course, the 3 wood goes straighter. I hit a 47/44 yesterday and that 44 was absolutely maddening because it included two 3-putts and a 1-putt, triple-bogey 7. The 7 was particularly terrible because I put it in the fairway off the tee. Take off 2 putts plus drop that 7 to a 5 and I'm at 40 on the back. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

I should have managed to break 90 today but I had a terrible first nine. Usually I'm around 46-48 strokes max on the front nine but today I shot a 54 on the front (it's a par 37) shot a 40 on the back nine (par 35) to at least manage to keep it under 100 but that front nine just really hurts.

i started playing about a year ago shooting around 110 to 105 , i have been shooting between 94 and 92. one of the biggest key to get to this point is practice between 50 and 30 yards and putting, it is amazing how many shots i have been able to save. i have the same issue with my driver so i use my 3 wood to keep it on the fairway.

I have been shooting pretty good on the front lately 39 42 37 and then blow it up on the so far the closets was a 91

I finally achieved the feat with an 89 last weekend! I thought I finally figured this game out lol Then the 2 rounds after was a 108 and a 103! This game can be so frustrating!

Did it shot an 85 today 41front 44 back wow feels good

41/42 for a 83! Getting close to my summer goal of sub-80!

Back