Your take on cargo shorts

Nice courses, cargo shorts are a no go for me personally. 99% of the time I wear them proudly.

I would much rather spend $20 on a comfortable pair of cargo shorts than $50 on a pair of golf shorts.

If you are somebody who gets upset if somebody else shows up to play in cargo shorts, that means you're the one with the problem.

Like a lot of you have stated cargos SCREAM muni, they go nicely with a wife beater t shirt! Golf is supposed to be a gentleman's game and a gentleman always knows how to dress...with all the progressive styles out there (adipure, Sligo, Hollas, Travis) why would you want to wear baggy shorts with extra pockets, if you need that much crap on your person then you are playing the game incorrectly...sorry had to vent!

One of the reasons that I joined a private club is to get away from the muni mentality....slow play, poor to non existent etiquette, sloppy dress, hammered greens, etc, etc....

Just my 2 cents....

Even though I am sure this is a troll, I will respond -

Go to your private club, I wouldn't want you anywhere near the courses I play because you are a {insert expletive}.

I have naught but admiration for your bluntness.

Go to your private club, I wouldn't want you anywhere near the courses I play because you are a {insert expletive}.

Ohhhhh I love MADLIBS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to go with DooDoo Head!

That being said, those who are OK with cargo shorts do you have an issue when people wear jeans? Where do you draw the line on what to wear?

I'm perfectly fine with people wearing jeans. As a matter of fact, I played golf this past weekend with a guy that was wearing jeans. Once the weather cools off a little more, if I'm not out hunting, them I'm liable to be on the course in my jeans.

Nice courses, cargo shorts are a no go for me personally. 99% of the time I wear them proudly.

I would much rather spend $20 on a comfortable pair of cargo shorts than $50 on a pair of golf shorts.

If you are somebody who gets upset if somebody else shows up to play in cargo shorts, that means you're the one with the problem.

But you can get a pair of golf shorts for less than that considerably. Im not saying one is right or wrong, but the cost can be similar.

If a guys wants to wear them, go for it, but I don't on the course for comfort reasons.
I don't wear cargo shorts while playing golf, but I do where them out for the extra pockets. It doesn't bother me too much to see them on the golf course, I care more about how someone acts more than what they are wearing. I played a round at Cog Hill last year with a guy who wore very nice dress shorts with zipper pocket on the thigh but they were not baggy cargo shorts. The pro shop gave him a hard time and they weren't going to let him out.

That being said, those who are OK with cargo shorts do you have an issue when people wear jeans? Where do you draw the line on what to wear?

I've played in jeans before as a last second "I want to golf" decision. It was strange but around here no-one has a problem with it.

In the winter when I play in the low 40's I will form time to time too, but I'm always the only guy out there then too so I could care less.

I've played in jeans before as a last second "I want to golf" decision. It was strange but around here no-one has a problem with it.

In the winter when I play in the low 40's I will form time to time too, but I'm always the only guy out there then too so I could care less.

Same here, I see guys at my club golfing in workout gear.

I play in jeans quite often. I wear slacks to work, so outside of work. I rock my denim, even if it is on the course. Unless it is a really nice course. HAHA

Jeans are fine, depending on the course. The course dictates what is and is not acceptable.

But you can get a pair of golf shorts for less than that considerably. Im not saying one is right or wrong, but the cost can be similar.

Really? That peaked my interest. I want to know wear, so I can pick some up. Everywhere near me that I have found golf shorts at, they are all super pricey.

Really? That peaked my interest. I want to know wear, so I can pick some up. Everywhere near me that I have found golf shorts at, they are all super pricey.

Its all about shopping around (and our handy deal of the day thread! lol), JB proved that to me. I'm a convert on the shorts front.

Look around at discount stores as well as many stores online. Heck TGW has golf shorts all the time for $25 and blind9 and others such as Amazon and other places have tons of shorts for $20 all the time.

I found UA golf shorts on sale for 25. 50% off.

Look around at discount stores as well as many stores online. Heck TGW has golf shorts all the time for $25 and blind9 and others such as Amazon and other places have tons of shorts for $20 all the time.

Awesome news there.

Even if I load up on golf shorts, I will still on occasion wear cargos to the course.

I don't wear cargo shorts while playing golf, but I do where them out for the extra pockets. It doesn't bother me too much to see them on the golf course, I care more about how someone acts more than what they are wearing. I played a round at Cog Hill last year with a guy who wore very nice dress shorts with zipper pocket on the thigh but they were not baggy cargo shorts. The pro shop gave him a hard time and they weren't going to let him out.

If you want to wear painter pants, overalls, jeans, cargo shorts, or a 3 piece suit I don't care. Nothing ripped or torn or with holes. No speedos, no sleeveless shirts, no cracks showing when you are standing up. In short not much of an issue with jeans, none in fact, and honestly I probably wouldn't be able to tell you what any one person was wearing 10 seconds after they walk by, I really don't care and I pay no attention to it.

Check out sale racks at local stores.. I just bought a pair of 80 dollar Puma golf pants for 23 bucks at Golf Galaxy on clearance.

Dick's Sporting Goods almost always has Slazenger golf shorts for 25 bucks a pair and I love the few that I have. Same basic material as the top tier golf brands, and feel great in the heat.

Also, I probably posted in this thread before but here's my current stance. Cargo shorts look too casual for a private course, or a very nice public, but it looks no worse than a player without their shirt tucked in, in my opinion. I used to wear cargo shorts on the course (in college) but I now won't be caught dead wearing them on the course. It has a lot to do with the weight and the obstructions while putting, but also lots to do with the fact that I love putting together a great looking outfit for golf.

In terms of frowning upon it, if it's not against club policy, I don't care. I am FAR more worried about whether a player is respectful to his group and pace of play than I am whether he's rocking the cargos. It is what it is.

Awesome news there.

Even if I load up on golf shorts, I will still on occasion wear cargos to the course.

I guess the argument has little to do with price and more to do with preference then.

Also, I probably posted in this thread before but here's my current stance. Cargo shorts look too casual for a private course, or a very nice public, but it looks no worse than a player without their shirt tucked in, in my opinion. I used to wear cargo shorts on the course (in college) but I now won't be caught dead wearing them on the course. It has a lot to do with the weight and the obstructions while putting, but also lots to do with the fact that I love putting together a great looking outfit for golf.

In terms of frowning upon it, if it's not against club policy, I don't care. I am FAR more worried about whether a player is respectful to his group and pace of play than I am whether he's rocking the cargos. It is what it is.

This is a great post.

I agree with Canadan. Great post.

Personally, I am more worried about my game than what others are wearing.

Believe me, we all have our preconceived notions and I am no different, but I have learned that there isn't any type of attire that is correlated with bad (or slow) play.

A couple of years ago I got paired with a guy who was wearing cargo shorts, a hawaiian flower shirt and flip flops, yes flip flops. I thought to myself "great, this is going to be a long round". Boy was I wrong. He whooped me! He was very good and had no control issues playing in flip flops (think Freddy Couples' swing). Also, he was a very fast player (who isn't when they're in the FW and on the GIR all day!) so no issues there either. I leaned my lesson that day and try not to worry about what others are wearing since.

I'm looking to get away from the cargos when I lose my extra weight. I have no problem wearing pants or golf shorts. Mine is a body/mental issue. I am usually untucked and in cargos because I am uncomfortable with my weight at times. But in all honesty I don't mind the cargos on other people, Its just a matter of respect for the game and proper play. Don't hold me up and always replace your divots or ball marks. As long as you follow the course rules and dress code, I don't see a problem. There is a private club in my area that only allows solid colors for your clothing, so it really is up to the course not other golfers to deem what is proper attire.

I must say I am really surprised at some of the stances on this issue. Some won't be caught dead in them, other hate well dressed PGA mannequins. Some think it reflects a sense of Muni and others embrace the comfort they provide.
As I said before, I don't think they are proper golf attire. But if rock them or want to rock them and it's not against the rules, have at it. I'll tee it up with you. But some of you are so unbending on your stance, for and against. Can't we all just get along!!!
I bet the OEMs start making them and then everyone will be rocking tech cargos, watch it's going to happen

Kongfrontation

I must say I am really surprised at some of the stances on this issue. Some won't be caught dead in them, other hate well dressed PGA mannequins. Some think it reflects a sense of Muni and others embrace the comfort they provide.
As I said before, I don't think they are proper golf attire. But if rock them or want to rock them and it's not against the rules, have at it. I'll tee it up with you. But some of you are so unbending on your stance, for and against. Can't we all just get along!!!
I bet the OEMs start making them and then everyone will be rocking tech cargos, watch it's going to happen

Kongfrontation

+10 points for original thought and correct spelling of the word "Mannequin"

Once Rickie and Rory start wearing them alot of people will be singing a different tune.

Right, just like all the new "casual" golf shoes that are coming out. Until something that is not traditional is made by Nike, Ashworth, Adidas, FootJoy, etc, it is going to be looked down upon by most golfers as non-golf appropriate. Times they are achangin'.

Back