Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen to that. I'm just waiting for tomorrow!

TV Schedule

Cant wait to be back in the Stadium. Kickoff cant get here soon enough.

CaNUFeel it? GBR!

It's getting close to Hog calling time!

First games of the season are tonight!

Wonder if this thread will get crazy again? Angry fans mauling people after games and what not :D

Here's hoping my alma mater can go back to their winning ways in 2011.

Gorillas Ready to Open 2011 Season at Western Thursday

PITTSBURG, KS — The Pittsburg State University football team travel to St. Joseph, Mo., Thursday (Sept. 1) to face Missouri Western State University in the season opener for both schools. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. (CDT) at MWSU’s Spratt Memorial Stadium.

Pittsburg State, the winningest all-time NCAA Division II program, returns 17 starters (nine offense, eight defense) from a 2010 squad that posted a 6-6 record, including a 13-9 victory over Concordia-St. Paul in the Mineral Water Bowl.

Western is coming off an 8-4 record including an appearance in the NCAA Division II national playoffs. The Griffons return 15 starters (eight offense, seven defense) from last year’s squad.

The Gorillas and the Griffons will meet in a season opener for just the second time among 36 previous match-ups. Pitt State blanked Western, 33-0, in Pittsburg on Sept. 11, 1971, during an 8-1-1 campaign that year.

PSU’s Regular Season Success
Pitt State has won 240 of its last 282 regular season games, posting a phenomenal 240-40-2 (.855) mark during the past 26 seasons (1985-2010).

PSU is 135-11-1 at home, 101-22-1 on the road and 3-7-0 at neutral sites in the regular season during that span.

Pitt State has been ranked in Division II’s top 10 79 times in the last 153 polls and the Gorillas have been ranked in the top 25 poll in 129 of 153 weeks overall (dating back to the 1999 season), but Pitt State has been uncharacteristically absent from the top 25 for 22 consecutive weeks.

The Gorillas had been ranked among the top 25 teams in the AFCA Top 25 Poll for 106 consecutive weeks, including preseason and final polls, before falling from the national list for the first time on Nov. 6, 2007. Pitt State was the only Division II program to be ranked in all 106 polls since the AFCA began administering the Top 25 poll in 1999. Pitt State started the 2011 season among “others receiving votes” in the initial poll.

resize_image

http://www.pittstategorillas.com/home/detail.dot?id=359850

Wonder if this thread will get crazy again? Angry fans mauling people after games and what not :D

I'm going to the ECU vs USC game this weekend, we are probably 40 point underdogs. I'll keep you posted on official knock out times if needed. :act-up:

Its the same every year. Some people will just never understand.

Happy Badger gameday! In just a few short hours UNLV will rue the day that they set foot on Camp Randall Stadium! Go Bucky and on, Wisconsin!!!

Badgers running game is just ridiculous. 120 yards in the first quarter. Now I know its against UNLV but ball and white are making it look easy.

Georgia Bulldogs vs Boise State this Saturday! The Dawgs will have to hunker down to have a chance in this game... I worry for Richt's future as they play South Carolina the following week which is supposed to be a powerhouse in the SEC this year. Two tough games in a row might do him in....

Badgers running game is just ridiculous. 120 yards in the first quarter. Now I know its against UNLV but ball and white are making it look easy.

As an O-Line coach, the Badger line is just SO damn fun to watch. Big, athletic, nasty, the true workhorses of that offense. Love it.

Georgia Bulldogs vs Boise State this Saturday! The Dawgs will have to hunker down to have a chance in this game... I worry for Richt's future as they play South Carolina the following week which is supposed to be a powerhouse in the SEC this year. Two tough games in a row might do him in....

I am a UGA homer all the way, but I don't think we will lose both of these games nor do I think we will win both, not sure which we win and which we lose, but I personally think South Crackyolina will be the tougher test.

I am a UGA homer all the way, but I don't think we will lose both of these games nor do I think we will win both, not sure which we win and which we lose, but I personally think South Crackyolina will be the tougher test.

Boise State is ranked #7 in the country this year Dawg. You still think we can hang with them?

Boise State is ranked #7 in the country this year Dawg. You still think we can hang with them?

Wayyyyyyyyy better than a #7 ranking would dictate, if I were a gambler I would take the points.

As an O-Line coach, the Badger line is just SO damn fun to watch. Big, athletic, nasty, the true workhorses of that offense. Love it.
Thats Big Ten football for ya. Not much high-flying passing attack. You just have the offensive line battle the defensive line and the running backs try to find the holes.
Its going to be interesting to see how Wilson handles playing in the Big Ten. Im a little worried about his durability considering how little he is and how he is used to playing in the ACC but I have faith.
The key is going to be the Nebraska game. If they dont beat Nebraska, no of the rest of what they do matters.

Gorillas Turn In Dominant Effort in 34-7 Season-Opening Win

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. -- Sophomore transfer John Brown returned a punt 84 yards for a touchdown four minutes into the contest, sparking Pitt State to a 34-7 season-opening victory over Missouri Western at Spratt Memorial Stadium.

Quarterback Zac Dickey carried the ball 15 times for 117 yards with a 44-yard touchdown pass and he completed 11 of 17 passes for 114 yards as the Gorillas (1-0) piled up 426 yards of total offense against the Griffons (0-1).

Solomon Watkins and Briceton Wilson added short runs as Pitt State built a 28-0 halftime advantage. Watkins scored from four yards out with 7:05 to play in the second quarter and Wilson punched it in from a yard out with 10 seconds remaining in the half.

Watkins' score came two plays after Dickey connected with Brown on a 44-yard completion to the Western 6. Wilson had a team-leading 17 carries for 86 yards in the game, while Jason Spradling added 64 yards on 11 carries. Chase McCoy added field goals of 22 yards in the third quarter and 38 yards midway through the fourth quarter for Pitt State's final points.

The Pitt State defense, which registered five quarterback sacks, intercepted two passes and recovered two fumbles, limited the Griffons to 112 rushing yards and 191 total yards. Western got 60 of those yards on one play with Dominic Thomas breaking a 60-yard touchdown run with 1:52 remaining in the game to break up the Gorillas' shutout bid.

Gus Toca led the Pitt State defense with six tackles, 2.5 TFLs including 2.0 quarterback sacks, and a forced fumble. Elijah Olabode added two tackles, an interceptions, a fumble recovery and a pass break-up.

The Gorillas return to Pittsburg for the home opener next Saturday (Sept. 10) against MIAA rival Emporia State. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. (CDT) at Brandenburg Field/Carnie Smith Stadium.

http://www.pittstategorillas.com/home/detail.dot?id=360461

Impressive start for your school there Smallie, keep us posted on their season.

hope penn state can turn it around this year. Their Qb situation has me worried!

I had forgotten how much I really dislike Mark May and Lou Holtz.

You mean Lou Holtthhh?

All jokes aside about his speech impetiment, which is ridiculous in a broadcast job, the man is absolutely insane. The things he says just make you want to cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back