Unfair practice area policy?

As long as you are not using the short game area for free then the policy is a bit strict, if you are buying range balls then I don't know what their problem is.

Maybe the short game area should have a nominal cost per hour of use regardless of the balls you use.

What's sad is that the practice chipping/pitching areas bring potential customers to your golf course and they just push them away. Let someone come chip and putt for free. I guarantee they'll end up using that as their main range and perhaps even start golfing there, especially as you make some golfing buddies out there chipping and putting.

What's sad is that the practice chipping/pitching areas bring potential customers to your golf course and they just push them away. Let someone come chip and putt for free. I guarantee they'll end up using that as their main range and perhaps even start golfing there, especially as you make some golfing buddies out there chipping and putting.

I know that the short game area I frequent is the reason that I've played more rounds at that course than any other. You just don't find places like that everywhere. Sometimes I spend 10 dollars on balls, sometimes I play a round, and other times I go there and don't spend a dime.

I know that the short game area I frequent is the reason that I've played more rounds at that course than any other. You just don't find places like that everywhere. Sometimes I spend 10 dollars on balls, sometimes I play a round, and other times I go there and don't spend a dime.

I drive 25 minutes across Ash Vegas to go practice just b/c of the putting/chipping greens. It's not the closest but it's the best, and it's where I play the most too.

I drive 25 minutes across Ash Vegas to go practice just b/c of the putting/chipping greens. It's not the closest but it's the best, and it's where I play the most too.

That place is sick TC. I am on the hunt for a new practice area now. I need a better putting green.

That place is sick TC. I am on the hunt for a new practice area now. I need a better putting green.

Haha, just make sure they don't charge you to go out there and putt. You're a good putter, just quick. I think you should slow it down just a hair.

Haha, just make sure they don't charge you to go out there and putt. You're a good putter, just quick. I think you should slow it down just a hair.

That is what my brother-in-law says. I feel like the more I think about it, the more I end up missing it. I might try to slow down my routine down a little bit.

At my home course, where I often work, we have a driving range and two practice putting greens, one at the clubhouse and one at the 10th tee.

At the range, there is a area, closely mowed with a pin/flag out at 50 yards which is there to practice chipping/short game. Most people who hit into that target, do so with range balls that are sold by the bucket (small 35/40 balls - large 75/80 balls). We don't want people walking out into the range area while others are hitting for obvious reasons.
At the same time, if I were working and someone came in and asked if they could hit their own balls to this target, I would say, have fun, just be sure it is clear before you walk out to pick up your balls.

We also allow chipping/pitching into the practice greens within reason. If you do so from say less than 20/30 yards, it is doubtfull you will leave many, if any pitch marks. We only ask that you stop if someone else shows up and wants to practice putting.

Pretty simple rules. We have people all the time putting, chipping whatever, using their own balls. No problem there as long as it is done safely. At the same time, we have had people think it is ok and to wonder out and pick up range balls left out front of the range and re-use them. That is more or less cheating the system. We only charge $2 for a small bucket and $4 for a large, and no one cares if you top a couple that only go 10 feet and walk out, pick those up and re-hit them. I just hate the dishonest people who fill a bucket, hit them and then walk away never paying.

We never charge for anyone wanting to practice putting/chipping. Our 45 year PGA professional/owner is the kind of guy that loves to see people working on their game. We also do not charge jr's who are memebers for range balls.

Exactly, I used that range bc picture short game area. I dont love the course, you can play better for less in the area. I do however play the course about once a month simply because I am already there.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Exactly, I used that range bc picture short game area. I dont love the course, you can play better for less in the area. I do however play the course about once a month simply because I am already there.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

How worth it is it to you guys to have a good short game area? I go to a range where I get free balls but there's no short game area. If I nees short game practice I just use the course at my school.

How worth it is it to you guys to have a good short game area? I go to a range where I get free balls but there's no short game area. If I nees short game practice I just use the course at my school.

I have avoided ranges due to lack of a chipping area and/or putting green. Terribly inconvenient for me to go to different locations to practice. My new club has everything right there which is what I prefer.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Wow, never thought I would see this thread pop up again.

But the course did get rid of that craptaculous policy. I don't go to this range that much anymore, since I have two different ones that I have memberships to. But it is still the closest one to me, I go there when I am short on time or I want to use the short game area, since it is still my favorite short game area.

I'm not surprised they got rid of that rule. Althought I can understand why they did it..it never should have been down in the first place.

Though it is a crazy way to approach it for the reasons mentioned above, if a course is able to generate some revenue for practice other than the range we might get some better practice facilities out of it. For most courses, the putting and chipping greens are money pits.

I have always wondered how a nice practice facility that charged by the hour would do. No buckets of balls to buy, just check in when you enter and pay when you leave. Maybe even have a resident pro or two with no extra charge fro advice.

I agree wholeheartedly. The range should be able to make some money on the short game facility and the user should be allowed to practice in a way that leads to real game improvement. The pay by the hour solution seems like a fair one to both sides.
on the other hand a more enlightened approach by the course allowing short game areas to be free of charge generally would attract more people. Especially those who know enough to know that short game work will lower scores more than anything else.
I'm lucky enough to have the Stanford golf course closest to me and they do not charge for their short game areAs. I tend to spend the most time there but will eat at the clubhouse play rounds and spend coin enough that I don't feel like I've taken advantage of the "freebies". Requiring university affiliation to access it keeps it fairly empty even when the course is full so this is an added bonus.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.373529,-122.211856

Last edited:
I ran into this before here in the Dallas area. When I first bought my Scratch Wedges, I stopped at a range that I had not been to before, but passed on the way home all the time (The Practice Tee). I was really wanting to try out my wedges so I pulled into the parking lot, dropped a few balls down near the edge of the chipping green, which was right next to the parking lot, and started chipping some balls. in a matter of minutes, this dude comes jogging up to me telling me I had to buy a bucket of balls to use their chipping green. I didnt have time to hit an entire bucket, so I just left. I havent been back since.

Times are tough, I understand these guys just want to get all of the revinue they can now a days, but if that hadnt have happened, I might have become a good customer of theirs. Something about the way the dude came at me really turned me off though.

I ran into this before here in the Dallas area. When I first bought my Scratch Wedges, I stopped at a range that I had not been to before, but passed on the way home all the time (The Practice Tee). I was really wanting to try out my wedges so I pulled into the parking lot, dropped a few balls down near the edge of the chipping green, which was right next to the parking lot, and started chipping some balls. in a matter of minutes, this dude comes jogging up to me telling me I had to buy a bucket of balls to use their chipping green. I didnt have time to hit an entire bucket, so I just left. I havent been back since.

Times are tough, I understand these guys just want to get all of the revinue they can now a days, but if that hadnt have happened, I might have become a good customer of theirs. Something about the way the dude came at me really turned me off though.

That was their policy before changing it to the one in the OP, and it is once again their policy now. YOu have to purchase range balls or play a round to use the short game area, and that seems fair. I don't expect to use their short game area for free. But to tel me I can't use my own balls, I can't collect the balls I chip with, and I have to chip onto a green so covered with balls I can't figure out where my ball would have ended up, seems a bit unrealistic. I guess other people agreed because it got changed.

Back