Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Review Thread

Did W/S make it back into Golf Galaxy? I know my local GG didnt have any last I was in there nor did Dicks. I know Id sure love to see these nice looking sticks up close and personal.

I really dont think that has any bearing on the reviews though. I mean we dont touch on it in shaft reviews do we? It is not a negative that I cannot try a UST Attas T2 at a local shop. Nor did it come up for SeeMore putters review thread either.
For what its worth, Wilson Staff is available at Edwin Watts and PGA Super Store as well as Golf Galaxy (near us anyway).

You're right, it has no bearing in the review.

So, I've been waiting to talk about 'turf interaction' a little bit and I'll continue to do so over time, but I wanted to give a little write-up about it after two range sessions and two nine-hole rounds.

The first range I went to has pretty lush grass on a sandy base and is really good for flinging divots. I was able to really scalp the ground here with the V2's. I was pleased to see they weren't overly deep as the type of swing that creates those doesn't do much for my ball striking or wrist pain I've had this summer. I felt that they went through the grass without much effort at all.

The second range I went to was a complete opposite. It was basically hardpan with a mix of real grass and crab grass. This is the type of surface that tended to cause me some issues with the Redlines as I bounced them quite a bit. The divots I took with the V2's at this range were small and not as symmetrical as the ones at the 'nice' range.

I will say that hitting behind the ball will cause these to dig (not deep so far) and produce a strike high on the club face. This is a distance robbing shot with irons like these. There's no getting around that and the only way to avoid it is not to hit the ball fat. It's something I work on all the time and plan to continue. I'm not 6 inches behind the ball as much as I am about 1/2 to 1 inch behind the ball. Enough to kill the shot, basically.

Yesterday I was playing on a course that had been dried out over the last couple weeks. However, it was raining and it softened it up just a little. I was right in the middle between the two extremes I just mentioned. I was taking medium sized divots and the club was gliding through quite easily. They were not 'dollar bill size', but about half that size.

Great start guys!! I had to do some catching up!

So, I've been waiting to talk about 'turf interaction' a little bit and I'll continue to do so over time, but I wanted to give a little write-up about it after two range sessions and two nine-hole rounds.

The first range I went to has pretty lush grass on a sandy base and is really good for flinging divots. I was able to really scalp the ground here with the V2's. I was pleased to see they weren't overly deep as the type of swing that creates those doesn't do much for my ball striking or wrist pain I've had this summer. I felt that they went through the grass without much effort at all.

The second range I went to was a complete opposite. It was basically hardpan with a mix of real grass and crab grass. This is the type of surface that tended to cause me some issues with the Redlines as I bounced them quite a bit. The divots I took with the V2's at this range were small and not as symmetrical as the ones at the 'nice' range.

I will say that hitting behind the ball will cause these to dig (not deep so far) and produce a strike high on the club face. This is a distance robbing shot with irons like these. There's no getting around that and the only way to avoid it is not to hit the ball fat. It's something I work on all the time and plan to continue. I'm not 6 inches behind the ball as much as I am about 1/2 to 1 inch behind the ball. Enough to kill the shot, basically.

Yesterday I was playing on a course that had been dried out over the last couple weeks. However, it was raining and it softened it up just a little. I was right in the middle between the two extremes I just mentioned. I was taking medium sized divots and the club was gliding through quite easily. They were not 'dollar bill size', but about half that size.

Thanks Hawk for touching on this. I take huge divots and I need an iron that really can cut through turf or rough. I'm so excited to get my hands on these at some point.

Thanks buddy. I know that our wrist issues are not the same, but this is the first Monday in awhile that I have not had a very sore wrist. I'm not saying it's because of the irons. Just saying it.

Thanks buddy. I know that our wrist issues are not the same, but this is the first Monday in awhile that I have not had a very sore wrist. I'm not saying it's because of the irons. Just saying it.

KBS shafts maybe?

Who knows. It could be that I wasn't on the computer all weekend for all I know haha. I will say that the Redlines could get stuck on really steep shots for me and it just plain hurt. Not physically stuck, but kind of a gouging strike into ground. For whatever reason, I didn't have any shots like that this weekend.

I do like the shaft quite a bit so far. It's different than the DG in the other FG irons. I don't know exactly what is different about it, but it's just a little different. Maybe not as heavy?

KBS shafts maybe?

Thanks Hawk for touching on this. I take huge divots and I need an iron that really can cut through turf or rough. I'm so excited to get my hands on these at some point.

I'm similar yoccos, as I tend to take huge divots with my irons. One of the aspects of these irons that I really like is how well they cut through the turf. It was tough to gauge on the range I was on, but on the fairways yesterday I cut through fairly easily (as long as I didn't get to steep on my swing).

Like I said yesterday, I did have a shot or two I was too steep on that really dug in to the ground and go caught in it. Led to some serious wrist pain, however that is purely related to my swing, not the iron.

Shouldn't be as heavy but not by much. I think KBS' just feel smoother dude. I also think that they leading edge might have something to do with it. You're cutting through the turf a bit easier. I'm glad the wrists aren't sore dude.

Lie angles

Lie angles

I have a question for all three testers.
Do all three of you normally play standard lie irons, or did you adjust the lie angles before testing these irons?

KBS Shafts are balanced differently than DG's. The KBS shaft has more weight in the butt section, so the overall balance of the club will make it feel less head heavy than if it had DG shafts.

Do all three of you normally play standard lie irons, or did you adjust the lie angles before testing these irons?

I have not had these fitted yet. I plan to do that before too long. I normally play standard lies as that's what I receive from companies for homepage reveiws.

KBS Shafts are balanced differently than DG's. The KBS shaft has more weight in the butt section, so the overall balance of the club will make it feel less head heavy than if it had DG shafts.

That makes a lot of sense and actually explaines what I was feeling. Thanks!

Hawk, thanks for elaborating on the turf interaction. It is nice to see that the iron is sliding through the turf fairly easily.

They are the same as when they were shipped to me, I have not had them adjusted as of yet.

Shouldn't be as heavy but not by much. I think KBS' just feel smoother dude. I also think that they leading edge might have something to do with it. You're cutting through the turf a bit easier. I'm glad the wrists aren't sore dude.

That's the truth on the feel of the KBS, so nice and smooth. Its all about preference and flight though in the end.

Super glad the wrist isn't killing you though Hawk, that's a big deal right there.

I can't really help myself, so I decided to go play another 9 after work today. I'm going to play a shorter course (5,300 yards) in the hopes that I can get lots of different iron shots. Should be nice out, so I try to get some short videos as well as some pictures.

Hawk & WE: sorry if it has been touched on and I overlooked it but when you get an opportunity I am interested to hear how it feels chipping within 20 yards around the greens with the PW. I believe that many GE irons tend to feel a bit more hot/jumpy off the face due to how the material is set. It was something that I experienced on a recent iron change that took some adapting to. Thanks and keep up the great work!

I can't really help myself, so I decided to go play another 9 after work today. I'm going to play a shorter course (5,300 yards) in the hopes that I can get lots of different iron shots. Should be nice out, so I try to get some short videos as well as some pictures.

Hawk,

I think that is a great idea. I should do this every so often, to just work on my irons. I know it will help give you some ideas out each one does off the tee and at different yardages than normal. Have you thought about taking the woods out of the bag to make you only use irons? I think that would make it more interesting.

First off, I'll be honest and say that I like using my wedges from 90 yards and in and rarely use anything else. However, I knew that this question would be asked and I've spent some time practicing with the PW. Since it's 47° and has very low bounce, I could see it being very useful for those tight lie shots where I want to keep the trajectory down.

Off the face, the ball sounds very soft on chips shots and the ball comes off nicely in a low trajectory for me. I have had no problems controlling the distance so far. I'll get some video of that this week if possible as I have a short game area that is perfect for that type of thing.

Hawk & WE: sorry if it has been touched on and I overlooked it but when you get an opportunity I am interested to hear how it feels chipping within 20 yards around the greens with the PW. I believe that many GE irons tend to feel a bit more hot/jumpy off the face due to how the material is set. It was something that I experienced on a recent iron change that took some adapting to. Thanks and keep up the great work!

I have and actually sort of did that on Saturday when playing a small executive course. I teed off with irons on all but two of the 7 holes. It was a great way to learn about the longer irons for me.

This course is just long enough that I need to hit driver on a few holes and fairway on a couple others to have a good shot at the green with an iron. Other than that, there is a lot of par 3's that I should be able to put them to the test on.

Hawk,

I think that is a great idea. I should do this every so often, to just work on my irons. I know it will help give you some ideas out each one does off the tee and at different yardages than normal. Have you thought about taking the woods out of the bag to make you only use irons? I think that would make it more interesting.

Ha I always hate after those first few rounds where they don't look perfect any more. They definitely still some beautiful looking irons though, I am more impressed with them after seeing all the vids and pics than I was upon the initial pics. The feedback you guys are giving on them is sounding pretty good too, I guess I can't write off Wilson like I always had in the past.

This!! You know we never want to but almost everyone does this with one company or another based on some equipment they have made in the past. With technology now a days we just can't do that or we are missing out and I have learned that on THP. This site is great for testing lesser known or maybe not the biggest named products and showing how great they truly are. It isn't all about the brand but the actual product which is why i love THP.

Cook, I havent spent too much time hitting this type of shot with the PW yet, but plan on doing it soon. Will hopefully get some videos up for you soon.

However, on the range, I did do some chipping with the PW to about 25 yards to get a feel for the club. I was not having the best success with this for a couple reasons; 1. Grass at the range was much thicker than what I would hit out of on the course/fairway). 2. I prefer a wedge with more bounce, and generally hit a 50* for this shot.

The closest I used the PW for on the course yesterday was from about 40 yards, and it was bump and run type shot hitting the front of the green. I caught it a little thin, but was kept low and a nice bounce up onto the green with a nice roll. Typically, I would use a 50* for this shot, but for testing purposes, I went with the V2 PW.

I don't think you can write off W/S at all. They have had some very good clubs over the last few years.

Loving the reviews so far. These things are so clean and nice looking. Nothing flashy about them. Keep up the good work guys.

Back