Why cover the putter?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
And so.....while I think its safe to assume most everyone covers their driver and likely woods as well. But many folks do not cover their iron sets and in fact often enough many people mock those who might.

What about putter covers? Why is that so acceptable vs irons? Why is that somehow more special or deserving of a cover?

Im actually an iron coverer and so the only thing in my bag not covered is actually my putter. I dont really know why that is.

I dont mock the putter cover but just asking why is it somehow any more special than covering woods or irons.

And for a second question, why does it have come with you to the green? I mean we take off every other cover at the cart/bag/etc yet for some reason the putter cover has to come with you to the green like as if it needs to be on display on the green surface and like as if you might fall off a cliff and scratch it while walking to and from the green.

Again,...not mocking anything nor bother to me but for some of you Just what is it about the putter cover?

Last edited:
I absolutely understand why most (apparently) cover their clubs in between shots. I take all my covers off once the bags on the cart and they stay off for the duration of the round. Just my personal feeling that other than aesthetics, my clubs are durable enough they aren't going to get 'damaged' in any way sufficiently to impact performance - ever. Some will probably think that's irresponsible, but I don't obsess about keeping my clubs brand new looking. I suspect I may be the only THPer who keeps his clubs naked all round long.

So I definitely can't help you with putter covering :ROFLMAO:

A lot of people often have a custom cover they want to display.. but with the putter being probably 2nd or 3rd most expensive club in the bag, keeping it neat and damage free is probably a priority. Irons little hit the ground on any hit, so some damage is inevitable

Covering the putter protects the face from getting dinged up by the other clubs. You want the face of the putter to stay undamaged. Even a small dent could cause errant putts.

Now I cover my Heavy Putter to protect it, but I also cover it to protect the other clubs from the sharp edges of the putter.

My putter cover stays in my locker, but I find myself picking up the ones the players in front of me lose, quite frequently ;)

Moved to putter section

Much like a condom, its to protect the tools of the trade from bad things happening.

to ask this, openly, is blasphemy...

Most everyone I've ever played with has had a putter cover, but I can't ever remember seeing anyone bring it to the green.

I take mine off at the beginning of the round. Most of the others take it off and leave it at the cart.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The cover stays on to protect the insert in my case and it gets thrown on the green to maintain the flow.😉

The putter is the only club that I typically keep for a long, long time. By covering that baby, I can keep it looking pristine for 5-10 years. Where it sets in my bag, it would get beat up by my wedges if I didn’t keep it covered. Irons get roughed up in a month of range/play. I cover my driver for the same reason that I cover my putter: I might play it a number of years and I try to keep marks off of it if I can.

If I know I am on the green, I leave the putter cover in the cart. If I am taking other clubs to chip with, I leave the cover on for when I toss on the ground.

Last edited:
I have a really nice Taylormade Spider putter, but the paint quality was awful and I immediately got chips in it. Bugged the hell out of me, so one rainy Sunday I took a pocket knife to it and removed every bit of the red paint. It looks badass with just grey metal, and it's now chip proof :) Everybody wins.

Because it’s the most expensive thing in my bag typically and I have some killer covers I like to display. It makes me happy.
Awesome,....whatever makes one happy is always good.

I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on Tiger’s putter? Obviously he is one of the best golfers to walk the face of the Earth, but this seems to go against all logic right? I know I wouldn’t be able to hit it with any accuracy, I struggle enough with a clean face 😂
9DF93779-0DF1-4C01-B804-DE2351822A50.jpeg
C3B22AF2-5EA1-4916-B753-2488745624EF.jpeg

I cover everything except the wedges (SW and LW). No way I'd let the putter fight with them in the bag and get dinged up.

I don't care what others do, I'll hardly notice if another golfer leaves their cover off the putter.

To me though, it's the one club where manufacturers put extreme care and engineering into the materials used and construction of the face. I wouldn't ever want to ding the face so as to invite even the most remote possibility for a putt being sent a bit offline due to an imperfection.

It's kind of like Koepka wiping his putter face before every putt just to protect against the off chance that a grain of sand or other debris may affect the putt.

I cover everything except the wedges (SW and LW). No way I'd let the putter fight with them in the bag and get dinged up.
Im just thinking that its possible i dont cover mine is because everything else is covered and so there technically are no uncovered heads to clank against the putter

Im just thinking that its possible i dont cover mine is because everything else is covered and so there technically are no uncovered heads to clank against the putter
Yeah, I'm not sure why I don't cover my wedges. They last beside the putter though so it gets covered.

Gotta protect the merchandise! And in this case the face. I have a TT Ten and I don’t want the face getting dinged up.

Irons are meant to interact with the ground in a way where wear is welcomed and accepted.

a putter is used differently and meant to be protected. Also covers show off each golfers unique personality and taste.

Just kind of strange that some seem to concern with the putter dings yet the irons is no big deal. I honestly feel that neither are much the big deal as we probably think they are (including myself) . None the less I ask how can the putter dings be any more detrimental to our play vs iron dings would be? Any dings big enough to affect the hit should also be affecting the iron and maybe even more so considering the distances. IDK just my take on the logic.

Last edited:
My OCD rounds high with dings and nicks. I think I would die it my Toulon Chicago clanked against another club. So it stays covered all the time with the THP birdies cover or the Toulon cover.
I take the cover off and leave it in the cart to go putt but it goes back on after being wiped clean and before it gets slide into its spot in the bag

I keep my putter covered for 2 reasons, 1 I want it as pristine as possible, and 2 it is the most expensive club in my bag.

Back