Webb Simpson - POY?

I don't think that there's been a standout this year regardless of multiple majors or not. Nobody's been really consistant. It definately depends on who wins the FedEx Cup, but right now I think my pick is DJ.

Why DJ? He's won once, in a rain shortened tournament. He was hardly impressive the rest of the year.

My point is that it has been 3 years since it last happened. Are you saying we have been without a dominate player for 3 years?

Yes. I think we certainly have. Some could argue about 2009...maybe, but certainly not 2010 and 2011.

Yes. I think we certainly have. Some could argue about 2009...maybe, but certainly not 2010 and 2011.

We've been without a dominate player? In 2009 Tiger won something like 5 times, no majors, but still often. Last year we were without a dominate player, Jim Furyk was close, but not quite. DJ last year had a chance to do something special, but shat the bed. This year we have seen how good the Nationwide Tour actually is with the kind of rookies it has produced. Can we give POY to tht NW Tour?

I think Simpson is definitely a contender, but I think Bradley's two wins (with one being a major) should tip the hat towards him. Just because Bradley is a lock for ROY doesn't mean he will not get POY. They may just decide to give the ROY to someone else. Likewise, Webb Simpson probably is a decent bet for Most Improved (the "Stricker" award), but that doesn't mean it would automatically take him out of contention for POY.

I also think Watney is a contender for POY. Although his wins were not majors, they were pretty tough tourneys with big-name fields (one being a WGC event).

Really? Correct me if I am wrong, but he is winless right? I mean to me that is like saying we should be talking about Fowler as well. Or heck, why not discuss Phil here, or anybody else that has 1 win. How about Charl? He won a major. Great year no doubt, but POY? No way. Not to me anyway.
It's funny, I don't know who it was on Morning Drive, but Charl's name was thrown in the hat. I don't think he is sniffing POY unless he somehow pulls out the FedEx Cup. So many better options than him at the moment.

wow, before this week I'd have said Webb had a good year as he managed a win. Looking at his stats, he's been sneaky consistent in there too! Excellent year, and a very solid shout for POTY.

It's down to the last 2 events. I think Webb, Luke, or Keegan can take the title without winning either. Depending on who wins the events.
Bradley has hurt his chances at POY and quite frankly the President's Cup wild card spot...because he has missed the cut in the first two FedEx Cup events.

Seems like he has checked out for the year and is happy with the way it's gone. Nothing wrong with that, just disappointing he isn't finishing as strong as I had hoped or thought he might. It will be interesting to see how the next two events go for him.

Bradley has hurt his chances at POY and quite frankly the President's Cup wild card spot...because he has missed the cut in the first two FedEx Cup events.

Seems like he has checked out for the year and is happy with the way it's gone. Nothing wrong with that, just disappointing he isn't finishing as strong as I had hoped or thought he might. It will be interesting to see how the next two events go for him.

I'd agree with this. I don't think it's a slight on him to say he's fizzled out a little, as it's been an enormous rookie season for him to take in! The fact that he bounced after one win to claim a major is actually astounding.

My point is that it has been 3 years since it last happened. Are you saying we have been without a dominate player for 3 years?

Pretty much. I am not saying you have to win multiple majors to be considered dominant, but do you really feel we have seen anything dominant recently. I don't.

should be interesting to see who wins the last 2 legs of the FedEx cup. if Simpson wins another event, he'll be a favorite for POY but if he doesn't, Bradley still has the edge. I think Simpson's numbers for the year are quite solid also with the no of Top 25 and Top 10. I'm just happy to watch good golf.

I think Webb has a great case for PotY. He has risen from what like somewhere in the 200's WGR to top 20, pretty metoric rise if you ask me. His year hasn't been sexy for the most part, yet solid golf shouldn't punish or disable him from an award. They guy has just gone out week after week and played at a pretty high level. His not being in the Master's shouldn't discount him either, if that tourney is so important then tell me why Charl, Day, and Scott aren't getting more pub for PotY.

That all said, depending on who has the better final two events between Donald (who can still win money titles on both tours, pretty amazing considering the amount he's played on both tours), Watney, and Simpson should win it.

If he were to win the FedEx, most def. I also think if any of the guys with Multiple wins takes the FedEx they will win the POY

Let's assume that Webb wins the Fedex Cup. Would he be the overwhelming favorite for POY?

I'm torn on the subject. What do you think?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

So many IF's.

There are a bunch of guys who deserve POTY if they win fed ex cup.

If Webb wins, he wins POTY
If Luke wins, he wins POTY
If Nick wins, he wins POTY

Still two events left and a winner to still be decided before POTY is determined.

I thought the same exact thing about Darren Clarke especially after his abysmal showing at the PGA Championships.

So many IF's.

There are a bunch of guys who deserve POTY if they win fed ex cup.

If Webb wins, he wins POTY
If Luke wins, he wins POTY
If Nick wins, he wins POTY

Still two events left and a winner to still be decided before POTY is determined.

I kind of agree with these. He is for sure in the running, but it just depends on what happens from here.

Yes, yes and yes. Webb has played the most consistent golf this year maybe next to Luke Donald. He would be my vote.

It's a 2 horse race between Simpson and Donald for me. Donald would have to win the Fedex to overtake Simpson

Nah. I equate POY to MVP in football, basketball, etc. Not sure why but I do. Based on that I gotta say Day, Donald, or Watney. If forced to pick I say Tiger...oops.

So many great stories this year I really can't pick a single guy. Simpson would not be my pick. Guys that have been there all year and relevant on Sunday deserve the honor. L Donald fits the bill and if he gets it hard to argue the choice. This assuming a strong showing to finish the year.

Nah. I equate POY to MVP in football, basketball, etc. Not sure why but I do. Based on that I gotta say Day, Donald, or Watney. If forced to pick I say Tiger...oops.

So many great stories this year I really can't pick a single guy. Simpson would not be my pick. Guys that have been there all year and relevant on Sunday deserve the honor. L Donald fits the bill and if he gets it hard to argue the choice. This assuming a strong showing to finish the year.

What has Day done to deserve POTY?

He has had a strong year, but nothing that's deserving of POTY.

We've been without a dominate player? In 2009 Tiger won something like 5 times, no majors, but still often. Last year we were without a dominate player, Jim Furyk was close, but not quite. DJ last year had a chance to do something special, but shat the bed. This year we have seen how good the Nationwide Tour actually is with the kind of rookies it has produced. Can we give POY to tht NW Tour?

You seem to have made JB's point blu:D

Back