Why do you practice golf?

I really prefer to play vice practice, which for many is also the case. That being said, I do practice as much as possible to get better at the game I love. My wife and I plan on playing this game for the rest of our lives, why not do what we can to get better at it?! In fact for the past couple of years we have taken a 20-week series of lessons and practice during the winter and it has paid off handsomely. Bottom line - no sense in playing if your not trying to get better at it - at least from my perspective, since others may disagree.

I practice just to keep my swing a bit sharper. It keeps the muscle memory going and prevents "rust" from setting in.

Simple. I enjoy playing golf a heck of a lot more when I'm playing well vs when I play poorly. And practicing gives you a much better chance of consistently playing well.

I'm one that enjoys range time. Trying to hit different shots, trying to work the ball from left to right, or right to left.
I spend most of my range time with my irons (mostly the short irons), working on different distances with the same club. I will pick out different targets at different distances and go after them with the same club. I tend to work on backspin quite a bit as well.

It's all about being repetitive, and stress relief, and quiet time. I can play the shots that I wasn't to play without the course telling me what shot I have to play. I can play the risky shots without the risk and in turn my confidence increases.

I also take my kids to the range for their practice time. It's much easier than trying to teach them on the course.

I practice to stop the voices in my head...

But really i just like hitting golf balls. It help get timing in order when you havent played in a while.

I also practice because I LOVE the sound the metal 150yd sign make when I drill it out in the field.... haha. Everyone on the range stops what they're doing and looks up. :act-up:

Let me ask you guys this question: If you were good enough to not practice, would you still practice?

I would. I like it.

Let me ask you guys this question: If you were good enough to not practice, would you still practice?

Absolutely. There is no such thing as "good enough"! I was reading "Mind Over Golf" and the author made a good point, the few folks that have managed a 59 probably got into the clubhouse and said "dang, I left a few shots out there".

Yes. I might practice short game less, but I practice that the most now, mostly because it's free :D But it would still be fun to go to the range. Can't hit the same club over and over again on the course.

I don't go to the driving range too often now that I have a practice mat and net but I used to go at least once a week. I liked going because it kept me loose and was a great stress reliever. I like to think I've gotten better at golf by putting in numerous hours of practice instead of just playing on the course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I practice because my swing sucks and I'm taking lessons to improve that. I want to get to a single digit handicap, but have a lot of flaws in my swing that the lessons have helped with. Unfortunately, after playing for a few years, I've ingrained some bad habits into my swing, and the only way to get rid of them is to practice the correct movements enough to develop muscle memory.

So if he's that talented, why not practice and take it on tour? No practice and as good as lower tier pros is stout

No desire, can't force it, he likes the game, just doesn't love it...

Nate, I'm sorry. I like you but I don't get this. Every player in every sport practices for game day. There is no such thing as good enough not to practice.

Note: Anyone with the last name Iverson is exempt after all were talking about practice.

Same with anything else, the better I am the more I enjoy doing it. Practice produces results and consistency, so I do it.

I've never been a big believer in practice. I might go to the practice area and green and chip for a while but spend next to no time on the range itself. I like paying and using that as practice. I drop a few balls along the way on each hole and play them.

I've never been a big believer in practice. I might go to the practice area and green and chip for a while but spend next to no time on the range itself. I like paying and using that as practice. I drop a few balls along the way on each hole and play them.

Being the OP I obviously agree. I also think the range is just flat out boring. If that's all there was to golf, I would not play golf. There is just no enjoyment in it for me. I'm perfectly content with shooting a 100 today and an 85 next weekend; I won't be blaming my high score on a lack of practice.

I practice because I have rekindled a burning passion for the game and am sick of getting stomped by my peers. Plus my athleticism is dwindling with age and golf will fill the competitive void. Just can't play hoops anymore without feeling like an ACL is going to tear.

Its therapeutic, and cause I love the game

Its therapeutic, and cause I love the game

I agree, I enjoy going to the range or practice green. It's part of my quiet time I get when on the course or practice area.

I practice cause I want to be better and the only way for me to get the reps and to get better is to hit the range.

For me, it was a personal choice that helped me get through a tough time. My mom passed from cancer in October of 2012. Being able to hit the range and hit balls helped me learn, was fun, but more importantly, helped me free my mind for a hour or two a few times a week and think of nothing else but hitting balls. I could pick a tree or a marker and just hit and focus on the task. Now it has become my release to ease stress. I certainly want to get better at the game though too!

Good topic. I do prefer to play also, but love to practice when I can't. Have a net and putting mat in the house just because I love involving myself with the game. I want that lower score every time I go out, solo or tournament. I used to be one that would bang through 3 buckets of balls at the range and blister my hands to improve, but now have slowed it down--I really want to hit a flag or marker out there--when I get close enough I move to the next flag with another club--take my time and focus now and maybe use one bucket or not even all of it. The sound of the impact, the flight through the air, the hop and roll out--just love it anywhere. I prefer it to be on a course most times, but if I have an hour then a range with flag targets gets my time. For short game, I have begun to love it too and my scores are going down because of it--love to move around the green and try to hit different shots--can not stay and hit 20 balls from one spot. Always use 2-3 balls max and get up and down or 1-2 putt each one to a new hole.

Crap I want to go play now.

For me just the personal satisfaction of hitting good shots. I've never played competitive golf, probably never will as I expend all of my competitive energy in other places, mainly tournament bass fishing.

I simply want to be good at golf for my own satisfaction. I've had lots of hobbies throughout life and I've been good at most of them in a relatively quick time frame. Golf is a killer and doesn't allow anything to happen fast so I practice because I want to be a good player for myself, no other reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

For me just the personal satisfaction of hitting good shots.

^this too! There is just nothing like a great golf shot. I will often say wow or appreciate a good shot out there on the course or range no matter who hits it. It just a beautiful thing.

Back