2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.7 lbs away from 100. Just went through my closet and donated about 3/4 of my clothes. Down a full 2 sizes in shirts and almost 5 sizes in pants. Such an amazing feeling.

Two pounds?! Get it done my friend. Don't let 1.7 stinking pounds be the difference!

Eat right, exercise. Colon blow

Well, this is interesting. It is very true but I think it gets to why you are working out. For me, I have never specifically worked out for a specific sport. Physically, I never had the luxury to do that. I was always undersized and underweight and thus had to train very hard to keep up. My main goal as far as training - which I still live by today is to become as fit as I can for the time I can put in in the gym. Personally, my life has changed with the birth of my daughter. At this time, I have to pick and choose when I can workout. Right now, I am able to do much more lifting than cardio, even though it is for short time periods. I totally agree with you, but I would say that it is different for everyone and what their individual goals are.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a general fitness guy. My main workout was hang squat cleans and pull ups for 12 minutes. But afterwards, once I'm loose and relaxed, I'm trying to carve out 5 or 10 minutes at the end of my workouts to get in more work on a sort of range of motion I haven't really targeted before, and that's largely due to a swing change that's working for me.

And trust me, I totally understand trying to squeeze in workouts around kids. I think if the Army didn't make me show up at 5 in the morning for PT I'd probably work out less, but that's also about the only time my kids are asleep.

1.7 lbs away from 100. Just went through my closet and donated about 3/4 of my clothes. Down a full 2 sizes in shirts and almost 5 sizes in pants. Such an amazing feeling.

Buddy this is unreal. I can not WAIT to see you in July.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a general fitness guy. My main workout was hang squat cleans and pull ups for 12 minutes. But afterwards, once I'm loose and relaxed, I'm trying to carve out 5 or 10 minutes at the end of my workouts to get in more work on a sort of range of motion I haven't really targeted before, and that's largely due to a swing change that's working for me.

And trust me, I totally understand trying to squeeze in workouts around kids. I think if the Army didn't make me show up at 5 in the morning for PT I'd probably work out less, but that's also about the only time my kids are asleep.

Totally agree my good man. Totally agree. And I think you are absolutely correct in your previous statement - in that we could be getting more for our golf game from our training. It's just whether or not you can put that extra bit into it.

Wow! So excited I found this thread. I started working out last year and I'm in exponentially better shape than I was last year. Including added distance to my golf games (WOOHOO)! I am still exercising regularly, however I've fell off the wagon a little on the diet. I am committed to getting back on the horse starting January (I mean with the holidays and everything, c'mon - it also doesn't help that the lady in the office across from me has had phenomenal baked goods out everyday for the last two weeks and I don't see it stopping until Xmas).

I love all of the input so far and I will definitely be a regular contributor starting in January. As a side note any good back strengthening/flexibility excercise recommendations?

Thanks!

PS I'm a huge lover of the Yoga!

Wow! So excited I found this thread. I started working out last year and I'm in exponentially better shape than I was last year. Including added distance to my golf games (WOOHOO)! I am still exercising regularly, however I've fell off the wagon a little on the diet. I am committed to getting back on the horse starting January (I mean with the holidays and everything, c'mon - it also doesn't help that the lady in the office across from me has had phenomenal baked goods out everyday for the last two weeks and I don't see it stopping until Xmas).

I love all of the input so far and I will definitely be a regular contributor starting in January. As a side note any good back strengthening/flexibility excercise recommendations?

Thanks!

For me and my back, I do three common things (among others): 1) the bridge (without any support like a ball); 2) pullups; and 3) twist-hold --sometimes called spine-twist-- (I cannot fully do this yet).

Thanks!

I'm a huge fan of body weight stuff - pull ups of various kinds do wonders from a strength and flexibility stand point. Welcome to the thread and to THP!!

Dev, that is awesome bro! Congrats dude.

Two pounds?! Get it done my friend. Don't let 1.7 stinking pounds be the difference!

Eat right, exercise. Colon blow

Lmao at colon blow, almost spit coffee all over my phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome job Dev! Shred those last 2 lbs

Three days back in the gym in a row this week till life got in the way yesterday. Hoping to get there today or tonight. How's everyone's workout week going?

Three days back in the gym in a row this week till life got in the way yesterday. Hoping to get there today or tonight. How's everyone's workout week going?

Going to this small chain of gyms today called Velocity Sports. They have what seems to be a very good program tailored to golf. I looked into Titleist Performance Institute guys around here but the workouts seem to be very low key which I don't like. I want to really feel like I accomplished something after a workout. The guys at Velocity are movement based and incorporate Olympic lifts which I enjoy doing. Besides that I've just been working on cardio with a few 3-4 miles runs this week.

Going to this small chain of gyms today called Velocity Sports. They have what seems to be a very good program tailored to golf. I looked into Titleist Performance Institute guys around here but the workouts seem to be very low key which I don't like. I want to really feel like I accomplished something after a workout. The guys at Velocity are movement based and incorporate Olympic lifts which I enjoy doing. Besides that I've just been working on cardio with a few 3-4 miles runs this week.

Sounds great broski. I love Olympic lifts as well. Smaller gyms have a much more personal feel.

I have decent core strength but am always wanting to improve that.
Here is my current core routine which I do at end of my workouts EOD.
I am wanting to focus a little more on lower ab area, give me some ideas to add to what i do now.
I do all of these in sets of 3.
rope crunches 12 to 15 reps with 60 lbs
ball twists (do them on a decline bench in a crunch position with a 6lb ball) to failure
hanging leg raises to failure
planks to failure
ball crunches to failure.

I have decent core strength but am always wanting to improve that.
Here is my current core routine which I do at end of my workouts EOD.
I am wanting to focus a little more on lower ab area, give me some ideas to add to what i do now.
I do all of these in sets of 3.
rope crunches 12 to 15 reps with 60 lbs
ball twists (do them on a decline bench in a crunch position with a 6lb ball) to failure
hanging leg raises to failure
planks to failure
ball crunches to failure.

Looks solid. scissor leg lifts are good also. I also find when I focus on my obliques, my lower abs look better too. Just remember you can't spot reduce - so one of the best ways to reveal the lower abs is in the kitchen and with the cardio.

You hit the nail on the head. no matter how many crunches you do, having visible abs is done at the dinner table!!
I will be 46 next month so I am not so concerned with having a six pack (ok maybe I am fibbing a little lol) my main goal is core strength.
I will add the scissor kicks, thanks for the tip coach :)

Looks solid. scissor leg lifts are good also. I also find when I focus on my obliques, my lower abs look better too. Just remember you can't spot reduce - so one of the best ways to reveal the lower abs is in the kitchen and with the cardio.

Ab workouts are oppsite in theory from normal work outs. All other body parts you have to mix up the type of workouts, tje order amd rep scheme to maimtain muscle confusion to keep growing. Abs you have to work out in specific order... always lower ab first, then obliques then upper abs. You have to understand that in order to do lower ab excercises like leg lifts your body uses lower ans AND upper abs. When doing oblique crunches you body uses obliques AND upper abs. To do regular crunches you body only uses upper abs. So if you blast off a bunch of crunches then try to do leg lifts, your upper abs are tired and you wont get the maximum workout on your lower abs. Ever noticed how many people have the "two pack" instead of "six pack?"

Also my personal belief is tjat uou treat ab workouts like other body parts. If you are on a one part a day scheme then dedivate abs oneday. Some people do abs every day or every other day... you dont get a six pack by doing the ab workouts... yes you build the muscle under bit to get it to show, simply burn more calories than you intake

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Hitting it hard this week with a 5 day work schedule. Alternated cardio/abs days with strength training days for the first four and so far so good. Recently I've concentrated on developing more leg strength by cutting back on reps and piling on the weight. Since mid September I've managed to increase my 4 rep max squat by 120lbs since September and have gained 15lbs of muscle in the legs and core, all with maintaining my flexibility. Hopefully this will translate to more power and control in my golf swing, I guess I'll find out when I get back to the simulator I. The new year

Going pretty slowly for me. I've been doing 10 strict pull-ups three times a day on top of t25 in the morning, and I feel I am losing a lot of back flexibility.

I think next week will replace one of the pull-up sets with back mobility.
Do you think that would be wise, coach? Or should I devote more time to my back?

Going pretty slowly for me. I've been doing 10 strict pull-ups three times a day on top of t25 in the morning, and I feel I am losing a lot of back flexibility.

I think next week will replace one of the pull-up sets with back mobility.
Do you think that would be wise, coach? Or should I devote more time to my back?

I do. I am a big believer in listening to my body. If something doesn't feel right or feels weak - I ask myself why and try to adjust accordingly. I would increase the stretching and perhaps change up the back routine alittle.

Please note, single leg barbell good mornings are fantastic.

Please note, single leg barbell good mornings are fantastic.

Never even dawned on me to try one legged good mornings, looks like I've got something new to try next strength training day ?

i have been working out weight training cardio since i was 14. i have been trying to increase my flexability lately stretching multiple times a day with no real gains. i think the years of weight training adding muscle have really done too much to make me stiff that im not sure anything will work. im 6'1 210 fairly muscular/bulky. has anyone had any luck doing any type of stretching that works? any help would be great.

Yoga <full stop>

i have been working out weight training cardio since i was 14. i have been trying to increase my flexability lately stretching multiple times a day with no real gains. i think the years of weight training adding muscle have really done too much to make me stiff that im not sure anything will work. im 6'1 210 fairly muscular/bulky. has anyone had any luck doing any type of stretching that works? any help would be great.

Well, I just had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine, who is also my neighbor. I told him I had been selected for the Morgan Cup, and that I wanted his help with my fitness (read: getting in shape) for the event. He responded with, "Ok. But you're going to have to be serious about this."

Oh, and did I mention that the man's retired military? I'm excited...and a tiny bit nervous. Not sure what he has planned, but we'll start at the beginning of 2014. #Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back