Why do you practice golf?

kiteman: "Actually the only way to get more of those is to play on the course itself. There is no way to get any of those results unless you are playing on a course. Practice on a range simply improves your odds of making those shots happen, but then again hitting those shots repeatedly the more you play that course also improves your odds of making those shots happen. My whole point is they are both forms of practice, and I prefer being on the course."

If your practicing on the course your practicing for shots on that course only. If you practice at the range you can learn how to hit any type of shot for whatever situation you are in.

Last edited:
Why do you practice golf?

I practice for two reasons mainly.

First off, my fun is directly correlated with how well I performed. Over the years I have gotten very good about not letting bad shots undo my round, but when you're playing better you're having more fun. When I figure something out and get results I want, there is a sense of pride and accomplishment that is very important for me personally.

Secondly, there are times when I go to the range just to get some "me time". I work from home and am a father of 4 under 6. Something I realized when I stopped having to commute was just how useful that commuting time is for decompression and transitioning from co-worker to Dad. I don't have that any more and just getting an hour on the range a couple times a week is invaluable for my sanity.

Last edited:
Short answer, because I normally suck at playing golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love to practice plain and simple. I love going through shot in my head and trying to duplicate it over and over. I love working on the swing as much as I do chipping, the better I get at hitting it closer to the hole, the better ill be at scoring.

I love to practice to mainly work on tempo and ball position to figure out ball flight. I love working on my wedges and can putt on the practice green for hours.

It's hard for me to go through my whole bag bc I get bored. I need the course to help me see trouble, carry distances, etc..

Tapping away on my iPhone

I practice for two reasons mainly.

First off, my fun is directly correlated with how well I performed. Over the years I have gotten very good about not letting bad shots undo my round, but when you're playing better you're having more fun. When I figure something out and get results I want, there is a sense of pride and accomplishment that is very important for me

This is the major reason I go to the range. Also, I'm very new to the game and I always want to improve so I try different things at the range.

Because we all think if we find the right stroke, we can play on tour :)

Golf is too expensive to play poorly. I typically become obsessed with whatever hobby I have until I excel (car website until I buy the car, lifting weight till I joined the 1000lb club, etc...). Golf is without question the hardest hobby!

I practice because it is fun. On course the goal is to score. At the range the goal is to try new things, reinforce past lessons and admire the rare perfectly struck ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I just spent the half hour between games chipping balls into my couch

I enjoy practice, especially when I see the results on the course.

I actually enjoy practicing. One of the things I hate about winter is that's its usually dark out by the time Im outta work so it pretty much cuts out any practicing. Really like spending 45 minutes or so on the way home after on the short game area, putting and chipping. Nice way to unwind and It really shows in my game when I get to spend time working on those aspects. As a mid handicapper, being able to chip it close or steal a few long putts really helps the score when the tee shots or irons aren't working too great.

I practice, and am taking lessons because I want to enjoy my rounds more.

It all comes down to that.

I enjoy time at the range, it's never wasted. Plus it means I can get some golf in when I have little time or it's dark.

I can 100% see huge improvements in my game following a few good sessions on the range/putting green working on different parts of my game. It all helps build confidence in a repeatable swing that when you stand over a shot on the course, you have the belief that you'll achieve the shot you're aiming for.

I practice regularly (3-4 times a week when the weather permits) and most days enjoy it almost as much as playing a round on the course.

The lure of golf for me is the constant striving to better my swing, mental approach and scoring. No matter how well you play on any given day, there are always things you can do better and improve on. I work on those things at the range, chipping/pitching green and putting green so that when I get on the course I have the best chance to play well. For me there is nothing better in golf than the satisfaction of hitting a shot exactly like you intended, triggering the proverbial "tuning fork in your loins". Practice allows me to experience those shots more than on the course, but also prepares me to be able to execute these shots with more regularity on the course.

Another thing practice allows me is a place I can experiment and be artistic with the golf ball. Try to hit the low punch fade, a high hook with an 8-iron, work the ball with or into the wind, the stinger, the flop shot to a short-sided pin, bump & run, hybrid from a fwy bunker, chip to the same hole with a 60° and work down to 8 or 7-iron, etc. This is fun and a key to allow me the confidence to hit shots on the golf course I may not otherwise have in my bag.

Practice is also my place of Zen. When I'm practicing I can get away from my job, frustration with traffic, financial worries, girlfriend problems, etc. It is a place I can slow down, be quiet, centered and present in what I'm doing. It's a very good place to work on clearing out the mental chatter - clear your mind, visualize the shot, feel it and do it. Practicing this on the range also allows me the best chance of repeating it on the golf course.

Back