Wilson Staff Model Collection Putters

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
It really is interesting how time changes perceptions. At one point, if you were to mention putters, Wilson Staff would have been at the top of the list not just for perception, but overall number of clubs in play as well. With one of the most iconic designs (8802) of all time, it’s no wonder that they garnered such success and made such an impact.

Fast forward to 2022 and the discussion isn’t quite the same. While the Wilson Staff Infinite lineup did have some very good success among THP’ers and was extremely competitive in price point, there was still something missing. A sensation of the company trying to show off their Chicago Roots with the naming conventions, but at the same time almost hoping it would stick. Well, today Wilson hopes to correct course on that

Continue reading...

I'm intrigued. In hand they look fantastic and @Jman nailed this write up.

Coming up tomorrow on the Worst Golf Podcast that will drop in the morning, we lay a challenge down to Wilson and I hope they jump on it.

Wow, wasn’t expecting that! $349.99 puts them in line with Mizuno and other companies, so I guess looks and nostalgia will have to be stellar to make a dent in the market place.

They look like quality putters and I am excited to see them.

But I do find it almost endearing how it appears Wilson Staff has no idea where it sits in the golf marketplace. $50 golf balls and $350 putters from them is cute.

They look like quality putters and I am excited to see them.
$50 golf balls and $350 putters from them is cute.

To me that is a fine line however. Go cheaper and you are always that "cheap brand".

• Staff
Wow, wasn’t expecting that! $349.99 puts them in line with Mizuno and other companies, so I guess looks and nostalgia will have to be stellar to make a dent in the market place.
Honestly, this really feels like they looked at the success Mizuno has had, and tried to copy/paste that without the fun blue finish. There are visually a LOT of similarities to me.

I would want to see them in hand, but the BL22 and MT22 models would be the most interesting to me

If they included the weight kit with the purchase of a putter, it gives the user the best chance to dial it in for their preferred feel

• Staff
To me that is a fine line however. Go cheaper and you are always that "cheap brand".
Fact. And it’s worse when you go cheaper AND have a lower quality finish to match it like they did with Infinite.

But this whole thing just feels a little lost. There is IMO potential, and it’s perhaps their cleanest putter release/designs in 20 years, but there’s no true story told, nothing making it stick.

And the ultra cheap brand reputation is what they're fighting, for sure.

I would want to see them in hand, but the BL22 and MT22 models would be the most interesting to me

If they included the weight kit with the purchase of a putter, it gives the user the best chance to dial it in for their preferred feel
That’s the one thing we did not get a clear answer on, if the kit is included or separate. Which was a surprising thing to not clarify.

Did I miss it in the review? What grip are these being shipped with?

Honestly, this really feels like they looked at the success Mizuno has had, and tried to copy/paste that without the fun blue finish. There are visually a LOT of similarities to me.
Ya know I never thought about it and THPers (and you) kind of brought that to my attention just now. It is similar in some ways. Fairly avid user base. Known mostly for their irons, etc etc. Mizuno does come in at $50 less and includes the weight kit however as well as the finishes.

I touch on something else on WGP tomorrow that I think is one thing that will hold these back and frankly it shouldn't.

I’m intrigued as I am old enough and have been playing long enough to remember the 8802. The price point is interesting as that may deter interest. But these are nice looking putters that I will likely want to look at in person. And I’ll definitely read about them here on the forum.

Ya know I never thought about it and THPers (and you) kind of brought that to my attention just now. It is similar in some ways. Fairly avid user base. Known mostly for their irons, etc etc. Mizuno does come in at $50 less and includes the weight kit however as well as the finishes.

I touch on something else on WGP tomorrow that I think is one thing that will hold these back and frankly it shouldn't.
Yep, the parallels are there imo, which hey, good move if they will let it, maybe?

Looking forward to hearing your take, also looking forward to seeing one in hand, as you and I both know that tells the true story.

Did I miss it in the review? What grip are these being shipped with?
Didn’t miss it, I elected not to include it in the preview as I figured it would come up discussion here. It’s a Grey Lamkin Deep Etch, SS is also available for an upcharge. 👍

To be fair, they look good.

But to jump into that pricing tier you need to be different or already have the cachet.

To be fair, they look good.

But to jump into that pricing tier you need to be different or already have the cachet.
True, but come in at 199 and you’re called cheap.

Didn’t miss it, I elected not to include it in the preview as I figured it would come up discussion here. It’s a Grey Lamkin Deep Etch, SS is also available for an upcharge. 👍
Not a grip I have tried, but being familiar with the SS Mid-Slim 2.0, having the option to upgrade to one of those is good to know if I was to purchase one of these

True, but come in at 199 and you’re called cheap.
Yup. I certainly don't have the answer to fix that, but I can say why they don't draw a large interest from me personally.

Yup. I certainly don't have the answer to fix that, but I can say why they don't draw a large interest from me personally.
I don’t think you’re alone at all. Wilson has put themselves in an interesting predicament

Not a grip I have tried, but being familiar with the SS Mid-Slim 2.0, having the option to upgrade to one of those is good to know if I was to purchase one of these
Deep etch is a pretty rock solid option, I was pleased to see it.

Per the article, I am rejoicing. Love the 8802. If I could, I would have it. Maybe some overtime is in order to make it happen.

They named the line up Staff Model, which is nice for uniformity, but where’s the connection between the Staff Model Blade irons, CBs, wedges, and golf balls? No full bag mentions or pictures.

350 puts them in tough competition. I'd had figured they would have gone for the 299 price point since that seems to be a sweet spot. Also allows you to be seen a solid option and not cheap. I know it's only 50 bucks but I'm not sure a lot will spend 350 plus on a Wilson putter

Those are some solid, clean looking putters. I still have an Infinite Southside in my closet that I'll pull out from time to time, which was a great value at $99. I don't have much more to add to the pricing conversation than what's already been posted - their brand messaging has been too inconsistent over the years and jumping in at the $349 pricepoint is going to certainly turn some heads. If they find a way to leverage the solid performance & looks with the D9 Forged and bring these putters to that conversation, they may be on to something. But are they the brand that hung it's hat on Manolo for the Triad, or are they the brand that offers clean looks and excellent performance that traditionalists want to put in the bag (if they can even find it on the shelves)?

Back