Ping G20 Driver Review

Haha!

I'll always give a stock shaft a go in a driver. Benefits to doing my own work is its a no risk tryout, if I don't like it I just switch it out. I'm intrigued thought with how on their game PING has been with picking a great shaft to match the heads.

This I agree with. Really the only thing I've found not my liking is the stock grip.

This I agree with. Really the only thing I've found not my liking is the stock grip.

I'm not a big stock grip guy anyways. I do have a VDR sitting over yonder.....are things falling into place?

Someone buy my hybrids!

That grip is awful, I'm not picky and that group went after one round.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

I'm not a big stock grip guy anyways. I do have a VDR sitting over yonder.....are things falling into place?

Someone buy my hybrids!

Sure sounds like it.

Agree Wake. I can usually tolerate stock grips but Nike and Ping are my least favorites.

This one is eating away at me badly at the moment. Should have stayed out of this thread!

10.5 or 9.5 would be the question though. Indeed that would be the question.

This one is eating away at me badly at the moment. Should have stayed out of this thread!

9.5 all day man.

Go 10.5! This head doesn't have much spin in it at all. I play 10.5 and if my ball was spinning any less I'd start losing distance I think. Then again I'm a low launch/spin hitter with the ol' 1 wood.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

I had the pleasure of hitting this last week when I was visiting Denver. I was at the PGA Superstore and they had a 9.5 available to hit. I was hitting it crazy straight, but I was signing the ball. My launch angle was around 18.5*. The fitter said that the CG is really low on this one, so it gets the ball up quick. He recommended that I go with an 8.5*. I know you are a fellow C-Taper user, so I thought this was good info.

I'm hitting the 9.5 a little low right now. Might return it for the 10.5

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I had the pleasure of hitting this last week when I was visiting Denver. I was at the PGA Superstore and they had a 9.5 available to hit. I was hitting it crazy straight, but I was signing the ball. My launch angle was around 18.5*. The fitter said that the CG is really low on this one, so it gets the ball up quick. He recommended that I go with an 8.5*. I know you are a fellow C-Taper user, so I thought this was good info.

Tis excellent info good sir. Thank you!

I seem to remember you saying in the past you typically get high spin. If so I would go with the 9.5, this thing launches the ball high, you shouldn't have any problems getting the ball up.

I seem to remember you saying in the past you typically get high spin. If so I would go with the 9.5, this thing launches the ball high, you shouldn't have any problems getting the ball up.

Indeed I do. I'm typically a 10.5 with a low launch/spin shaft guy but the build of the G20 has me thinking 9.5 for sure.

Found a whale of a deal on one, but its in the "Tour" shaft in X...not so sure about that even though I do play some shafts in X, I'd be afraid the stiffer tip of the Tour in X with the 9.5 might not work too well....hell I don't know.

Breezey talked me down....for now LOL.

I don't need it at the moment, but if I run upon a good deal in the coming weeks I'm sure I'll jump.

Indeed I do. I'm typically a 10.5 with a low launch/spin shaft guy but the build of the G20 has me thinking 9.5 for sure.

Found a whale of a deal on one, but its in the "Tour" shaft in X...not so sure about that even though I do play some shafts in X, I'd be afraid the stiffer tip of the Tour in X with the 9.5 might not work too well....hell I don't know.

Let the numbers do the talkin!

Local golf shop had 9.5* and 10.5* left hand heads to demo. I tried the 10.5 with the stock regular shaft at the range. I got a nice straight to slight fade but launch angle was too high. Went back and tried 9.5 with reg flex and 10.5 with stiff (non tour) shaft. 10.5 w/stiff shaft was best flight I have ever gotten with a driver. Ball goes up and just keeps going. I am coming from a Cobra Speed LD with a Axivcore blue shaft. It was hard to tell where the head was with the Cobra, felt too light. The Ping G20 just feels right, it seems you can't miss with a good swing.

Yep, other benefit to not knee jerk buying, I can go hit it a few times.

When I got the K15 last year it must have taken me 2 months to get it together. Mind blowing options out there just from Ping alone. When I was told I could any shaft made, through special order, that set me waaaay back lol.

Think you'll be happy. Big bonus for me is how good it is on a not-so-good swing - definitely not "can't miss" but I continue to be amazed at the forgiveness.

Local golf shop had 9.5* and 10.5* left hand heads to demo. I tried the 10.5 with the stock regular shaft at the range. I got a nice straight to slight fade but launch angle was too high. Went back and tried 9.5 with reg flex and 10.5 with stiff (non tour) shaft. 10.5 w/stiff shaft was best flight I have ever gotten with a driver. Ball goes up and just keeps going. I am coming from a Cobra Speed LD with a Axivcore blue shaft. It was hard to tell where the head was with the Cobra, felt too light. The Ping G20 just feels right, it seems you can't miss with a good swing.

For the 7 holes I actually played golf, completed all 18 but only really played 7, I hit this very well. I even got off a 270 yard bomb. Mid trajectory that rolled out.

Tapatalk

think that could be the shaft helping cause that?

I'm hitting the 9.5 a little low right now. Might return it for the 10.5

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I've got the K15 currently but am really itching to try out the G20.

Yep, other benefit to not knee jerk buying, I can go hit it a few times.

Indeed.
See if you can find a driver fitting chart. I think a 9.5 with a RIP Alpha 60 or VTS Silver could be a winner for you

I tried the G20 a number of times in 10.5 and found it gave me a bit more distance than my current K15 but also gave me a bigger fade. My K15 is a 9.5 and gives me a nice gentle fade that i like. Both had stock Ping R flex shafts. I need to find a G20 9.5 I can try for further pondering...

think that could be the shaft helping cause that?

Yeah I definitely think the shaft is too stiff for me. I'm going to hit a few of them on the monitor and do an exchange. I thought I purchased the 10.5 but I walked out with the 9.5

Yeah I definitely think the shaft is too stiff for me. I'm going to hit a few of them on the monitor and do an exchange. I thought I purchased the 10.5 but I walked out with the 9.5

Lol that's what you get when you angry oem something

Back