I have to say that I did go from a 15 to a 5 while I was hitting Mizuno MP32s but I don't know if it was the clubs or the increase in play and practice time I devoted to my game at the time. I could always drive the ball well, and had lots of people tell me I could be a 0 with more practice, so I finally did start to play a lot more and in the process picked up and hit those cut muscle irons. They are a tiny bit more forgiving than regular blades. I recently switched to hitting a GI iron and I don't mind hitting a straighter ball but I can still bend it some if needed. My handicap has stayed right around 4.5 -5 with these newer GI clubs and I am not practicing as much so they are a lot easier to hit and haven't hurt my scoring any.

I have a 5 ghin. I don't play blades and probably never will.

Distance: I don't care about distance in irons as long as the gaps are consistent. Having a 190 yard 7 iron that I'd probably have with the RBZ irons or RXF irons or the 150 I get now means nothing to me.

Accuracy: Number one thing with me for irons. Blades are going to be the most accurate if you hit it square, and there's really no "puring" one that goes 30 yards farther than expected that can happen with a GI iron.

Feel: Best. I don't know how else to explain it.

Forgiveness: This is the only reason I don't play blades. I'm a pretty good ball striker, but that 1-2 times out of 10 that I mishit it is going to cause problems.

Might I ask how blades are more accurate? You admitted to them being less forgiving, wouldn't that make them less accurate overall? Can go long with any iron, doesn't matter if it's blade or SGI. It's often a swing flaw, not the iron that causes going long.

Feel is subjective. It's like the argument of forged vs. cast processing.

Can I ask why you dont play blades anymore then?

Because the FG Tour V2 forged irons have the same trajectory as a blade set.At least they did when I got fitted.They were the only set that had any cavity that checked out that way.They are also the only set that weren't traditional blades that I felt gave me the advantage of advanced workability and reasonable forgiveness.Add that with the fact that they were over $200 dollars cheaper than either Titleist or Mizuno forged clubs and it was an easy decision.

Might I ask how blades are more accurate? You admitted to them being less forgiving, wouldn't that make them less accurate overall? Can go long with any iron, doesn't matter if it's blade or SGI. It's often a swing flaw, not the iron that causes going long.

Actually tests with Iron Byron have shown less deviation with forged irons over cast.I don't know why,I read that on USGA website many years ago.

On hits in the sweet spot. A blade (for me at least) goes to relatively the same spot every single time if you hit it in the sweet spot. With a SGI, not so much...

I understand on when hit in the sweet spot, but I guess we're just measuring accuracy different. I just see it as a combination in real world use and I know for myself, I want something that is more accurate when I'm not in the sweet spot. For a better ball striker obviously that will not matter as much.

Because the FG Tour V2 forged irons have the same trajectory as a blade set.At least they did when I got fitted.They were the only set that had any cavity that checked out that way.They are also the only set that weren't traditional blades that I felt gave me the advantage of advanced workability and reasonable forgiveness.Add that with the fact that they were over $200 dollars cheaper than either Titleist or Mizuno forged clubs and it was an easy decision.

So in this case, perimeter weighting caused no "issue" despite being completely different than a blade iron in terms of weighting. Hmmm.

For those that keep suggesting that blade irons are more accurate than perimeter weighted irons, can I ask why at the highest level, more players use cavity backs than blades? Are you suggesting that they struggle hitting the sweet spot and need the forgiveness?

Blades pick up the babes. Thats why I pretend to play them. Thats what P4B told me anyways

For those that keep suggesting that blade irons are more accurate than perimeter weighted irons, can I ask why at the highest level, more players use cavity backs than blades? Are you suggesting that they struggle hitting the sweet spot and need the forgiveness?

Thats a good question. I can see the meeting's at the oem's talking about club design "Let's make a GAME IMPROVMENT iron that isn't accurate." :confused2: I don't even know what to class my irons as but my game has improved since I got them so can I call them game improvment irons. Oh my cleveland launchers were very accurate

I'd love to try some out, just to see how they hit, but I dont think I'd game them unless I was really shocked at their performance boosting mega powers!

So if you "pure" an 8i with a blade and pure one with a GI, what do you say happens. Lets say they are the same swing weight, lofts and lie. Is your position that the blade will be more accuarate distance wise or direction wise?
On hits in the sweet spot. A blade (for me at least) goes to relatively the same spot every single time if you hit it in the sweet spot. With a SGI, not so much...

I have yet to see these distance variables I have read about

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I play blade irons for two reasons: 1. The way they look at address. 2. The feel of hitting a blade gives u instant feedback unlike more forgiving irons.

These are pretty dumb reasons to play blades.... 1. You can get CB's with a thin top line that would be indistinguishable at address. 2. Do you really need to know the instant you hit it off center? Would it be so bad to wait 1 second and see your ball flight to know that you missed it? Besides the only time blades give you feedback is when you miss hit it. I get enough "feedback" from my playing partners... I don't need any from my club! :D

I have yet to see these distance variables I have read about

Shovel lover!!

I think the OP just wants reasons as to why one should play them. It boils down to one only IMO, personal preference. If you want them, get them.

I would suggest that more PGA Tour players play forged clubs be they traditional blades or slight cavity than cast.After all even Ping is making a forged club for some of their Pros.Some of their Reps refer to the new Anser as a forged blade even though it has a cavity.

Shovel lover!!

I think the OP just wants reasons as to why one should play them. It boils down to one only IMO, personal preference. If you want them, get them.

I'm a good shot lover. I don't discriminate against big boned irons

I'm a good shot lover. I don't discriminate against big boned irons

Hence the username, lol

You're a good sport. I say swing whatever the eff you want.

Hence the username, lol

You're a good sport. I say swing whatever the eff you want.

Me too broski. Nothing better than hitting a shot well no matter the club used

I would suggest that more PGA Tour players play forged clubs be they traditional blades or slight cavity than cast.After all even Ping is making a forged club for some of their Pros.Some of their Reps refer to the new Anser as a forged blade even though it has a cavity.

Wait...Now I am confused. You said that blades were more accurate. Yet almost 70% of PGA Tour players are playing perimeter weighted clubs. Now its that forged irons are more accurate? So does that mean that Lee Westwood is just willing to suffer with less accuracy? How about any of the other guys playing i20s or countless other non-forged clubs?

Genuinely curious. Can you explain to me how with modern vacuum casting technology, an iron made from forging will be more accurate? And how does this relate to larger perimeter weighted forged clubs like Nike VRS, Srixon Z-Star and others? And back to the original question...Why would players at the highest level prefer less accuracy?

Why would players at the highest level prefer less accuracy?

I can't answer your other questions but as for this one, maybe the pros, like their non-pro counterparts, prefer less forgiving forged blades because they look really cool LOL.

I'd be willing to bet like 5% of PING's staff uses the Anser line of clubs. Pretty sure they were only made for the Asian market and people who think 1500$ forged clubs are awesome. This is strictly made up numbers but I can't think of one PING staffer who actually uses the Anser series irons.

Back