What is a "Winter Wonderland"

I have never went jogging in a real blizzard before... until now!

I have never went jogging in a real blizzard before... until now!

So I did my jog in all my ski gear, goggles and all. Surprisingly, I saw at least 5 other joggers. I say "at least" because visibility was so bad that I couldn't be sure. Waves on lake Michigan were massive. They had to close lake shore drive down because the water was crashing onto the hwy and freezing, making it like an ice skating ring. The waves on the lake were much bigger than I ever saw at the wedge in CA.

News have said that people on Lake shore drive have been stuck for 5+ hours because they can't move in their vehicles. My wife and I live ver close to lake shore drive, so we are bringing hot cocoa down there to see if any one could use it. We are going to wear our mountain winter hiking gear.

Nice of you to do that! Now just hope it doesn't freeze before they get it. Lol

Oh and take some pictures of those waves if you can! Be cool to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

News have said that people on Lake shore drive have been stuck for 5+ hours because they can't move in their vehicles. My wife and I live ver close to lake shore drive, so we are bringing hot cocoa down there to see if any one could use it. We are going to wear our mountain winter hiking gear.

Awesome stuff interlooper!

Great job interlooper!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

It's not a wonderland on I-70, it's closed right now. They were doing a report form I-70 at Noland Road. They say it's closed until further notice!

Went out in the blizzard for some fun and to see what was going on on lake shore drive etc. Didn't make it far before I could be of use. Ran into a homeless man sleeping under an awning about 2 blocks from my place; a snow drift had started to build around him. I asked him if he was warm and he said he was. He appreciated the hot chocolate though. Within a block from there, I found a guy stuck in his car on a side road. He had a baby in the back. Spent 20 minutes digging him out. Finally made it to lake shore drive. Numerous cars just sitting there; many of them had turned off their cars to save on gas. Many people there though with gas cans, etc. Talked to a guy who said he had only made it about 2 miles in about 6 hours. Although I was only about 1000 feet or so from the lake, I couldn't even see the waves. I could hear them but couldn't see; the snow and wind were too strong.
Winter2.jpg

I thought just occurred to me as I look out my window, seeing the 6 inches of snow that has fallen since last night; what constitutes a "Winter Wonderland"? Is there such a place? Sure a little snow makes everything clean and white, but get enough of it and it becomes a real pain in the butt. So it begs the question: what is a Winter Wonderland?

Winter Wonderland = Kona Hawaii and me there in less than 2 weeks !!

I just saw on the news where places like Chicago were hit extremely hard with the snow storm. Man I am feeling so bad for you guys having to put up with this crap! There were cars stranded all up & down the highways. Tractor trailer trucks stranded. Ice every fricking where on the roads, driveways, etc. Power outages and just plain scary stuff. My prayers go to you folks up North and I hope you get a break sooner than later. You certainly deserve one .

I just saw on the news where places like Chicago were hit extremely hard with the snow storm. Man I am feeling so bad for you guys having to put up with this crap! There were cars stranded all up & down the highways. Tractor trailer trucks stranded. Ice every fricking where on the roads, driveways, etc. Power outages and just plain scary stuff. My prayers go to you folks up North and I hope you get a break sooner than later. You certainly deserve one .

We were hit very hard, and I have seen first-hand those things you speak of on Lake Shore Drive. Hundreds upon hundreds of people were stranded on the highway last night. Many of them were stuck in their cars for 12-16 hours before being rescued. My wife and I went out there last night to check it out and lend a helping hand. I went back at 4 pm today (hours after the blizzard had gone) and hundreds of cars were still stranded in the middle of Lake Shore Drive. It will be much longer before it is reopened.

Below are some pics of snow near my place. Chicago officially got 20.5 inches, but because my neighborhood is so close to the lake, my neighborhood was estimated at 24-25 inches. Indeed, I saw drifts as high as 5-6ft.

1winter.jpg

2winter.jpg

Just read your earlier post, interlooper. That's good stuff man and I'm proud of you. We got hit nasty over here too, but no Lakeshore Dr debacles.

We were hit very hard, and I have seen first-hand those things you speak of on Lake Shore Drive. Hundreds upon hundreds of people were stranded on the highway last night. Many of them were stuck in their cars for 12-16 hours before being rescued. My wife and I went out there last night to check it out and lend a helping hand. I went back at 4 pm today (hours after the blizzard had gone) and hundreds of cars were still stranded in the middle of Lake Shore Drive. It will be much longer before it is reopened.

Below are some pics of snow near my place. Chicago officially got 20.5 inches, but because my neighborhood is so close to the lake, my neighborhood was estimated at 24-25 inches. Indeed, I saw drifts as high as 5-6ft.

1winter.jpg

2winter.jpg

You and your wife are heros man! Congrats to ya for helping your neighbors and fellow Chicago brothers/sisters out. :clapp:... I know folks like you and the wife don't seek recognition but in this case you getting it. Proud of ya bro! I hope things get much better but from the look of those pics, it will be quite some time before all that snow melts.

Hawk - We are with ya to good buddy! I could not in my wildest dreams imagine what you all are going through. Take care and be careful!

Talked to my parents while driving home today who live downtown Chicago. They said it's nasty there. Calling for -1 tomorrow morning and that's not counting the wind chill. Friday wasn't looking much better. I think they're ready to move back to Texas already. But then again it's not much warmer in Dallas right now.

Tapatalk: not just for staffers.

You and your wife are heros man! Congrats to ya for helping your neighbors and fellow Chicago brothers/sisters out. :clapp:... I know folks like you and the wife don't seek recognition but in this case you getting it. Proud of ya bro! I hope things get much better but from the look of those pics, it will be quite some time before all that snow melts.

Hawk - We are with ya to good buddy! I could not in my wildest dreams imagine what you all are going through. Take care and be careful!

Nah man. This is one of the greatest things about Chicago. When things like this happen, the residents of the city look out for each other. It is sometimes tough to live in the city, especially for those with families. We rely on each other during the tough times. This blizzard is one of those times where Chicagoans recognize that they are not "tourists", but are "citizens" who care about the people they live around. I love that dynamic here!

Talked to my parents while driving home today who live downtown Chicago. They said it's nasty there. Calling for -1 tomorrow morning and that's not counting the wind chill. Friday wasn't looking much better. I think they're ready to move back to Texas already. But then again it's not much warmer in Dallas right now.

Tapatalk: not just for staffers.

Mind me asking what neighborhood? Let me know if you ever come down to visit them and have time for a beer or something.

Took a few more pictures with my phone this morning after it stopped snowing.

IMG_0740.jpg

Dogs went crazy out there (all the foot prints)
IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

3 labs (3rd one you can barely see just around the corner, they went crazy in the snow)
IMG_0744.jpg

Our little schnauzer was the craziest one of all. He is really fast and just took off out the door and ran around every where, took me a while to catch him, he loved the snow.

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

I had one more of him, but as soon as I took the picture he decided to go number 2, so dont think that would be forum appropriate lol

So our Chicago blizzard has officially turned from a winter wonderland to a winter hell. The bulk of the snow came a week ago. It just happened to be on the same day that our block's trash is typically picked up. However, they never picked it up due to the blizzard, and still cannot get through our alley due to the snow. So it has been approximately two weeks since our block's trash was taken. They had dropped off extra trash bins, but it hasn't been enough. Thank god Chicago has alleys for our trash and garages and everything. I went back there this morning and I could have sworn that I was on the set for "slum dog millionaire" or something.

It snowed again here. Only a couple of inches, but the streets were frozen very badly. Of course the sun cam out and melted it, so I have school tomorrow. Hate the sun now.

Back