What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

I finally got to try the Srixon Z-Star and the Z-Star XV. I have heard so many great things about them but neither one worked for my game. For some reason the driver side spin was terrible and every drive turned into a huge ballooning slice. The slice was so bad and so consistent I thought maybe it was me and not the ball but as soon as I switch back to the ProV1X I had beautiful straight and long drives and when I tried the Z-Star XV again it promptly ended up out of bounds. Definitely not a ball for me.

I have been playing the XV pretty consistently for about 6 weeks now. Really like the ball.

I bought a sleeve of the new Pro V1x last weekend and absolutely loved it! The spin on approach shots was perfect. Almost every shot stopped within 2 feet of the mark. I switched back to the XV during the same round. On the green, some shots released 5 feet and some spun back 10 feet. It was good but not nearly as consistent.

I was really impressed with the consistency the Pro V1x had on the green. Unfortunately I can't spend $50 on a dozen balls so I'll probably only play them when it counts

Sent from The Galaxy Note 2

I take it back. I think I am going to play the MaxFli Fire. (I was given a dozen and have only used them once)

I did use these, and I liked them a lot better than the first time I used them. May keep them in play for a round or two.

Played with 2 Callaway Hex Blacks that I found and really enjoyed them will be looking to try them again.

Played the Callaway Hex Hot Pro today, I was a little bit nervous about them stopping on the greens today versus my normal Hex Chromes but they were pretty dang good for me today around the greens and on approach shots. They also were freaking awesome off the driver, they seemed to fly pretty low but they ran out forever. Might be my new gamer, by that I mean probably will be. I will also say the preformed better than the Q Star for me as an all purpose ball.

Last round, I played a Callaway HEX control. Think that is the same as HEX Hot but it is sold at Costco under the control name. All round good ball.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Last round, I played a Callaway HEX control. Think that is the same as HEX Hot but it is sold at Costco under the control name. All round good ball.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I wish there was a Costco was close to me. I hear Callaway puts some really good balls out at Costco that can only be bought there.

Nike 20XI. The pro shop at my local course had them for $20 a dozen so I thought why not give them a try. I don't normally play premium balls other than ones I find.

I'm impressed. I've never been one to spin a ball back much but I can get this to come back about a yard from the ball mark, or at worst stop about a yard in front of it. I've had trouble keeping the Gamer from rolling off the back of the green.

Last weekend I picked up a dozen e6's to try, as I like the Callaway Hex Chrome + ball but wanted to give something else go with the upcoming cold weather. First thing I noticed was the e6 feels soft, much softer than the Callaway. Side spin seemed to be reduced as well on the e6, but the same can be said for backspin which can good or bad but hurt my round since being above the pin is no-no at my course (I generally spin full wedges 10-20 feet as our greens tilt back to front so it can be beneficial in the long run). Negatives about the ball were chipping (lack of ability to spin ball on firm/fast greens), and I lost a good 10 yards with the driver compared to the Callaway which I did not expect. I did hit 8 of 11 fairways, which is unusually high for me

I bought some Nike One Tour D balls. I liked them initially. But they had a ton of side spin off my driver. I also didn't care for the sound they produced on most shots. Recently went back to ProV1s and couldn't be happier. I'd lost distance with the Nike One Tour balls. I got my distance back. My drives are straighter. And I simply love the sound of my shots.

E6 then 330-rx.

I like the E6 better from the tee and on any full shot and even putting.
But touch shots inside 45 yards the ball is tough for me to stop.

Any low compression no side spin but a soft enough cover to check on a chip balls out there? Delivered via magical unicorn if possible.

E6 then 330-rx.

I like the E6 better from the tee and on any full shot and even putting.
But touch shots inside 45 yards the ball is tough for me to stop.

Any low compression no side spin but a soft enough cover to check on a chip balls out there? Delivered via magical unicorn if possible.

The closest I've found to this is the TaylorMade Penta TP3 (which are now the RocketBallz essentially). I find it can be tough to get to check up on really quick greens though, but performs well on your average green. Hex Black & Chrome are also pretty good combos of straight off the tee and soft feeling too, but are quite a bit pricier.

The closest I've found to this is the TaylorMade Penta TP3 (which are now the RocketBallz essentially). I find it can be tough to get to check up on really quick greens though, but performs well on your average green. Hex Black & Chrome are also pretty good combos of straight off the tee and soft feeling too, but are quite a bit pricier.

Don't take my word for it, Golf Digest has done all the work we need here: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2013-06/hotlist-golf-balls?slide=2#intro

Played the U/6 today...it was ok...it didn't feel great with the putter...more like a rock than a premium ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Callaway HX Diablo Tour. Thoughts - I'll miss them when they're all gone (I bought 2 dozen and down to my last few).

Today's thought - my friend's Hex Chrome was stopping a foot from its pitch mark from 60m whereas my HX Diablo Tour was maybe 5-6 feet from its pitch mark. Gotta try those Chrome one day :)

I continue to have very good results with the 2013 Srixon Q-Star Yellow. Great launch, straight, holds greens and comes off the putter the same every time. Great ball!

JM

Played the Bridgestone 330RX during the Vegas event and was reminded how much I like this ball. It's going to stay in my bag for a while.

Played the 2013 Q-Star yesterday, freaking love this ball.

I will have to tell the back story to this one. After not playing for around a month I got to play a two ball competition in my local club. I was terrible and had lost most of my balls by the 7th, where our pro shop is. I went in and bought a box of taylormade burners, but thinking that was perhaps not going to be enough so I bought 3 lakeballs, a titleist and 2 wilson maximums. I tee off on the 8th with the Wilson ball so I don't lose any more good balls before I warm up. I actually start to play better and don't lose any more that round.

Two weeks later and I am playing again this time in a singles comp at my course. I fetch the wilson ball thinking I would still be rusty and would lose it pretty quick but the opposite happens. I play fairly well and par the first. I end up being 12 over for the front 9, including 2 triple bogeys. Not great but not terrible. Then the back 9 I tear it up. Start with 3 pars. And end up finishing the back 9 only 4 over par. Still with the wilson ball. I ended up 2 shots off winning the comp, but I won the 18 plus handicap section.
Now, the ball was good. I couldn't tell the difference between it and a pro v1, or taylormade penta tp3 or tp5, all of which i have gamed before. This ball however lasted 29 holes! when playing the pro v1 they lasted 9 at the most. I'm not saying they are a better ball, or that I will be buying a lifetime supply of them, maybe we are thinking too much about the ball instead of just hitting it!

I played a ball I'm not allowed to talk about. It's the best ball I've ever used.

#ImWithChad

I played the Bridgestone Tour B330-S for the Vegas event. It was a solid ball overall but I was not blown away by it. I normally play the Chrome + or HBT. I felt the bridgestone was a touch shorter. It had good feel, especially off the putter but the ball just did not blow me away. I will play out the remaining 4 I have and see what I feel about it.

I played a ball I'm not allowed to talk about. It's the best ball I've ever used.

#ImWithChad

Oh go on, you sort of just did...

Today's thought - my friend's Hex Chrome was stopping a foot from its pitch mark from 60m whereas my HX Diablo Tour was maybe 5-6 feet from its pitch mark. Gotta try those Chrome one day :)

I played the HEX Chrome today...used the same three balls all round and only sacrificed one to the golf gods. I was very impressed, they had excellent stop, with a few times on some strong pitches from 70 yards and in with both my 56 and 60 degree wedges I actually had enough spin to back the ball up a couple of feet. The overall distance was good and the putting feel was nice and soft.
I like these much more than the HEX Black Tour I played earlier in the summer. The Chromes were very durable, just because I managed to play the same sleeve all round does not mean I wasn't ever in the woods or off less than stellar lies...I cut three Blacks with wedges after 3 holes...the two Chromes from the sleeve today still have some game in them.
These will give the Titleist NXT Tour S a serious run for the top ball in my bag. I just hope Callaway continues to make them.

Played two balls off the tee today, thanks to an empty course, the Pro-V1 and the Bridgestone e6. I think for my game, the e6 is a bit more forgiving, and while it doesn't spin quite as much, I was able to launch it higher with my shorter irons and get just as much stick into the greens as the Titleist. The only times I noticed a difference was within, say, 50 yards, where I was able to get a little bit more check out of pitches from the Pro-V1 than the e6.

Just played a 20x1s nike. Very ordinary, imo. At least one club shorter in the irons and 10-15m in the driver. Cally, tm and titleist premium balls much better for distance.

Back