WINE enthusiasts?

Did you enjoy it?

Did you enjoy it?

Yeah we did and only 10 bucks so to me that seems like a pretty good deal. Definitely different than the beer I am used to drinking.

Giving the Paleo a try so that means no beer. So I am having a glass of red wine. Best thing about knowing nothing about wine is that the cheap stuff tastes good to me. Haha gonna have to read through this thread to get some ideas and recommendations
Congrats, I started paleo back in October and have lost 40 pounds. One of the hardest things about the beginning was beer as I am a huge craft beer guy ( probably contributed to the 40 lbs..). Begrudgingly I started to drink wine and to my surprise I have found a new passion. Good luck with the diet, and if you need any recommendations I generally stay in the $12-25 range and am constantly trying something new.

Giving the Paleo a try so that means no beer. So I am having a glass of red wine. Best thing about knowing nothing about wine is that the cheap stuff tastes good to me. Haha gonna have to read through this thread to get some ideas and recommendations
The journey begins...

I remember that we'd stay in a particular price range and find what we liked and disliked. Then we'd move up a price range - say $6 to $10 - and we'd have a whole new perspective on the stuff we thought we liked. Then once we acquired something approaching a palate and we were able to ne'er stand what we were tasting and a collector friend would open stuff that is / was beyond our price range we'd get a whole new perspective. It is fun.

We very often go to Grocery Outlet and pick random things based on the price differential between original and sale price. We get alot of very drinkable wines at stupidly cheap prices this way.

Another good way to build your palate is to join a wine club, such as Wall Street Journal. You get like 9 bottles every quarter, the shipment will have a wide variety of things from all over the planet, you will get educational materials explaining the wine and you get a refund for anything you don't like (yes, not like).

I received notice of my Sea Smoke allocation today. This part and receiving the wine are always exciting. The paying part, not so much :)

I received notice of my Sea Smoke allocation today. This part and receiving the wine are always exciting. The paying part, not so much :)

How long have you been buying? I'm up near the top of the allocation list with them as I've been buying for probably 6 or so years. Got my allocation a few weeks ago and picked up a case. It's a fantastic wine and if you ever get a chance to visit their winery, do it. Wonderful facility. Here's a pic of the barrel "room".

ss.JPG

I have a friend who is a pretty serious collector who generously opens things that are out of our range when we visit and I took a real liking to this wine. It is a bit of a stretch for us to buy like this but it is a special treat. I got on the allocation wait list maybe 2 or 3 years ago; this is the third year of having an allocation. I think I've got 2 or 3 bottles of the '09 Southing left and like 5 of the '10 Southing at home (haven't had one yet). Someday maybe we'll go for a Magnum or a different offering but I think we'll stick with the Southing again this year. I would love to get to the winery and do a tour, sounds like a lot of fun.

I have a friend who is a pretty serious collector who generously opens things that are out of our range when we visit and I took a real liking to this wine. It is a bit of a stretch for us to buy like this but it is a special treat. I got on the allocation wait list maybe 2 or 3 years ago; this is the third year of having an allocation. I think I've got 2 or 3 bottles of the '09 Southing left and like 5 of the '10 Southing at home (haven't had one yet). Someday maybe we'll go for a Magnum or a different offering but I think we'll stick with the Southing again this year. I would love to get to the winery and do a tour, sounds like a lot of fun.

If you can hang on to the wine, it's really a lot better with about 7-8 years of age on it. I had an 04 recently that was mind blowing.

If you can hang on to the wine, it's really a lot better with about 7-8 years of age on it. I had an 04 recently that was mind blowing.

I appreciate this tip. Obviously things fluctuate year to year but the '09s, while solidly good, didn't strike me as particularly special in relation to what my friend opened for us previously. I didn't really pay attention at the time, but he probably opened bottles that had been aged appropriately. So this is good, now I know I just need to leave them be for a while. Good stuff.

now I know I just need to leave them be for a while.

That's usually the hard part. :)

Have you ever tried Windy Oaks from here in the Santa Cruz Mtns? Quite honestly, you will be hard pressed to find a better Pinot from this appellation.

So it looks like I'm going to be one of those seniors...the one that takes the wine class during his last year...haha I'll be joining in here with all of my wine and fine dining adventures next semester.

But, like I always say, beer is the best wine.

So it looks like I'm going to be one of those seniors...the one that takes the wine class during his last year...haha I'll be joining in here with all of my wine and fine dining adventures next semester.

But, like I always say, beer is the best wine.

Good luck in taking a wine class i took so many that i now make it for a living

Good luck in taking a wine class i took so many that i now make it for a living

That's awesome! I've always been interested in it, so now that I have time for it I'll be learning the art of wine making, and wine tasting etc. it's going to be fantastic.

That's awesome! I've always been interested in it, so now that I have time for it I'll be learning the art of wine making, and wine tasting etc. it's going to be fantastic.
The Art of Winemaking is Chemistry, MicroBiology and Engineering

WINE enthusiasts?

The Art of Winemaking is Chemistry, MicroBiology and Engineering

Well I'm graduating with a degree in microbiology and a minor in biochemistry so works for me haha! I understand the biochemistry behind alcoholic fermentation, it's really cool.

Well I'm graduating with a degree in microbiology and a minor in biochemistry so works for me haha! I understand the biochemistry behind alcoholic fermentation, it's really cool.
I wish it was just the Alcoholic fermentation we have to worry about nothing like sorting thru pages of reports on Primary(Alc), Secondary(malic acid ) fermentation as well as Tannis and polymeric pigments and trying to make sense of it all some days are a grind :act-up:

I wish it was just the Alcoholic fermentation we have to worry about nothing like sorting thru pages of reports on Primary(Alc), Secondary(malic acid ) fermentation as well as Tannis and polymeric pigments and trying to make sense of it all some days are a grind :act-up:

That's awesome man. I love all that stuff. And in excite to learn the science behind wine making, and the culture too. It's something that fascinates me.

That's awesome man. I love all that stuff. And in excite to learn the science behind wine making, and the culture too. It's something that fascinates me.

Good luck if you have any questions feel free to ask

We were a few bottles into a dinner party with friends the other night when my buddy brought a bottle of 2007 Gemstone out and put it in the middle of the dining table. The couples kept talking for a while longer. I noticed glasses were getting low so I picked up the Gemstone by the neck and tilted it to pass it to my buddy to open it for us. Unbeknownst to me it was already open. Wine poured out, mostly on my shirt and shorts. Wine wasted and my favorite shorts destroyed. Brilliant move.

Drinking a bottle of Naked Grape tonight... mostly by myself. Hence the increases number of posts.

That sounds like quite a handful.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Has anyone had the Kirkland Brand of wines from Costco? I have had the Malbec and I think it is a good everyday drinker.

Back