Tucked or Untucked that is the question!

Tucked or Untucked that is the question!

• Tuck

Votes: 104 74.3%
  • Untuck

Votes: 36 25.7%

• Total voters

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Alright as the title says, when you play golf do you tuck or untuck the golf shirt. Please give a reason as well I'd love to hear the why.

I untuck now and it's really tied to my hockey playing days when I would have my shooting side loose to allow better movement. It just feels right for me, I always feel restricted when I tuck.

For me it will depend on the course.

regular course=untucked esp on hot days.

New or nicer course= tucked.

always tucked. especially on nice courses....like PGA National haha

Untucked all the way...........too d@mn hot here in south Louisiana to tuck!!!

Untucked for sure! I will only tuck in my shirt if its a button up type shirt that I would wear to a wedding or to church.

always tucked, looks better

Definately untucked, unless I go to a real nice course and everyone has their's tuck. Just more confortable to me to have it untucked.

untucked- comfort and mobility fr the swing, plus no need to "retuck" when the shirt would come out...

Can someone help me with something. How does tucking a shirt in or untucking a shirt help with temperature? Is that much cool air blowing up your shirt during swings? Really curious?

i prefer to tuck. usually my shirt finds its way out of my britches, and i struggle with keeping it tucked for the whole day. i guess i'm an intended tucker that ends up untucked more than i want....never noticed a difference in how hot or cold i was to answer JB's question.

It depends on the course and what shirt I'm wearing to be honest. At PGA Ill be tucked but sometimes it's just more comfortable to be untucked. That's really all it is for me. Just a matter of comfort and what feels best with each shirt.

Can someone help me with something. How does tucking a shirt in or untucking a shirt help with temperature? Is that much cool air blowing up your shirt during swings? Really curious?

I have thought about this from time to time and believe as they say about most things golf... 90% in the head.

For me it depends on what I am wearing. Pants, I always tuck. Shorts, depends on the mood and the outfit but usually tucked.

Tucked for me, the belt is an integral part of the outfit. :)
Occasionally I'll only tuck the front, a la Freddie Jacobson, when I'm feeling sloppy.

I always, always tuck. Along with my opinion about the rules of golf, I also share in the concept of the tradition of dress or 'kept' look that a golfer maintains. To me, being that it is a gentlemen's game, I think it's more than appropriate to wear the proper attire in a tucked, clean fashion.

With the creation of the dri-fit concept of clothing, I have never found an issue with my shirt being tucked, especially in the heat.

With the shirt tucked in it just causes you to sweat more around your waist area because its just another layer of clothes that is tight around your body and with it untucked the shirt moves and isnt directly on the body allowing air to come up so it generally feels cooler than it being tucked in and having what feels like that extra layer right around your waist between your boxers/briefs and shorts.

In short yes, especially with the newer "high performance" shirts, air moves very nicely through the shirt and untucked with a nice breeze = a very comfortable day.

I usually tuck as I think it just looks better and if I look better maybe I'll golf better. And I find no difference in temperature tucked or untucked.

This may have a "size" portion to it. I am personalty built similar to the guy who ate David Duval (though currently shrinking) and I enjoy the extra freedom untucked gives me.

This thread feels like a Seinfield episode.

With the shirt tucked in it just causes you to sweat more around your waist area because its just another layer of clothes that is tight around your body and with it untucked the shirt moves and isnt directly on the body allowing air to come up so it generally feels cooler than it being tucked in and having what feels like that extra layer right around your waist between your boxers/briefs and shorts.

In short yes, especially with the newer "high performance" shirts, air moves very nicely through the shirt and untucked with a nice breeze = a very comfortable day.

I am a little surprised. We have tested hundreds of shirts, and heck I have a closet with more than 100 shirts right now and I have never noticed a difference in temperature being tucked or untucked. I suppose if there was a hurricane like breeze I might feel a difference as wind blows, but I guess some people feel different things.

I don't think that's completely accurate. If you're wearing a moisture wicking shirt the shirt will be pulling the moisture off your body right away as it is. Yes there could be more heat around your waist area due to tucking but it should be minimal. The shirt moves minimally around the waist area any way just by the way it will cling to your shorts from being untucked so what is there to gain aside from a little 'comfort?'
With the shirt tucked in it just causes you to sweat more around your waist area because its just another layer of clothes that is tight around your body and with it untucked the shirt moves and isnt directly on the body so it generally feels cooler than it being tucked in and having what feels like that extra layer right around your waist between your boxers/briefs and shorts.

I want to add something to this. I think that for me and my testing of apparel, when untucked, shirts move and twist more and cause actually more problems for people than when they are being held in place tucked in. I also think that so much is overlooked in apparel in cut, materials, and properly fitting clothes.

unless I'm standing over a fan or laying down feet first into the face of a stiff wind I don't think I have ever noticed air moving up my shirt when untucked.

Depends on the outfit. I'm more comfortable untucked.

I'm like tc in that I'm a tucker but pretty often my shirt comes untucked or maybe just creeps out a little as the round wears on. Most of the time I will continue to work to keep it tucked in but there are times that I just don't mess with it. I do agree though that tucked is much nicer than untucked.

Back