Who remembers Golfsmith?

drb1956

Reaction score
Handicap
25+
I always enjoyed a trip to Golfsmith, as there used to be a brick and mortar store in Schaumburg, Il,. I live 10 minutes from there. Getting the catalog was fun, as I read thru it, wishing to buy this, or that. I always wanted to go to the clubmakers school in Texas, but never did. I did put together a set of Golfsmith P2 irons, played them for quite a few years, and still have them stored in a box, in the spare bedroom. I might pull them out sometime for a range session. Anyone who has memories of Golfsmith, please feel free to post them here.

Last edited:
Golfsmith was the 🐐. Loved getting their catalog in the mail and making trips to many MN stores to window shop and purchase periodically. They were my go to for club repair and regripping

I remember it. I recall the catalog. I believe that I ordered some equipment from them years ago.

Built a lot of Golfsmith stuff over the years. Still have a center shafted blade putter which was “inspired by” the Bettinardi BB23. I was absolutely a regular there, although I also used Dynacraft and Wishon a fair bit. It’s still nice being able to go to Golf Galaxy and pick up a grip or some tape or even a shaft if needed.

My parents lived about an hour away from the HQ in Austin. Dad and I would go over every time I went to visit. I also had a brick and mortar store about 10 min from my house here in Houston. I really miss having such a good golf store that close. I keep hoping PGASS will move into that storefront

Golfsmith was the 🐐. Loved getting their catalog in the mail and making trips to many MN stores to window shop and purchase periodically. They were my go to for club repair and regripping
Bought all my grips there, as I used their brand on my clubs. Saved some coin, and they were as good, and lasted as long as OEM. If I needed a shaft upgrade for my current driver at that time, Golfsmith was the place. Bought a Callaway Diablo Octane driver there. It was a used demo, the same year it came out, which listed at $299 new. I bought mine for $117 + tax, because it had a cosmetic flaw on the top of the head. Polished it off..Bought a used set of Cleveland 900's from their huge used club racks, paying about $70 a club, and played them until 2020! Got my money out of them! Still have them, too. Currently playing Cleveland CBX2's. I loved going to Golfsmith...

Last edited:
I actually worked PT at the Golfsmith in Indy just prior to them closing. Bought a used like new set of 2014 Taylormade TP MC's for less than $100 after some trades. One of the older guys I worked with at Golfsmith is now the main fitter at PGA SS, so it's always nice to see friends from back in the day!

Yep used to spend hours with their catalog.

I don't have extensive memories of Golfsmith, but I did take a course to build a sand wedge once when I was in club building mode. I also bought a few components at various times.

I tended to frequent Golf Galaxy a bit more, and there was a time when they carried some Golf Works gear as well.

My parents lived about an hour away from the HQ in Austin. Dad and I would go over every time I went to visit. I also had a brick and mortar store about 10 min from my house here in Houston. I really miss having such a good golf store that close. I keep hoping PGASS will move into that storefront
Man!! If I lived that close to the HQ, I would have went to the clubmaking school. Houston does not have PGASS? We have 3 around the Chicagoland area, all in the burbs. Plenty of Dick's Sporting Goods too, although their golf section is not the best. I play Maxfli Softfli golf balls, and they are my go to store for that, especially with 2fer deals. We have a few Golf Galaxies around, but if there is a Dick's close by, they closed the store. One exception, is they have a GG in Downers Grove, and 2 blocks down is a Dicks. That GG is a busy store! Really miss Golfsmith! I go by the where the store was, and it brings back old memories. I bought a set of Callaway X-20 irons there, new in the box, but they were already 4 years old on the market. Tried them out on the sim, best club for me at the time. Wish I could go to a Golfsmith...

Last edited:
I don't have extensive memories of Golfsmith, but I did take a course to build a sand wedge once when I was in club building mode. I also bought a few components at various times.

I tended to frequent Golf Galaxy a bit more, and there was a time when they carried some Golf Works gear as well.
There was a GG across the road from GS at that time, now closed after Dicks bought them. GW stuff at that time, was not the same, and not as much to choose from, at least to me, as the stuff at GS. They are much better now!

flashbacks and nightmares, along with cold sweats in less than 10 seconds

I think of Golfsmith everytime I pass my swingweight scale.

You guys act like they’ve been gone for years. What is is it 5-6?

Loved Golfsmith. Odered a lot of stuff from them and stopped in one in Atlanta every time I went through there.

I got the catalog for years. I ordered a few things from it but never (to my regret) got into club building.

There was a store in Memphis but it closed several years ago. At the end, it was pitiful.

Loved it. At one time, had the best "trade-in value" ever. Not that I changed clubs frequently ... :p

I really enjoy the stories and anecdotes about GS..Keep them coming...

Golfsmith used to be a must stop when I would go down to Phoenix. I would spend hours in there. Thankfully, for my wife, it was in a bit of a strip mall area so she could hit several other stores while I wandered around one store. Guitar Center, IKEA (the wife's MUST stop) and some other stores were close by, also. We could spend an entire day that 1 square mile.

I used them for shafts and club making supplies way back when. I visited the original Austin TX store a couple times and they had a store close to home soon before the company shut down.

We had a Golfsmith in Brookfield a few miles from me, they closed and Golf Galaxy moved in. What I didn't like was the hitting bays at the Golfsmith were closed and filled with shoes and clothes. In Dec a PGA Superstore opened about a 1/2 mile from GG and GG is now a ghost town.

Their headquarters used to be in Austin. I’d love going to the store cause they had a driving range out back. So you could actually test out the clubs on a live range. Those were the days.

Back