Webb Simpson - POY?

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
Let's assume that Webb wins the Fedex Cup. Would he be the overwhelming favorite for POY?

I'm torn on the subject. What do you think?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

You can make the case for him. Especially with who won majors this year. You can make the case for quite a few guys and it is a tough one this year.

I think there's a few that could be thrown into the ring with a win in these last two events. Luke? DJ? Bubba? Bradley?

Too early to tell for me. But he's surely a candidate.

His numbers are pretty darn solid..

- 19/22 cuts made
- 17 top 25 finishes
- 9 top 10 finishes
- 2 second places finishes
- 2 wins

Yeah, I'd say that's pretty darn impressive.

I say keegan has a good shot also, 2 wins with one being a major. If Webb did win it would be deserved

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

If Webb wins the FedEx, then yes I see him taking it. We were hyping Keegan pretty good a few weeks ago but missing the cut in a playoff event is not good. Several names that you could throw up there this year. What if DJ wins again and takes the FedEx cup? Would he then be POY?

I think there's a few that could be thrown into the ring with a win in these last two events. Luke? DJ? Bubba? Bradley?

Too early to tell for me. But he's surely a candidate.

Could DJ really be a candidate? And Bubba?
I thnk Luke could, although if my memory is correct, he only has one win here.
Keegan could be, but winning ROY, wont let him win this one.
Its a tough one, but I would have to think Webb is the front runner if he wins the Fedex.

I know Luke DOnald hasnt won a major but that guy has had a strong year.

Its a tough one, but I would have to think Webb is the front runner if he wins the Fedex.

I think if DJ wins the FedEx, he takes it. Already won the Barclay's and to win the FedEx he will need another win (defending champ at BMW so that does not hurt his chances).

With all the talk of 'can't be number 1 with no major' in some quarters, I don't see how he can beat Keegan to it.

2 wins with one being a major > 2 or even 3 wins & Fed Ex Cup in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's certainly a contender. Sure, he's had a really hot streak recently but even up to now he has been rocksteady all year. He and Luke Donald are just crazy consistent and while neither is my favorite player to watch, one of them would probably get my vote for PotY.

I know Luke DOnald hasnt won a major but that guy has had a strong year.

I agree he had a great year. But a lot of that year was on a different tour. He has only 1 win on the PGA Tour this year and I am not sure with multiple winners out there (some really good ones), you could give it to a guy with one win, could you?

That's why I said with a win in these last two tournaments could vault these four into that spot without question. Bradley needs another win if he wants to take ROY and POY.

I agree he had a great year. But a lot of that year was on a different tour. He has only 1 win on the PGA Tour this year and I am not sure with multiple winners out there (some really good ones), you could give it to a guy with one win, could you?

This is going to sound snarky and I really don't mean for it to....but does quantity equal quality?

Statistically Luke has been on par (get it...on par! Oh puns!) with Webb. Multiple wins are great, but do missed cuts and low finishes not detract from that? This is a real question because I have no idea how PotY is calculated.

when you put it that way I would agree with you. I just go by what I see, so 11 top tens got my attentions. Going off stats, I would say Webb Simpson is on top. I also think Watney should be considered #2

I agree with JB, you could make a case for a lot of people, BUT in your post you assumed he won the Fedex Cup, if that's the case, then I think it's a no brainer. Think about it, he has now won twice this year...it could have easily been 3 times because he lost in a playoff to Bubba at New Orleans, he was second at Transition. That's pretty strong, plus to win the Fedex cup, we would need to assume pretty solid finishes at the BMW and the Tour Championship...given all that...I would think he was a shoe in for POY.

This is going to sound snarky and I really don't mean for it to....but does quantity equal quality?

Statistically Luke has been on par (get it...on par! Oh puns!) with Webb. Multiple wins are great, but do missed cuts and low finishes not detract from that? This is a real question because I have no idea how PotY is calculated.

Wins are still the driving force for the most part though. Luke had a great year, no question about it. But he has only played in 16 events (going off memory) and has but 1 win. If it were a year when other guys were not having equal or better years, I would say it would not matter much, but to have Webb and Bradley both there and both with multiple wins it would be hard to go another way. However "strange" things happen here. To me if someone like Luke wins it (without winning anymore tournies), it would be downright wrong when Bradley has 2 wins and a major. But thats just me.

I say keegan has a good shot also, 2 wins with one being a major. If Webb did win it would be deserved

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

Keegan will be Rookie of the Year.....0% chance the give him both.

His numbers are pretty darn solid..

- 19/22 cuts made
- 17 top 25 finishes
- 9 top 10 finishes
- 2 second places finishes
- 2 wins

I think Luke's numbers are great too, after everyone noted him. Seems like his inability to gets wins has cost him a bit of fanfare but he's every bit as solid..

- 14/16 cuts made
- 13 top 25 finishes
- 11 top 10 finishes
- 1 3rd place finish
- 2 2nd place finishes
- 1 win

Wins are still the driving force for the most part though. Luke had a great year, no question about it. But he has only played in 16 events (going off memory) and has but 1 win. If it were a year when other guys were not having equal or better years, I would say it would not matter much, but to have Webb and Bradley both there and both with multiple wins it would be hard to go another way. However "strange" things happen here. To me if someone like Luke wins it (without winning anymore tournies), it would be downright wrong when Bradley has 2 wins and a major. But thats just me.

Well that changes things, then. If wins are weighed more heavily than overall statistics, then you're right on with what you've said.

I agree entirely! But if Luke wins late and wins the fedex, it's a no brainer.

He is openly supporting two tours and is 4th in cup points in only 16 events. That's unbelievable.

Tiger Woods.
That is all.

Right now I feel that Keegan Bradley should win POY, but as JB said earlier, he won't because he's an absolute lock for Rookie of the Year and he won't win both. Of course if he were to win one of the last 2 events and get really high on the final FedEx Cup standing list he'd almost have to win both. If Webb Simpson goes on to win the FedEx Cup yes you'd have to give him POY in my opinion. Nobody else really stands out as someone who should win it, if Bubba wouldn't have pissed the win down his leg last weekend he might have had a stranglehold on it. I think if one of the 2 win guys gets a win and ultimately locked up the FedEx Cup they'll be the POY this year. I'm rooting for Keegan Bradley to do it, I'd love to see ROY and POY for the same guy.

Back