UK THP Spring Cup Discussion Thread

Mav281

Mr Inconsistent
Reaction score
Handicap
After a brilliant couple of days golf that formed the UK THP Winter Cup I think it's fair to say that everyone is hugely excited about further UK based THP events.

One suggestion that was floated was to have quarterly meets dotted around the UK which is where the idea of the Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall UK THP Cups came from.

I have spoken to my contact and asked him to float me some ideas of venues and locations towards the back end of May early part of June which will be our Spring Cup.

Unfortunatley prices do obviously rise as we move further into the year, and I have asked my contact to try and strike a balance of the wow factor verses overall cost. Please bare in mind that if this venue is not in your immediate vacinity then there WILL be others later in the year.

Here's some of the suggestions I have at the moment along with rough prices.

The Abbey Hotel Golf and Country Club - Redditch

2 Rounds of golf (Sunday and Monday)
Dinner, accomodation and breakfast
£100 - based on two sharing (includes £5 cont for prizes)

Marriott Forest of Arden Golf and Country Club

2 Rounds of Golf (Sunday and Monday)
Dinner, accomodation and breakfast
Full use of hotel facilities during stay
£135 - based on two sharing (includes £5 cont for prizes)

Celtic Manor Resort

2 Rounds of Golf - One on the Montgomery course, one on the Roman Road Course (Midweek deal)
Accomodation in 4* Hotel and Breakfast
Full use of hotel facilities
£105 - based on two sharing (includes £5 cont for prizes - FYI if we take this option the prizes will be HUGE and definatley worth winning, along with the invalulable UK THP Spring Cup throphy of course ;)

The Belfry

2 rounds of golf - PGA course and the Derby Course
Dinner, accommodation and breakfast
Full use of hotel facilities
£125 - based on two people sharing.

Personally I am open to the venue of the next meet, but would dearly love the opportunity to play at Cletic Manor even if it's not on the 2010 course. I did ask about the 2010 course, but if we want that the price is going north of £190 which I think makes it far less attractive for most people.

These courses are obviously more central to the country or in the case of Celtic manor west, so that would mean that the Summer cup (around July, Aug, Sept) would go either north or down south.

Lets have your thoughts people - would love to double the number that we had for the Winter Cup so speak to your mates, get them on the Hackers Paradise and lets get a nice sizeable group together.

Cheers

Mav

Last edited:
It always snowballs after the first one. It's hard to realize how cool playing with THP'rs is until you get the chance to do so.

love seeing plans for the next one already being made, well done guys!

All about the date for me. If I can do the date, then I'll get there. I have played Celtic Manor, and the two 'lesser' courses are good golf courses, but to go and not play the 2010 will leave a disappointing taste I think. Maybe that is one for the next Winter cup, as it can be got at a much better price then. I think I paid 135 for B&B, the 2010 and the Montgomery.

As a side note, Wales is West MAV!

As I say, I am relaxed about venue. I'm happy to travel and pick up anyone who is on the way (ish). If I can do the date. I'll be there! And of course happy to provide souvenir balls too....:banana:

As per the reply from Mav, and my comments in the other thread, if I can make the date then I will do my best to get there

The Abbey and Forest of Arden are both doable, but Celtic Manor is probably just a touch too far unfortunately

Missed one of the package deals and have also sorted my very minor geographical error!

Kind of with you Stu on the Celtic Manor thing, would be criminal to make the trip and not be able to follow in The footsteps of the pro's. Better deals will crop up later in the year for Celtic manor so happy to put that one on hold if everyone agrees.

My favourites at the moment are Forest of Arden and The Belfry although again going to the Belfry and not getting the Brabazon course might be a little frustrating.

The Belfry is good for me too - not getting to play the Brabazon would be a little frustrating, but to actually see the place would be nice

When there's a date, I will definitely check out the flight prices, it's only a couple of hours flight from Finland, would love to join you guys!

OK lets think about dates as well,

These deals are mainly Sunday/Monday deals which will mean only one or two days off for the majority.

Suggested dates are as follows,

19th/20th May
9th/10th June
16th/17th June

Last edited:
OK lets think about dates as well,

These deals are mainly Sunday/Monday deals which will mean only one or two days off for the majority.

Suggested dates are as follows,

19th/20th May
26th/27th May
9th/10th June
16th/17th June
27th May is a Bank holiday I think....

The only one of those for me would be the 16th/17th June

Did you know the 26/27th May is a bank holiday weekend? Not sure if this would have any bearing on availability or cost?

Edit - El Bandito posted while I was checking out the bank holiday dates

I knew it was in there somewhere, couldn't remember exactly where. I'll take those dates out of contention.

I would be very interested in joining up next time. The Celtic Manor suits me fine too as its only about 20 minutes away from Bristol.

Ideally it would be on a weekend and definitely not the 26th/27th may as I'm in Ibiza that weekend and don't really want to miss out

I've just read through things properly and realised the Celtic Manor is out.

I would be happy with the Belfry, I played the Brabazon last time so it would be good to try the other 2 courses out

I'm up for anything I will go with the flow. Not too fussed with which course I'm always up for a bit of a drive and will always try my best to make the dates.

For me I think we try and play the bigger courses outside of the summer months just because the bigger better courses are always going to push the budget.

There are a few that I would quite like to play

Banbury manor
Forest Pines
Belton Manor/Woods
Woburn

Whatever date we decide, can we book something up soon so that I can try and book the A/L for it? If its lucky enough to fall on my Rest Days then that's cool, but it'll be a nightmare trying to get leave the later we leave it.

Whatever date we decide, can we book something up soon so that I can try and book the A/L for it? If its lucky enough to fall on my Rest Days then that's cool, but it'll be a nightmare trying to get leave the later we leave it.
Goes for me too. MAV, we could look to pencil in the remaining 3 cups soon,allowing people to plan both for the events, and where required mini get togethers in the interim? I agree with you, we want to build the numbers and some dates in the diary would help the Europeans too. I know Castor in Finland is interested (I'm meeting him for a beer next week) then NavyMustang in Copenhagen, our buddy from Belgium etc....

If you slap up 3 dates, I'll do my best to get my diary organised and whip some guys onto the site and the events.

OK - this does seem to work better when a firm date is set, and a location is confirmed so everyone knows exactly what the situation is.

So here goes..........

The UK THP Spring cup will be held at The Belfry Golf Club on Sunday 2nd and Monday 3rd June 2013

The cost of the trip will be £130 which includes a £5 contribution to prizes and the following,

* 18 holes of golf on the PGA course on Sunday 2nd
* Longest Drive and Nearest the Pin prizes on the Sunday
* Evening Meal
* 4* overnight accomodation
* Full use of all onsite facilities throughout our stay
* Breakfast on Monday morning
* 18 holes of golf on the Derby course on Monday 3rd
* Prizes for "Yellow ball tournament", runner up and winner of the Singles Stableford (singles comp runs across both days)

I have opted to go for something slap bang in the middle of the country with a view to trying to get as many people involved as possible. In addition to this we also have a few non UK based players who are potentially looking to "fly in" for the event so with the location being in the vacinity of Birmingham airport that will also be useful.

If I could ask you to add your names to the list below as quickly as possible, I will look to make an in initial booking as quickly over the next week or so.

Cheers,

Mav

UK THP Spring Cup Attendees,

1. Chris "Maverick" Bullock (Paid in full)
2. Andy "Bully" Bullock (Paid in full)

3. Stuart "El Bandito" Lennon (Paid in full)
4. Sam "Short Iron" Guest (Paid in full)
5. Andy "Burgerbudge" Burgess (Paid in full)
6. Neville "Dirk St Moritz" Smith (Paid in full)
7. David "Crag Rat" Balbi (Paid in full)
8. David Liversedge (Paid in full)
9. Glenn "The Doctor" Smith (Paid in full)
10. Tom 'Carlsberg Boy' Simonsen (Paid in full)
11. John "El Jefe" Williams (Paid in full)
12. Rob Newton (Paid in full)
13. Martin Newton (Paid in full)

Last edited:
2. Bully

I will have to double-check that weekend when I get home tonight but fingers crossed it is possible - not sure if I will get online tonight as got a badminton match but will let you know by the weekend at the latest

Unfortunately by the time I got in last night I was absolutely wrecked from my match so didn't get a chance to check, but tonights match should be finished earlier so I will try to get you an answer either later tonight or tomorrow Mav

Back