What is too much golf?

Play as much as you want. I catch flack about playing a lot but most guys are jealous of how much I can play but I'm also single and don't have a ton of responsibilities and my job allows me to have plenty of time to golf. I'm worried about how this will change if I ever got married and had kids but I'm sure I could make it work.

I'm not even married yet, just shacked up, but i get sh*t all the time,for picking golf, over mowing the lawn

Cutting the grass is overrated. Golf as much as you want dude. It's your life and you're doing something you love, there's no such thing as 'too much'!!

I'm retired so I can play as much as I want however I found last week too much can hurt your game. The week before my club championship I played Monday through Friday with three days playing more than eighteen. Saturday in the tournament I did shoot my PO of 73. Sunday I was warn to a frizzle both physically and mentally. It showed with a score of 100! Playing often is ok however you must listen to your body or you will pay the price. Especially if you're a senior golfer :beat-up:

We've had a number of posts such as this one with the addicted/obsessed theme and my question is, So what if we are? There are far more destructive things to be hooked on. I readly admit that i have the game on my mind 24/7. I read golf books, reading is good. I watch golf on TV, everybody watches TV and have you seen some of the crap that's on nowadays. I play twice a week and am home by noon on Saturday and Sunday. Kids are happy, they get to sleep in and my wife knows i'm getting some exercise and working out my weekday frustrations. They always know what to get me for birthday, christmas and fathers day presents so that relieves their stress. I dont have time for other vices. I think about my last round of golf to relax my mind as i fall asleep each night, sleep is healthy. When the Tour is at Doral I take my wife or kids or both, that's quality time in the fresh air. I think our families, significant others and children should thank us, and encourage us to play and get involved as much as possible.

It's a fine line for me. I'm lucky to play as much as I do and travel as much as I do for a guy with a 2 year old. I have to tread carefully sometimes to keep the peace so I can still play without getting hassled.

I have played 5 rounds all year, only 3 on the weekends and that is too much golf for my wife. Heck I can not even play on father's day. Take advantage of it, you never know when it can be taken away.

I'm not even married yet, just shacked up, but i get sh*t all the time,for picking golf, over mowing the lawn

Practice that swing in the lawn and eventually you have to worry about there being grass!

No such thing, imo.

My girlfriend thinks me playing 18 Friday (we took the day off, I'm going golfing and she can do whatever she wants...shop?), and then 18 again on Saturday this week is too much. I told her she is going to need to get used to it, because it isn't going to change.

I ran into this issue at home as well. I'm 39, married (14 years), and two great kids (5 & 2). I always make it a point to NOT let golf interfere with my family in any way. Here's what I do in order to pull it off:

1. I hit balls just about every day over lunch hour.
2. If I'm going to play on the weekends (non tournament) I get to the course around 5:00 am. Get loose and as soon as I can see 250 yards down the fairway I tee it up. This works for me, might not work for everyone.
3. When I win money in a tournament I take the family out for a nice dinner and give the wife some spending money. Case in point, a couple of weeks ago I played very well in a tournament and when I got home I gave the wife $100 to do with what she wanted.
4. I've gotten my kids involved with the game.
5. No matter what, I NEVER give my wife the opportunity to say, "you missed this or that because of golf."

So far so good, but if it were up to me I'd be on the course from sun up to sun down. And I'd have a house on the course so I could get back out there the next day asap.

However, you should know this: there are a few exceptions to the rule that I'm about to share with you but for the most part it is the gospel truth in my opinon. Women will hurt your golf game. Its just a fact of life. Ask Tiger and Rory, women will be the toughest golf opponent you ever face. Unless of course you marry someone who loves the game as much as you do!

you're playing WAY too much golf

you're a newish golfer, and you're playing what? 3- 9 hole rounds, and 2 18 hole rounds a week? 14 hours of course time per week?

that's just not something you can keep up, you're burning up a ton of your free time away just golfing. Do you hate the girl you're shacked up with or something?

if you're going after the hobby so strongly, that's just not maintainable... you're going to burn up and give up on the game if you keep up at this pace.

a little balance in life goes a long way..... and with as much course time as you're spending now... the only way you'd be able to balance that would be if you had a sweet sugar mama so you didn't have to work.

In my earlier response I told the number of rounds played this year but I am retired now. It hasn't always been that way. Before retirement, I worked 10-14 hours per day and didn't get to play much golf at all. My story then would have been a lot like most of these responses in this thread as family, wife, work all came before golf. Treasure your time with the kids it seems like they are grown and gone in the blink of an eye, there will be plenty of time for golf later.

No such thing as too much golf....until it affects your family life or your health.
Well....maybe there is.

No such thing!!

Too much golf?

Too much golf?

I golfed everyday since 22nd (including 27 holes twice and plenty of range balls) and yesterday I might have done it by hitting a real fat-fat shot (the ground was wet). I woke up with a sore left wrist. I will rest today and go to an executive 9 hole with my lady tomorrow and one more 27 holes on Monday to close out 2012 - albeit 2 months back golfing.

I learned a lot while playing-tweaking my swing vs. range tweaking swing. I learned that practice on the range and on the field are both needed. I have lot to take to the range.

I also learned that body needs rest to help the game-I wasn't bending my knees and had a terrible front nine yesterday. Rest is important and I found a great respect for the pros who play four rounds in a tournament.

Happy new year, thp!

Man, you're lucky! I wish I could golf, but there's this annoying cold white stuff falling from the sky.

is this a thread to make most of feel jealous?!?! haha, I could only dream of playing that much this time of year.

I'm sorry you need to rest! I've got 13 inches of white junk on the ground and really can't feel your pain right now(i'm actually very jealous) BUT.........
Feb 1st I'll be in Vegas and playing 10 days straight so I hope to experience your pain soon!(again,I speak like this cuz I'm very jealous!)
Happy New Year!

When is it "Too much golf"?...

When you consistently miss or are late for tee times because you are still trying to finish a round.

When you learn how to eat a bowl of cereal in the cart between tee and green on your first hole of the morning.

When you go to a club board meeting and propose they build a taco bell drive thru on the 15th fairway.

When you always get home too late to watch anything but the silly Hammer X infomercial on Golf Channel. ( a NO cc driver??? physically impossible or pure genius?hahaha)

When you only have 12 clubs in the bag because you broke your 3 wood and lost your 56* wedge but haven't had time to go to the golf store and replace them.

When the post office starts forwarding your mail to the driving range.

When Brittney Spears and Charlie Sheen recommend that you join their Tuesday night 12 step group.

When ALL OF THE ABOVE have happened in your life, in the same month, then maybe, JUST MAYBE, you have crossed the line of too much golf. Until then, don't worry man.

When is it "Too much golf"?...

When you consistently miss or are late for tee times because you are still trying to finish a round.

When you learn how to eat a bowl of cereal in the cart between tee and green on your first hole of the morning.

When you go to a club board meeting and propose they build a taco bell drive thru on the 15th fairway.

When you always get home too late to watch anything but the silly Hammer X infomercial on Golf Channel. ( a NO cc driver??? physically impossible or pure genius?hahaha)

When you only have 12 clubs in the bag because you broke your 3 wood and lost your 56* wedge but haven't had time to go to the golf store and replace them.

When the post office starts forwarding your mail to the driving range.

When Brittney Spears and Charlie Sheen recommend that you join their Tuesday night 12 step group.

When ALL OF THE ABOVE have happened in your life, in the same month, then maybe, JUST MAYBE, you have crossed the line of too much golf. Until then, don't worry man.

i lol'd on skype with the wife and she was like uhhhh whats funny so i had to read this too her then she was like thats you lol but i only play on saturdays been just about every weekend lately but wont be after this week

No such thing as too much golf. Golf > eating > breathing, you know.

This is true....no such thing as to much golf unless your like losing your job and not putting food in your kids mouth or something thats crazy like that. I have played 3 rounds of golf before in a day before when I was a teenager in the long summer days and had to almost go to glow in the dark balls to keep playing but I figured that was taking it to far! I like to play 36 holes a day when possible with practice or practice in the practice facility area for a few hours and play a round!

As long as you're able to keep the bills paid & your job isn't being affected, play all you stand. If you're holding off on a bill to play or dragging in late & leaving work early I say maybe cut back.
Since you're not married, there's really no issue there.

I am going to flip this and say, "what is not enough golf?" I play a good number of rounds in the summer and then the 1st few weeks of school. However, once we get into the thick of our season and all of my school responsibilities take over, I just don't get to play as much as I would like. I have not played since early November. Now, I have been reading and swing and keeping up with whats going on but it seems as though there is osmething going on every weekend once November rolls around and I just don't have the time to get the rounds in.

I usually try to keep it down to 4 or 5 times per week. Ya got to rest the back now & then :D

I usually try to keep it down to 4 or 5 times per week. Ya got to rest the back now & then :D

Exactly hahah, I'd rather play a few
Rounds at a time then mess up my back playing everyday

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

Golf is a passion for a lot of us, so of course it's something we would do as much as we could. I play as much as I can, but family and work take priority. If both of those are taken care of, I'll play as much as possible. It's a healthy obsession as far as I'm concerned.

Back