Trying To Break 90 Club

Good job! I, too, have been tirelessly working on said short game. Two weeks ago, I was terrified of that thirty yard chip. Now, after attacking the barrel at he old golf range, I am consistent and exited for my next game.
Working on my chipping like crazy. It keeps paying off! Good luck!

Hi guys as u can see this is my first post on the forum but I have been following this thread for a few weeks and hearing everyone elses great stories it's really given me the extra motivation I needed to try and break 90 myself. I've been playing golf for almost a year now but have only really gotten into it the last few months. Since last autumn I've been regular scoring mid to low 90s and just couldn't seem to make the breakthrough but finally did it on Saturday!! Played 36 holes scoring 88 and 90!! Had 2 trebles in the 88 and a treble and a quadruple in the 90 too so it could have been even better! All I can say is the extra short game practice I've been doing has really paid off!! Let's hope it wasn't a one off!!

Congratulations to the previous few posters who have just broken 90 for the first time! Wahoo!

And welcome to THP 3eldrs33.

I finally broke 90! I had a horrible front 9 (48) but somehow, everything just started clicking in the back and I shot a 37 in the back!!! First time to 85 and I'm pumped!!!.

The bad thing is that the next day I went out and played the same course (3800). I was on pace to break 90 again but on the last 3 holes i shot a +13!!! Ended up with a 99. One bad shot off the tee (complete slice and lost the balls in the trees) and I completely imploded. Sucks but I don't feel so bad knowing that even pros implode mentally on the tour (remember Rory in the masters?)

Congrats to all who have broken 90 and thanks for sharing the stories. I look forward to joining you all some day...just got to get out of the "break 100" club first!

Cheers,

Newbie Matt

Hit a maddening 89 today. Maddening because I went out in 43 but came in in 46. Don't know what happened there on the back but I just felt off. Started off nicely with a down wind 297 yard drive (probably best ever as I'm usually in the 240-260 area)

The day I break 90 I'm gonna do a little dance

Started playing last June, and didn't play at all from September through March. I've been playing a ton so far this year since April or so, and so I decided that a reasonable goal would be to break 90 by the end of the summer. Fast forward to Tuesday- shot an 87 to break 90 for the first time, then shot an 86 today on my very next round. Ironically enough, each 9 hole set from those 2 rounds has been +8 (the first course was a par 71, the second was par 70). As soon as I can figure out how to putt I really think a <80 round is within reach, though I guess at some point I should probably start playing the back tees. My main course plays at about 6100 yards from the tees I normally play from, but that would jump up to about 6400 playing from the back tees.

I think I need to go back to the breaking 100, I have not recorded a decent round in some time. Lately by the back 9 my game is in shambles along with my driver, irons, wedges and attitude. The wind at our usual course has been bad during the Spring adding to the frustration.

Sunday I am headed out for another attempt to get the game back on track.

I finally broke 100 a few months ago, working the whole month with the head pro has made my long game more consistent and now I shoot mid to low 90's. I have only been playing since last august and I'm constantly working on my swing. I can drive an average of 270 and have waved good bye to my evil slice but I have never been good at pitching which really screws me up when I miss the green and I am not as confident in my sand play as I used to be. I also have been in the process of switching wedges which will keep me here a while as I get used to them. I can hit my irons well and I usually par par 3s since I can hit the green well, the only problem is my short game! Anyways I am happy to have left the 100 club and now in the break 90s club!

This was my all consuming goal last year. I was getting close but a bad shot here or there would keep me from accomplishing this. It lead to me not having fun, focusing on the bad and quiting in September. I didn't even pick up a club until Feb, didn't hit a ball until April, and haven't played yet this year (only a little on the par 3 the last couple of weeks and only 2 range sessions so far this year). So this year, breaking 90 will be my 3rd goal, maybe even lower than that. 1st goal, have fun, 2nd goal focus on the good. I think I'll break the 90 mark this year but it's not going to consume me anymore.

This was my all consuming goal last year. I was getting close but a bad shot here or there would keep me from accomplishing this. It lead to me not having fun, focusing on the bad and quiting in September. I didn't even pick up a club until Feb, didn't hit a ball until April, and haven't played yet this year (only a little on the par 3 the last couple of weeks and only 2 range sessions so far this year). So this year, breaking 90 will be my 3rd goal, maybe even lower than that. 1st goal, have fun, 2nd goal focus on the good. I think I'll break the 90 mark this year but it's not going to consume me anymore.

I've noticed achieving the first goal you mentioned will be the catalyst for the others. Once I realizes I was folding to have fun the other aspects stated to fall into place for me. Scores good shots etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also a member of the club. Been close a few times but I always seem to have 1 or 2 bad holes were I am 3 or 4 shots above the par of the hole which quicky adds 7-8 shots to the round. Picked up a new putter this season that I have a lot of confidence in and am making a lot more putts which is really helping my score. My goal for this season is to try and be consistently in the 80's.

This is my goal this year!! Last summer I picked up the game and was in the 100's and high 90's. Now Im starting to hit the mid 90's and a few times I hit low 90's. If I could keep the ball in the fairway, and try and keep from having those blow up holes this should be reachable...

I only got to play 9 today and shot a 52. I finally decided to schedule my first lesson for Saturday to straighten out my tee shots.

Like others have said, don't add up your score until it's over.
How many times do we say, I feel I played well but just didn't score well, or the other way around, Scored well , but didn't feel I played well. I guess you need the "feeling" not the pressure of knowing 3 bogies will give you an 89.... It ain't gonna happen.
I have shot as low as 83 several 86s but last 4 outings were 93s... I put to much pressure on myself. I try to get a 5 on each hole and if I par one I'm ahead of the game....Like Yogie said "Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."

Broke 90 on 18 for the first time today with an 83. pretty easy/short course but I'm still very happy.

Putted pretty well with only a couple 3 putts. Kept the ball in play all day. I think the game changer is that I've been working on my chipping quite a bit using the method from that video that jb posted a while ago.

I am right on board, shot a 96, 92, 94, and 97 this week (94 & 97 in the same day, so happy to be able to fight the fatigue and only lose 3 strokes to a tougher course) I broke the 100 barrier back in Mid May and I'm trying to cut below 90 by the same day this month. The first time I didn't look at my card or count strokes up throughout the round was that day, I've never looked at my card since and I've stayed below 100 since as well. I'm keeping my eyes on my sub 90 goal and off my scorecard till the rounds over from here on out!

I've been at low 90-91 92 93 and 94 ish on my scores and it's ok but I have hit two 80 in my lifetime and I want to break 90!

I would like to apply for membership to the club. My goal was to consistently be below 100, my last scores are 96, 94, 96, 91, 95, 93, 94. I shot a bit higher at Grand Cypress during the Outing (101, 104) but I learned a lot and am happy with those scores. I think I am ready to try to move on to my next goal of breaking 90. I think so much if it is going to come from the short game.

Broke 90 on 18 for the first time today with an 83. pretty easy/short course but I'm still very happy.

Putted pretty well with only a couple 3 putts. Kept the ball in play all day. I think the game changer is that I've been working on my chipping quite a bit using the method from that video that jb posted a while ago.

Congrats!

Shot a 44 last week...shame I was unable to go a full 18 that day. :( lol.

83 last Sat.. Best round of the year.. 44/39.. Finished with par, birdie, par, par, par.. :)

My game seems to be coming around. My last two rounds were 85 two weeks ago and an 84 today. I made one important move...I left the driver in the bag! I've been hitting 3 wood off the tee and staying out of trouble. I'm not crushing it, but putting the ball out there 210-215 and straight! Sure helps lower the score when you're getting off the tee and staying in the fairway!

I've been coming very close lately..Shooting mid to low 90's. I played an easier course today, definitely thinking I'd break it..but only managed a 91. My irons, and putting were excellent..but my drives were terrible. I don't understand it. Maybe someone can enlighten me with the degree on the driver heads. I've always played a 10.5..but I recently got a 9.5 driver. I only have that because it was bought from a friend. My last round I hit them pretty well...but today, I kept pulling them all to the left. Of course I have to blame the club...it wasn't me or anything lol

Back