Who remembers Golfsmith?

Oh yeah, back in the day when I first really got into golf and was only re-gripping. But their catalogs persuaded me to even build a few. Good times.

They just opened up a PGASS near me. Used to have to go to the other side of the Bay to go to it. Now it is 10-15 minutes from my house and on my way to and from work.

Man!! If I lived that close to the HQ, I would have went to the clubmaking school. Houston does not have PGASS? We have 3 around the Chicagoland area, all in the burbs. Plenty of Dick's Sporting Goods too, although their golf section is not the best. I play TopFlite balls, and they are my go to store for that, especially with 2fer deals. We have a few Golf Galaxies around, but if there is a Dick's close by, they closed the store. One exception, is they have a GG in Downers Grove, and 2 blocks down is a Dicks. That GG is a busy store! Really miss Golfsmith! I go by the where the store was, and it brings back old memories. I bought a set of Callaway X-20 irons there, new in the box, but they were already 4 years old on the market. Tried them out on the sim, best club for me at the time. Wish I could go to a Golfsmith...
We have 3 PGASS in Houston but the closest one is a 45 min drive from me with the other 2 being easily over an hour. The GG down on this end of town is closing to remodel for the next 4-5 months so I guess I'll be making that drive any time I need golf balls.

Seems like theirs two memories that are attached to Golfsmith. One is the club building side and the other was their typical box store with major OEM’s with a small club building area with supplies within the store.

I have two hybrid clubs that I still use, built from components that my wife bought for Xmas for me one year. I had specced out components to build 2 Golfsmith Viper hybrids, in 18*, and 21*, and printed it out off the puter. Was close to Xmas, and I figure I'll buy the parts after the holiday, early spring. She beat me to it! Still look good, and play great. First clubs I ever owned that had moveable weighted technology. You can see that the 3 gets quite a bit of use, as it is my "5 wood". The 4 was out of my bag for quite a while, but currently is in, and it does get used. These are set up with a draw bias using the weights, that remove easily. Feel really good on well struck shots. Probably built these in mid 2000's, and have been in my bag since...

Attachments

• 16750160527676386922988954832054.jpg
    16750160527676386922988954832054.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 16750161003253862567246367682653.jpg
    16750161003253862567246367682653.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 1675016162934691061705863252785.jpg
    1675016162934691061705863252785.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 16750163170873405353601816928308.jpg
    16750163170873405353601816928308.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 10
Back in the early 90's when graphite irons were a novel undertaking, I replaced the shafts in my Mizuno Grad 1, 2 & 3 irons with shafts from Golfsmith. (I think they were Aldilas if I recall correctly) I sold the set shortly thereafter, a buddy made me an offer I couldn't refuse..........

I think it was 2016 when Dicks bought them at a bankruptcy auction.
That's OK!! Just making a topic of conversation. Everybody is so negative these days. Lets try to pick it up a little. We enjoy this game, and all that goes with it! A lot of us had some very positive, possibly rewarding experiences, because of Golfsmith, and I think we should share them...

Snake eye wedges and samurai irons will be missed. Lol

I always got the catalog. I don’t think I ever ordered anything from them though.

Never dealt with GS, but I did a lot of business with Austad's back in the day.

I bought a lot of club heads, shafts, and grips from them in the early 2000s.

The Golfsmith locally is now Golf Galaxy so yeah. I also built my first set of clubs with some snake eye cavity back heads

No real "great" memories to speak of. It was a golf store, just like all the others.

I definitely bought some stuff from them, but now other places get my money instead.

Circle of life

I’ve always used GolfWorks, vs Golfsmith as their CS at a local store needed a big improvement and that lasted with me till they went belly up.

Golfsmith was my go to until they went out of business...now that a PGA SS has opened in my area...that is now the go to store

Not my favorite golf store, I think pgass is a way better store all things considered.

I built a 13* "Fairway Devil" 2W of theirs, with one of the cheapest graphite shafts they had in the catalog, not having a clue what I was doing. It's the first and only club I've ever built. The ferrule work was unfortunate, to be kind.

I should give that thing a few swings now.

sad I didn't get hooked on golf while they were open in town for the short period. they were 100x better than the GG here.

Their headquarters used to be in Austin. I’d love going to the store cause they had a driving range out back. So you could actually test out the clubs on a live range. Those were the days.
Yep I went there many a times. It was a cool place.

There used to be one about an hour from me that was far better than the Golf Galaxy down the road from it. And the one in Columbus was great.

I grew up in Schaumburg so I know that location well. I do miss Golfsmith and always think of it when I'm at the PGATSS right there.

Back