Citizen's rock very high quality. I was in the market for a watch a few years back and a radio talkshow just happened to be talking about watches, everyone was talking Tags, Brietling's (pretty sure I spelled that wrong) Roleex etc...

Then a jeweler called in and said if you wanted a really good watch without spending a boatload to get a Citizen, he said the movement/guts whatever in a Citizen were every bit as good as the others and he used a Citizen. He was so adamant he sold me.

The Titanium Eco-Drives are great, never need a battery and so light you don't even know they are there

You may want to look into that a little more. There are some very different types of movements out there and Citizen has been known for their Eco movement and a Quartz movement. That is not really the same as an ETA movement and a few other high quality movements that are 24 jewel found in the others you mentioned. Nothing bad about them mind you, but speak with most watch experts and they would strongly disagree with your statement.

a6898dc6-ca9d-36d5.jpg

Love my movado- 30th bday present from the girlfriends

a6898dc6-ca9d-36d5.jpg

Love my movado- 30th bday present from the girlfriends

Ok, nice watch.,.but while driving at 65, taking picture and typing. Just say no!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, nice watch.,.but while driving at 65, taking picture and typing. Just say no!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look closer...I think he is going 85.

It was tapatalk! And she's on autopilot

You may want to look into that a little more. There are some very different types of movements out there and Citizen has been known for their Eco movement and a Quartz movement. That is not really the same as an ETA movement and a few other high quality movements that are 24 jewel found in the others you mentioned. Nothing bad about them mind you, but speak with most watch experts and they would strongly disagree with your statement.

JB, forgive me, but I am very much a novice to the world of watches. What is the difference between the movements you listed. I understand it has something to do with the innards but beyond that, I am clueless.

JB, forgive me, but I am very much a novice to the world of watches. What is the difference between the movements you listed. I understand it has something to do with the innards but beyond that, I am clueless.

Im not the right person to ask, but the inside of watch is what makes a watch for most people outside of style. Swiss ETA movements, jeweled movements, there are many choices and it is what many believe (outside supply and demand) set watches apart.

Sure the watch expert that is trying to sell you the $10k Swiss watch would say that. I would say the Citizen will keep just as good time a a Tag or Rolex. If you're into impressing people with 24 jewel movements than I guess you should drop the extra K's

Sure the watch expert that is trying to sell you the $10k Swiss watch would say that. I would say the Citizen will keep just as good time a a Tag or Rolex. If you're into impressing people with 24 jewel movements than I guess you should drop the extra K's

If that is the measure, then I guess the digital watch that came with a happy meal is as good too.

One of these days I'll go with one of these.
images

So it is a prestige thing? I read somewhere that mechanical watches last several lifetimes, is this true?

If that is the measure, then I guess the digital watch that came with a happy meal is as good too.

Two things that perform the same but one is better because it is more expensive... Hmm sounds familiar...

So it is a prestige thing? I read somewhere that mechanical watches last several lifetimes, is this true?

For some maybe. Others like certain movements and stand by them. The ETA movement is considered by many to be one of if not hte best ever created. For some its no different than art or anything else.

You plan on taking it with you? :D :D :D

With the proper maintenance and upkeep they'll last a very long time.

Two things that perform the same but one is better because it is more expensive... Hmm sounds familiar...

According to who?
I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that a true ETA movement at its highest level is better than an ECO-Drive movement. Will they both tell time? Sure. So does my cell phone. But they are not created equally. A Lexus and Pinto might both get me to the store, but dont tell me that they are the same and the only difference is cost.

For some maybe. Others like certain movements and stand by them. The ETA movement is considered by many to be one of if not hte best ever created. For some its no different than art or anything else.

In terms of accuracy or just plain durability?

I don't wear watches, but if I did I would have to go forged. Just think of the buttery time and the workability it would offer.

According to who?
I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that a true ETA movement at its highest level is better than an ECO-Drive movement. Will they both tell time? Sure. So does my cell phone. But they are not created equally. A Lexus and Pinto might both get me to the store, but dont tell me that they are the same and the only difference is cost.

But I would expect the Lexus to perform better in every aspect over the Pinto, acceleration, handling, braking, not bursting into flames etc... A watches main function is to tell time so if they both keep the same time (perform the same)what does that ETA movement buy you? Other than trying to impress people by telling them you have a 24 Jewel ETA movement?

But I would expect the Lexus to perform better in every aspect over the Pinto, acceleration, handling, braking, not bursting into flames etc... A watches main function is to tell time so if they both keep the same time (perform the same)what does that ETA movement buy you? Other than trying to impress people by telling them you have a 24 Jewel ETA movement?

Watches are pieces of art when you start dealing with fine watches. Many people are not into the idea of collecting expensive art, watches, and other various items, but others are. To each his own.

If the watches main focus is merely to tell time, then I would say everybody should have a digital watch. Others like it as an accessory and want the smoothest movement and things that only certain movements can offer. Just because these things do not have interest to you, does not mean they dont interest some. Its no different than features in cars. Some like certain features that others dont find they need. However what is under the hood, is in fact a better made movement. Stronger, more durable, more accurate (over time), are all features that high end movements offer than most others cannot compete with.

I find it so ironic that you said you bought a Citizen because you heard the movement was as good as others. If the movement does not matter, why listen to that advice at all? Why care at all? The movement is what separates watches and a good movement can last generations.

For the record, a good movement such as an ETA, is not only available in extremely high end watches. It just so happens that most high end feature great movements.

For the record there are many different ETA movements. Some are lexus priced and some are pinto priced. Just about every swiss watch out there uses them. The beauty of the higher end ETA movement is that they are powered by your body movements (automatic). Would you pay more for a lexus that never required gas and kept on running for years? Most of the time decades. The other beauty with higher end watches is that they function as jewelry. I despise all types of jewelry on men except for watches. A nice watch tells a lot about a person. That being said, I wear really nice watches (3-4k+) and 45.00 casio's. Just depends on the occasion.

I love watches, I can't afford really nice ones. But would love to get one, some day;)

Back