Unfair practice area policy?

Wake

Reaction score
Handicap
A nearby golf course has a driving range that I frequent. I go there because they have decent balls that aren't dirty or beat up, have decent prices, but most of all because they have a good short game area. I normally go to the range and hit irons for a half hour or so, then head over to the short game area for another half hour, and then head back to hit a few more irons and then my driver.

I went out to the range today, hit my irons, then went to the short game area. I discovered a white line painted all the way around the green, with signs that said "Employees only past this point, no picking up balls, must use purchased range balls". This blew me away. I will usually bring my range balls with me, hit a few to get warmed up, then switch to my own balls. Obviously they react differently on the green.

This really blew me away, does anyone else find this to be a ridiculous policy, or is just me?

I wouldn't frequent a range like that.

Kevin

I will not buy balls to practice with on the green. That is just stupid.

I wouldn't frequent a range like that.

Kevin

Same here, short game practice is crucial and not being able to use your usual ball will waste valuable practice time.

interesting......trying to get people to buy range balls instead of using what is on the green. I would talk with the manager to let him know you brought your own balls to see what his reaction would be. Maybe he would let you use it knowing you got your own. But otherwisem I'm with Esox........bye-bye range.

most ranges i've been to don't have a seperate chipping green.other ranges like the one at gleneagles isn't an issue as they supply you with top notch pro v's.if i were you i'd ask them why all of a sudden they have started doing this,see if they have a good enough reason for it.which they won't have!!

I've done it before, but I think they should let you go get them and hit them again at least. Can always go somewhere else I suppose.

I can see both sides of this. They are trying to get people to not use their short game area for free. I could see maybe having a rule where you can't use your own balls which causes you to buy range balls but then they do not roll as true, react the same, etc.

I would find a different place with all that said.

Let them know you wont be coming back and will tell your friends the same thing. Bad word of mouth plus lost business might make them reconsider at some point.

I would switch. A range about a mile from my house just switched to mats so I now drive about 5 miles to another grass range.

I'd find a new range home too. Nickle and dimming your customers never helped anyone.

The course I go to has a separate putting green and off to the side of the range it has a couple of different chipping greens, one with a large sand trap. I have seen people use range balls and collect them and hit again, and use their own balls. No where does it mention that you need to use purchased range balls on the practice areas. Short game practice can be very delicate and unless I am just trying new ways to contact the ball, I want to use my own balls so I can see how they react.

That's just dumb to me. Makes no sense.

I'd be finding a new practice facility for sure.

I talked to the ranger, and ran into my pro. Basically the policy came from the top. The guy who owns the course came up with the new policy. The people who run it hate it. The ranger encouraged me to email him, and I will.

I talked to the ranger, and ran into my pro. Basically the policy came from the top. The guy who owns the course came up with the new policy. The people who run it hate it. The ranger encouraged me to email him, and I will.

Just curious, which course is this?

thats dumb what happens when everyones balls are blocking the cup and you don't see where your chips are really rolling out to? id def switch ranges if you could

I find this ridiculous. Hopefully there's another range nearby that doesn't do this and allows you to use your own balls when practicing your short game. If there's enough of a loss in business and people keep bubbling up this feedback to the owner, maybe he'll take the hint that he should rethink the policy.

Ridiculous, IMO

I think it's crazy, I know it costs alot of money to keep up a nice short game area, but if you are buying your range balls from them and using your own for chipping and pitching I see no problem with it. Find another place for a while.

Wake two things, I'd talk to management and ask them if it is really necessary to block everyone? Ask why and then plead your case. If they sat tough cookies, leave and don't go back. I understand what they are doing but if you use your own balls I don't see the issue.
2nd you should spend more time on your driver based in your Ted shot at the Fla outing...hehehe

Kongfrontation

Though it is a crazy way to approach it for the reasons mentioned above, if a course is able to generate some revenue for practice other than the range we might get some better practice facilities out of it. For most courses, the putting and chipping greens are money pits.

I have always wondered how a nice practice facility that charged by the hour would do. No buckets of balls to buy, just check in when you enter and pay when you leave. Maybe even have a resident pro or two with no extra charge fro advice.

I understand the rule for people who show up to only use the practice facility for free and do not purchase any range balls. However there should be a very clear understanding that anyone who purchases a bucket of balls is free to use the short game area at their leisure.

A nearby golf course has a driving range that I frequent. I go there because they have decent balls that aren't dirty or beat up, have decent prices, but most of all because they have a good short game area. I normally go to the range and hit irons for a half hour or so, then head over to the short game area for another half hour, and then head back to hit a few more irons and then my driver.

I went out to the range today, hit my irons, then went to the short game area. I discovered a white line painted all the way around the green, with signs that said "Employees only past this point, no picking up balls, must use purchased range balls". This blew me away. I will usually bring my range balls with me, hit a few to get warmed up, then switch to my own balls. Obviously they react differently on the green.

This really blew me away, does anyone else find this to be a ridiculous policy, or is just me?

I'm guessing they have a good reason for this policy. I would approach the head professional and tell him/her you would like to use your balls in that area. Someone disrespected them in the past. Show some respect to the rule and ask about it in person. I know that would go a long way where I play and work part time. We have range rules, but we also like to work with people that we know well.

They previously had a sign that said "must purchase practice balls to use this facility", which makes sense. I think they are just trying to stop people from taking advantage of the system. I have sent an email to the owner. The problem I run into is it is the closest range to me, the best practice area I've found, the balls are not torn up and dirty, and it is competitively priced. There is a placed across town that is 35 a month for unlimited range balls, and it is attached to a par 3 course I could use for my short game practice. This would be my best deal, but it is 20-30 minutes away vs. 5.

Damon, it is Bramble Ridge, I don't play the course often, but it is a pretty good practice facility.

The rule makes sense, they want to make money. I still wouldn't pay to chip though.

Back