Tucked or Untucked that is the question!

Tucked or Untucked that is the question!

• Tuck

Votes: 104 74.3%
  • Untuck

Votes: 36 25.7%

• Total voters
I go untucked because it feels more comfortable to me. I can see the argument for heat though. When I workout with the military, sometimes I have to tuck in my shirt. I can definately tell a difference. I sweat less and feel much more comfortable with my shirt untucked. But that is while I'm running several miles. Might not be as noticable while golfing.

I am untucked anytime it is warm enough to wear shorts. If I wear pants, I will tuck.

With the shirt tucked in it just causes you to sweat more around your waist area because its just another layer of clothes that is tight around your body and with it untucked the shirt moves and isnt directly on the body allowing air to come up so it generally feels cooler than it being tucked in and having what feels like that extra layer right around your waist between your boxers/briefs and shorts.

That is the same reason why I go untucked. I will go one further and say I never wear a belt either, for the same reasons. The fewer layers in one spot, the better. When I would tuck, all the sweat that drips off my chest and back slides down into the waitline area and collects. The more that is there, the longer it takes to dry. With it untucked the air seems to flow up better and keeps me and the shirt much dryer.

I will also say that the shirts I wear fit me perfectly and the bottom of them only falls a few inches below the waistline of my shorts. So it's not like there is 10 inches of shirt hanging down over my shorts. I untuck for temperature relief, not for any sort of ease of movemement and I have not had any movement issues either. Movement wise, my shirts feel the same tucked or untucked.

I go untucked because it feels more comfortable to me. I can see the argument for heat though. When I workout with the military, sometimes I have to tuck in my shirt. I can definately tell a difference. I sweat less and feel much more comfortable with my shirt untucked. But that is while I'm running several miles. Might not be as noticable while golfing.

You aren't working out in breathable material though, are you?

I guess my biggest thing is that I believe most of the golf clothing out there is designed to breath directly through the shirt, not up or down the arms/neck/waist.

I was just saying why I thought it might be cooler than being tucked in, but it wasnt my reason for wearing it untucked. Untucked just feels better to me, dont have worry about tucking it in or the if its bunched up around my waist, Im not there to look good or impress anybody with my clothes just there to play golf and have a good time. Some people worry to much about clothes and the way they think people should look on the course and in my opinion thats ridiculous, you should wear what you want and not have to tuck in your shirt or wear nice clothes just to impress someone or feel like your being judged for not doing it. Personally I play in cargo shorts, or maybe even some basketball type shorts and a collared shirt or non collared depending on rules in my closet whether it be an old baseball shirt that has a collar, a non collared shirt of a college team or one of the 20 dollar pga tour shirts I bought at jcpennys.

I am untucked anytime it is warm enough to wear shorts. If I wear pants, I will tuck.

That is the same reason why I go untucked. I will go one further and say I never wear a belt either, for the same reasons. The fewer layers in one spot, the better. When I would tuck, all the sweat that drips off my chest and back slides down into the waitline area and collects. The more that is there, the longer it takes to dry. With it untucked the air seems to flow up better and keeps me and the shirt much dryer.

I will also say that the shirts I wear fit me perfectly and the bottom of them only falls a few inches below the waistline of my shorts. So it's not like there is 10 inches of shirt hanging down over my shorts. I untuck for temperature relief, not for any sort of ease of movemement and I have not had any movement issues either. Movement wise, my shirts feel the same tucked or untucked.
I dont wear a belt either when I play, and I agree about sweat dripping down and collecting, even with a moisture wickeing shirt your still going to sweat in 95+ degree heat. That wasnt really my reason why I dont wear my tucked shirt but just a thought why some people dont, I just dont like the way it feels being tucked in. Its just like with anything though, but if you add a layer around your waist and when you take it off it or in this case untuck, it will feel cooler.

I am a little surprised. We have tested hundreds of shirts, and heck I have a closet with more than 100 shirts right now and I have never noticed a difference in temperature being tucked or untucked. I suppose if there was a hurricane like breeze I might feel a difference as wind blows, but I guess some people feel different things.

+1

I'm a tucker from the moment I leave the house...guess it comes from putting on a uniform on every morning to go to work. Heck I even tuck my tshirts into my b-ball shorts when working out, but I rarely ever tuck in a buttondown.

Now when it comes to golfing, if the shirt comes untucked on say #6, I don't worry about it, but I will stop and retuck at the turn before going in the clubhouse.

You have to tuck in your junk. That's the way I was taught, that's what I always do.

Last edited:

This is exactly what I meant. Proper moisture wicking apparel with the right materials will never let sweat collect in one area like that. If it works for you, that is all that matters, but I like I said before, we have tested hundreds of shirts in the FL heat and never noticed a difference temperature wise with moisture wicking material.

I dont wear a belt either when I play, and I agree about sweat dripping down and collecting, even with a moisture wickeing shirt your still going to sweat in 95+ degree heat. That wasnt really my reason why I dont wear my tucked shirt but just a thought why some people dont, I just dont like the way it feels being tucked in. Its just like with anything though, but if you add a layer around your waist and when you take it off it or in this case untuck, it will feel cooler.

That is the exact reason for moisture wicking. Because it pulls the moisture away from your skin.

Ya but not everyone has moisture wicking shirts to play golf in, so that is why it probably feels cooler to them or me if im not wearing a moisture wicking shirt that day. A non moisture wicking shirt would feel better untucked than tucked in because it will cause a lot of sweat stay around the waist area if it was tucked in but untcuked you will still sweat but you will not have that extra layer under your shorts causing you to sweat alot more in that area.

*off topic- I can't believe you guys don't wear belts!

Ya but not everyone has moisture wicking shirts to play golf in, so that is why it probably feels cooler to them or me if im not wearing a moisture wicking shirt that day. A non moisture wicking shirt would feel better untucked than tucked in because it will cause a lot of sweat stay around the waist area if it was tucked in but untcuked you will still sweat but you will not have that extra layer under your shorts.

That is like saying playing in golf shorts is more comfortable and "lighter" than playing in jeans.

A non-wicking shirt will act like a sponge and soak up the sweat wherever it is on your body, not just at the waist. Regardless of whether it's tucked in or not.

Check out the review on moisture wicking fabrics.....
http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=9156

Ya but not everyone has moisture wicking shirts to play golf in, so that is why it probably feels cooler to them or me if im not wearing a moisture wicking shirt that day. A non moisture wicking shirt would feel better untucked than tucked in because it will cause a lot of sweat stay around the waist area if it was tucked in but untcuked you will still sweat but you will not have that extra layer under your shorts causing you to sweat alot more in that area.

*off topic- I can't believe you guys don't wear belts!

Whats your honest reason for wearing a belt? For purely to make your outfit look better right? This is what I was saying about how some people get looked down on because they dont wear the expensive clothes or look exactly the way they should in your eyes. I just dont see spending $30-$60 bucks on a belt for its sole purpose to try and make my outfit look better. I just see no point in that. My opinion though. Now if the belt helps keep your pants up then ya I understand that but not just to make me an outfit look better. Im sure you have more than one belt also, right? lol

gotta be tucked, just learned that way all tucked in and pants thats the way i was taught.

Whats your honest reason for wearing a belt? For purely to make your outfit look better right? This is what I was saying about how some people get looked down on because they dont wear the expensive clothes or look exactly the way they should in your eyes. I just dont see spending $30-$60 bucks on a belt for its sole purpose to try and make my outfit look better. I just see no point in that. My opinion though. Now if the belt helps keep your pants up then ya I understand that but not just to make me an outfit look better. Im sure you have more than one belt also, right? lol

My last belt purchase was last years white nike belt for 10 dollars at TJ Maxx. And I wear them to keep my pants from falling down!

I got the package of 3 from Ross. Helps me feel complete if I do tuck. Some shirts don't shape my body shape (lol) that well. A tuck and belt with fix it though.
My last belt purchase was last years white nike 'badge' belt for 10 dollars at TJ Maxx. And I wear them to keep my pants from falling down!

Actually I look at a belt for two reasons. One it keeps my outfit in tact and the shirt/short combo properly in place. The other is because its an accessory that adds to style. While you would rather spend money on the newest Taylormade clubs as they come out each season, others would rather buy an accessory to make themselves feel better on the course.

Perfect example. You are buying a new Kia Ma putter and sending it off to be painted white. Why? Is it going to serve a purpose on the course? No. You are doing it because you think it will look better. Same scenario.

That is like saying playing in golf shorts is more comfortable and "lighter" than playing in jeans.

A non-wicking shirt will act like a sponge and soak up the sweat wherever it is on your body, not just at the waist. Regardless of whether it's tucked in or not.

Check out the review on moisture wicking fabrics.....
http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=9156
I know i was saying it causes another layer of clothing around the waist area when tucked in causing you to sweat a little more in that are because of the extra layer..

Just giving my opinions, if you like your shirt tucked in and it makes you feel good. Then more power to you. I never said I had a problem with it.

I start virtually every round tucked in and tidy (or as tidy as this body allows) and inevitably I'll start to un-tuck at some point and rather than take the time/trouble to re-tuck I'll casually untuck it all. If time permits at the turn I'll start the process all over again with a quick stop.

To the secondary question... if a pair of pants or shorts has loops, wear a belt with it, simple as that for me.

Always tuck. Just don't like shirts being in my way when i put and chip.

Actually I look at a belt for two reasons. One it keeps my outfit in tact and the shirt/short combo properly in place. The other is because its an accessory that adds to style. While you would rather spend money on the newest Taylormade clubs as they come out each season, others would rather buy an accessory to make themselves feel better on the course.

Perfect example. You are buying a new Kia Ma putter and sending it off to be painted white. Why? Is it going to serve a purpose on the course? No. You are doing it because you think it will look better. Same scenario.

no reason to get defensive here, I never said I had a problem with it all did I? And actually this is the first year I have bought all taylormade clubs, so I dont buy them new each year, not sure what thats suppose to mean.

The putter is for a collection.

no reason to get defensive here, I never said I had a problem with it all did I? And actually this is the first year I have bought all taylormade clubs, so I dont buy them new each year, not sure what thats suppose to mean.

The putter is for a collection.

Nobody is defensive. You said

"This is what I was saying about how some people get looked down on because they dont wear the expensive clothes or look exactly the way they should in your eyes. I just dont see spending $30-$60 bucks on a belt for its sole purpose to try and make my outfit look better. I just see no point in that."

I was merely pointing out that you did the exact same thing with a putter. Bought a "fashion accessory" for it.

Nobody is defensive. You said

"This is what I was saying about how some people get looked down on because they dont wear the expensive clothes or look exactly the way they should in your eyes. I just dont see spending $30-$60 bucks on a belt for its sole purpose to try and make my outfit look better. I just see no point in that."

I was merely pointing out that you did the exact same thing with a putter. Bought a "fashion accessory" for it.

I know I said that but I did not say I had a problem with someone else doing it, just that I would not do it my self as I said I see no point in that. Doesnt mean im saying you shouldnt do it, but for me I dont see a point in it. Now i will wear a belt if my pants are lose to hold them and Im perfectly fine with someone having on a $80 shirt, $60 belt, $200 shoes, and a $60 pair of shorts I just think some people look down on others because they arent dressed nice enough.

I just want the putter for a collection since that kind will not be released to the public so im making one into it. But I understand what your saying though.

I know I said that but I did not say I had a problem with someone else doing it, just that I would not do it my self as I said I see no point in that. Doesnt mean im saying you shouldnt do it, but for me I dont see a point in it. Now i will wear a belt if my pants are lose to hold them and Im perfectly fine with someone having on a $80 shirt, $60 belt, $200 shoes, and a $60 pair of shorts I just think some people look down on others because they arent dressed nice enough.

I just want the putter for a collection since that kind will not be released to the public so im making one into it. But I understand what your saying though.

I'm not disagreeing with you, and I know you're not saying this either, but you don't have to spend that kind of money on clothes to 'look nice'.

I bought last years nike golf plaid pants for 25 bucks, an under armour polo for 20 bucks, a white nike belt for ten bucks, and a nike hat for 10 bucks, and awesome tour 360 shoes for 99 bucks.. All I am saying, is there are a TON of places that allow people to get great clothing at reasonable costs... I don't think these kinds of discussions should be limited to personal wealth.. But that's just my opinion.

About the belts, I never spend big money on them. I have about 7 that I probably spent around $50 on, total. And I'm the same way as the poster who said if there's belt loops, I'll be wearing a belt, plain and simple. I would feel weird without one at this point (and I'm not talking just golf, I mean going out in jeans and stuff too).

Sorry about the threadjack, I should've just started another topic.

Back