Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ogio Grom XX vs. Sun Mountain Hybrid/Four 5

Mini Tour Player
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Love the 4.5. Just switched from the Ogio Grom to it. If you have big shoulders, the 4.5 has a ton more adjustment space....

2014 Morgan Cup Wicked Cool Bearded Man's Avatar
    Handicap
    6.8 GHIN
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,306 Times in 1,436 Posts
    I own the Four 5 and love it - just bought one of my groomsmen the hybrid and he loves it. Never had a Ogio, but I know for a fact that I love Sun Mountain bags. They are very sturdy and versitile. You can't go wrong with anything from them.
    Z 545 Driver 9.5 Black Tie X-stiff

Z F45 3W 588 5W Black Tie X-stiff

588 20.5 hybrid Altus X-stiff

Z 545 5 - PW 6.5

RTX 2.0 Wedges 51, 56 and 60 Spinner Shafts

Smart Square

Z star XV Ball

Handicap
    N/A
    Thanks
    After owning the Ogio Exo stand bag for the past 6 years, I decided to get a new bag and picked up the Ogio Grom XX over the SM Hybrid after comparing them in-store. However, after I put all my gears in the bag, I find the Ogio to be quite heavy and the clubs looked very cramp in the bag (this is after about 30 mins of trying different club layout configurations). I did not like the new diamond shape 14 clubs configuration of the Ogio, ideally I would like the Woode system with 14 club dividers. So, after two days of staring at it, I decided to take it back and exchange it for the SM Hybrid to try. I couldn't have been more happy with the SM Hybrid. Not only does it feel lighter (I know the Hybrid weights less than the Grom XX to begin with) after loading all my gears but the most important thing to me was that visually and physically, my clubs look more spaced out and it was so much easier for me to reach and grab the clubs out of the bag. Also, the top two slots on bag can easily fit 3 clubs and a putter, which free up two individual slots where I can carry extra clubs that I want to play with at the range.

Overall, I think the Ogio Grom XX is still a nice bag and a bag that I wanted to love, but the SM Hybrid just fit my criteria better. Also, I like the color scheme for the SM Hybrid better than the Ogio Grom XX.
    In my Hybrid bag:

• Driver: SQ Dymo Driver 9.5o
    • Fairway Wood: R9 3 Wood 15o
    • Hybrids: Fybrid 19.5o, Idea A7 22o
    • Irons: JPX 800 5i, JPX 800 Pro 6i - GW
    • Wedges: MP T-11 54o, 56o, 60o
    • Putter: FGP
    • Balls: E6 Golf Balls

Go CHIEFS
    Handicap
    19th Hole
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 963 Posts
    I like both, but probably put a C130 to use with a Click.

Handicap
    Thanks
    I have the Hybrid and like it so far. It isn't really heavy and it offers just enough pockets for a carry bag. It fits well on a cart too, but I still prefer my C130 when I ride. The range finder pocket is a nice touch as well.

John Deere Tap'n
    R11s 10.5* w/ Attas T3
    XCG6 15*
    Mashie F5 & M3
    R11 5-PW
    1018 50* 56* 60* w/ Customs
    Spider S Slant
    Penta TP5

Handicap
    USGA 12.8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,149 Times in 1,742 Posts
    I took the Grom out today for its inaugural 9. It was a breeze to carry. Definitely did not feel the extra weight. At all. The shoulders straps were very comfortable. My back doesn't hurt at all.

I love the diamond configuration. I've got the driver at the top, 3 wood at the bottom and hybrids on the sides. This leaves the outer portion for all irons. I have mine organized sequentially right to left - in other words loooking at the bag the 5i is upper right then working your way down the 9i is at the bottom then coming up the left side the wedges fill the slots. I love how organized this is, I never have to search for a club and everything is so easy to find.

Also, I played in rain and hail today. I broke out the rain cover. It snapped on easily, stayed in place, kept everyting covered but still allowed access to the clubs. Really good stuff.

I'm sure the 4.5 is a fine bag but there's no reason to avoid the Grom, you will be very happy with it too.
    Driver: R1 Black - Aldila RIP Phenom 58g, stiff
    Fairway Wood: G20 3W - TFC 169F, stiff
    Hybrids: RazrX, 3h,4h, stiff stock
    Irons: i25 4 - SW, TFC 189I, Stiff
    Wedges: J40 58* - DG Spinner
    Putter: Counter Balanced PCB

Handicap
    Thanks
    I used to have an Ogio stand bag, now I have the Sun Mountain Superlight 3.5

No offense to anyone, but I feel like Sun Mountain makes bags for people who are a little more serious with golf (please dont kill me anyone)

The Ogio bags overhelm me... its a golf bag not a living room. I dont need 4 freezer pockets, 3 drink holders and all those other unnecessary things. But the worst thing is that all there bags weigh as much as me... what good is a stand bag if by the back 9 my back is shot?

The Sun Mountain bags have all the features I need but they also make it so the bag can easily be carried... It still has a water bottle holder and more pockets than I need but it doesnt distract me with all that nonsense.

Allows me to go out there and just focus on the game
    Sun Mountain Superlight 3.5 stand bag
    Ping G10 w/ Grafalloy Pro Launch Red
    Taylormade Superfast 3W 15* w/ Matrix Ozik
    Taylormade 19* Burner hybrid
    Taylormade 22* Burner hybrid
    Taylormade Tour Burners 5-AW
    Callaway X forged 54*/15 (MD grooves)
    Callaway X forged 58*/10 (MD grooves)
    Odyssey #9 33"
    Bushnell V2 Rangefinder

Go CHIEFS
    Handicap
    19th Hole
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 963 Posts
    The hybrid and Grom are both sweet bags and have looked at a variety of them trying to decide. IMHO, for me that is, I'm looking at the C130 big time for two reasons. It has the features I'm looking for in a bag that rides well in a cart, but also rides well on a push cart. The walking 18 I love to do, but carry 18 I wish I had figured out many years ago that it takes a toll. Nothing you can feel during the years you are huffing that bag (and it's nothing to do that as a young buck), and I can't really speak to playing a lot of golf and doing the carry. After 8 years of pole vaulting through high school and college, father time is reminding me it is time to pay! I enjoyed my younger years splitting a grain truck full of wood to get us through the winter and the discipline my father instilled in me, but take care of yourself. I wouldn't have traded any aspect of hard work that today's young have never experienced, but do it wisely.

EDIT: I have an old OGIO bag with the Woode system, but within that configuration, it has undulations within the various cavity's if you will that hold the iron shafts somewhat in place. Not like the new versions that have a smooth surface within the cavity. It helps with keeping the shafts aligned, but they still get tangled at times within.

Wow, how did i go there from a golf bag? Guess I never thought of a pull/push cart as an option back then...wish I would have.

Handicap
    Thanks
    I am just torn on buying a new bag. I am not sure between the 4.5 and the new Hybrid. Please Help!!
    In my 4.5 Bag

Driver: R9 TP 10.5o
    Wood: R11 15.5o
    Hybrids: RAM #3 21o
    RAM #4 25o

Irons: Diablo Edge 5i - AP
    Wedges: Maxfli 60o
    Putter: White Ice #1
    Balls: ProV

Catch ya on the flip side FrankA's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Conner View Post
    I am just torn on buying a new bag. I am not sure between the 4.5 and the new Hybrid. Please Help!!
    I have a hybrid and I think it's the perfect bag. I don't carry but I walk with it on a cart and ride. I love the stand for the range. The opening is huge and so are the pockets. I think the 4.5 is nearly the size but a little smaller for near the same money.
    G25 D 9.5*
    STAGE 2 15*
    G25 4W 3H 4H
    G25 5-PW
    50* 56*
    GOLO 34"

Handicap
    Thanks
    I researched a lot before picking up a bag. I ended up with the Ogio Ozone XX but considered the Grom. I ended getting the Ozone XX new for a steal but it's hard to go wrong with an Ogio bag!
    Driver: Diablo Octane 9.5
    3 Wood:
    Speedline Fast 12
    Hybrid:
    VR 3 21*
    Irons:
    Diable Edge 4-AW
    Putter: RAY COOK
    M1-A
    Bag:
    Ozone XX
    Golf Ball: Warbird Plus
    Cigar: Drew Estate FFP

Handicap
    Hack
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Conner View Post
    I have the Hybrid bag for this season and have yet to find something I don't like on it. When I walk I use a push cart so don't worry too much about the size / weight. Clubs go in and out easily, material seems very durable, and plenty of pockets for what I need. I do wish the water bottle pocket was a little more insulated but that's nick picking at this point. I have the blue and green one, and love the looks. Stand function works great on the range or in the house etc. and is a great option for a larger bag.
    Driver: 913
    Wood: 913 Fd
    Hybrid: X2 Hot 19*
    Hybrid: XTD TI 23o
    Irons: J40 DPC
    Wedge: 588 RTX CB 50o & 54o
    Wedge: 58o
    Putter: mFGP2

Chronic gear flipper ironcondor's Avatar
    Handicap
    GHIN 14.9
    Thanks
    Was doing a search and this is one of the latest threads I found. Resurrecting it as I am seriously looking at a Four 5 (considering also Ogio Gotham, Grom). I like the hybrid but it's only a single strap - I don't carry often, but I still walk 18 occasionally so a single strap is out of the question for that.

Those of you with Four 5's - do you still like it? Holding up nicely? They look like good bags.
    -----------------------------------------------
    In my Four-5 bag:

Big Bertha 10.5*; Diamana S+ 62
    X2 Hot 3W
    APEX 5-AW, 6.0 Flighted 95
    Mashie 2H
    Vokey SM4 54-14, 58-12
    Golo 5
    SR2

Handicap
    Thanks
    Still working like a champ. Typical trunk chatter and rub from being in the sun mountain 4 wheel push cart but otherwise still looks great. I walk a lot as we'll and love the straps. the room and pockets are great. It's pretty light for the clubs in there.

Tapatalk on iPhone4S
    In my Four 5 stand bag on my red Microcart:
    909D2 9.5* Diamana Blue 65-Stiff
    Speedline Fast 10 3w 15* Wasabi 70-Stiff
    Rescue Mid 3 19* Stiff
    MP-63 4-PW Tour Customs Firm in White

48, 52, 56, 60 Wedges
    Classic 2 Putter 34"
    Penta

GolfCard Pro and GolfShot GPS for iPhone

Spoiler
    http://gplus.to/jeremyheslop | http://twitter.com/jeremyheslop | http://oobgolf.com/golfers/jeremyheslop

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jeremyheslop For This Useful Post:

ironcondor (06-03-2014)

Chronic gear flipper ironcondor's Avatar
    Handicap
    GHIN 14.9
    Thanks
    That's what I was hoping to hear; thanks
    -----------------------------------------------
    In my Four-5 bag:

Big Bertha 10.5*; Diamana S+ 62
    X2 Hot 3W
    APEX 5-AW, 6.0 Flighted 95