Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

Alright, I get it. I'll order a set :)

Just filed taxes. Not getting much back, but coincidence it could cover a set of these? I think not

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Just filed taxes. Not getting much back, but coincidence it could cover a set of these? I think not

#fate

place the order!

#fate

place the order!

You're a wise man.

I need to see if I can find a deal. I wonder if I wait until the season starts if I could grab a lightly used set.

I LOVE the stock recoils.

#ProMove

That's actually the beauty of the Apex. It's like they were designed for those who prefer bottom-groove interaction.

Also -- Bottom Groove Interaction should be the name of a funk band. Awww Yeahhh

Bottom groove excellence you say?! I have a tendency to hit a thin shot and this makes my all the more excited!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Bottom groove excellence you say?! I have a tendency to hit a thin shot and this makes my all the more excited!

They're really nice in that regard.

I had a lot of shots on the range where I said "oh, missed that," and it ended up on target and like five yards short. I've only played 11 holes with them so far, but I've already seen some similar misses on the course.

You're a wise man.

I need to see if I can find a deal. I wonder if I wait until the season starts if I could grab a lightly used set.

I LOVE the stock recoils.

A little cheaper out on the bay currently

I like the way you think. I'm still loving mine. It was a sad day, but my Pings have officially been replaced.

You are on an iron binge! Good luck with these beauties.

I know...but I may have found my "Holy Grail" (bring out your dead) as my shoulder situation had me really jumping around...after my shoudler surgery this year I was trying to come back to what I had been playing in the past or at least some version of it...but as I got a third opinion on my shoulders not too long ago and basically without further surgery (not going there) was told I may have to deal with some pain/discomfort the rest of my life...or sit on the couch and do nothing. Not wanting to give up golf, I started thinking about all my possible solutions and tried a few things to your point...so then I started looking at my options for graphite shafts and tried some others like PING, Cleveland, Mizuno, etc and did not like the resutls or feel...I had actually forgotten about the the Apex and the UST Recoil and then stumbled upon a used set at my local GS so I decided to check them out and then did so on three different occasions at three different golf stores (demos) and kept getting these great results in that they play like my old equipment (tour weighted shafts) but without the shoulder pain of holding onto a 120-130 gram shaft. I really feel good about this move and need to because if this doesn't work I may have to give up the game...and we can't have that!!!

Last edited:
I hate the fact that mine are in my room not able to be used on account of a foot of snow on the ground for more coming. Thank goodness for THP so I can get to Texas in 3 weeks and finally game these!

So just for now, I will live through you guys!

I know...but I may have found my "Holy Grail" (bring out your dead) as my shoulder situation had me really jumping around...after my shoudler surgery this year I was trying to come back to what I had been playing in the past or at least some version of it...but as I got a third opinion on my shoulders not too long ago and basically without further surgery (not going there) was told I may have to deal with some pain/discomfort the rest of my life...or sit on the couch and do nothing. Not wanting to give up golf, I statretd thinking about all my possible solutions and tried a few things to your point...so then I started looking at my options for graphite shafts and tried some others like PING, Cleveland, Mizuno, etc and did not like the resutls or feel...I had actually frogotten about the the Apex and the UST Recoil and the stumbled upon a used set at my local GS so I decided to check them out and then did so on three different occasions at three different golf stores (demos) and kept getting these great results in that they play like my old equipment (tour weighted shafts) but without the shoulder pain of holding onto a 120-130 gram shaft. I really feel good about this move and need to because if this doesn't work I may have to give up the game...and we can't have that!!!

KB - same situation here, ongoing shoulder injury, with an operation 4 years ago (wrist playing up as well)

Which of the recoils did you go in the end ?

That's the reason. Pure and simple.

Admittedly, though, if the Apex looked like GI irons (clunky, etc.), I likely would have opted for the Pros. The Apex are fantastic looking and feeling irons, though. They really are a perfect combination of forgiveness, performance and feel.

The head size is really squat which makes them look a bit more appealing that other GI irons. The top line I'd just right and these thing feel amazing.

I've noticed no distance loss on these thinner shots. Super forgiving all around.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

I should probably stay out of this thread. Every time I check in and read what you guys are saying, I remember how great they felt when I demoed them and get this insatiable urge to just go buy a set. I'm trying to hold off my CPC fitting until around the first of April, and then Callaway could tell me that the X2 Hot is a better fit for me (hope not). I think it's really going to be tough to hold off.

So I was playing around with some of the custom options for these irons and when I was looking at the Factor Installed-Custom shafts I noticed one of the options is the UST Mamiya Recoil 110/95 Graphite. When I was looking at the UST website I noticed there is a Recoil 95, Recoil 110, Recoil 95 Prototype and a Recoil 110 Prototype. Does anyone know exactly what Recoil shaft Callaway is referring to with this custom option?

KB - same situation here, ongoing shoulder injury, with an operation 4 years ago (wrist playing up as well)

Which of the recoils did you go in the end ?

Oh man I hate to hear that...I have been dealing with shoulder issues since 2010 (left shoulder surgery) and had surgery on my right shoulder in 2013.

Any way I started out with the Recoil 660 F3...someone at my local GS had bought a set (4-SW) and within a week or so traded them in...at the time I did not realize they were the regular shaft and actually hit them pretty good...my 6 iron SS rides around 80. However, once I learned about the different Recoil shafts, I wanted to hit the 680 F4 shaft so I went to two different retail golf stores over a week or two period and hit both shafts (F3 & F4) along with iron/shaft combos like the X2 Hot and my old iron TP CB. After my testing, I decided to go with the F4 as there was not much difference in distance, launch height, etc...I just thought the F4 would be better for me outside for dispersion reasons as I use to play KBST, stiff. They both felt great though through impact and both of them worked well with my shoulder issues as I seem to be able to hit longer then usual. Hope this helps!

.... I decided to go with the F4 as there was not much difference in distance, launch height, etc...I just thought the F4 would be better for me outside for dispersion reasons as I use to play KBST, stiff. They both felt great though through impact and both of them worked well with my shoulder issues as I seem to be able to hit longer then usual. Hope this helps!

Yes - defo going to try both 660 and 680.

My swing speed is around 88 for 6 iron. Played DG S300s and DGSL S300 for years, last year got flitted with a "different" monitor (can't remember make/model) which fits you on how much or well you bend the shaft during the swing - NOT on swing speed alone. I was fitted with KBS Tour 90 Regular. Results were great, as I saw at least a 10 yard increase in distance. Anyone else on here ever got fitted with regular with a 88/90 swing speed?

So maybe the F4 soft stepped twice might be the number for me ...

I finally got a chance to hit a six in left hand up here in Canada. Oh,my my ...
these are very sweet feeling irons. I was just received my x hot pro irons a few
weeks ago as part of retirement package . I was quite surprised with the distance
feel and forgiveness with them.
The Apex seems to just have as much or more than the x hot pro .
Hitting these I could when I miss hit a shot ,but results were very not punished much in distance or line .
Distance seemed to just as good as the x hot pro . I also preferred the feel of the Apex plus the offset suits my eye better.

The demo iron had the stock 95 shaft in it . I do seem to like the px 95 flighted shaft in the x hot pro better than true temper.

Anyone using the px flighted in these? Also any lefties looking for a mint set of x hot pros ,, I got to get these Apex Irons !!

gb

Yes - defo going to try both 660 and 680.

My swing speed is around 88 for 6 iron. Played DG S300s and DGSL S300 for years, last year got flitted with a "different" monitor (can't remember make/model) which fits you on how much or well you bend the shaft during the swing - NOT on swing speed alone. I was fitted with KBS Tour 90 Regular. Results were great, as I saw at least a 10 yard increase in distance. Anyone else on here ever got fitted with regular with a 88/90 swing speed?

So maybe the F4 soft stepped twice might be the number for me ...

Interesting...like I said I could probably have played the 660 (F3) but was just worried if I went after one (which I tend to do sometimes) I might spray it a bit more than with the F4...but then again who knows and would it have really been the shafts fault...right? I am actually starting to question the whole "Fitting" process and you may have stumbled upon a good one. For instance I have a buddy who owned a set of Callaway Prototypes (blades) with Nippon regular shafts in them (85 grams?). This was back when I was fitted to play KBST, stiff shafts everywhere I went. Any way I would hit these Prototypes from time to time on the range and on the course and simply fell in love with them. They played about a club short for me but then again they were blade lofts (47 deg PW, etc...) but I could not hit them crooked and they had a very good boring height to them...I actually bought them from him and bagged them for a while...then stupid me got on a distance kick and went and bought some other irons with stronger lofts trying to find more distance...The Apex with the Recoil reminds me of those irons but with more forgiveness (distance control) and some more distance due to stronger lofts so I am really excited about this combo.

I tested several irons and nothing compared to the Apex. Had them custom fitted with Fujikura MCI 100 stiff shafts. They feel and sound incredible. Great accuracy with these shafts. Find a Fujikura dealer and get fitted. Great Irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tested several irons and nothing compared to the Apex. Had them custom fitted with Fujikura MCI 100 stiff shafts. They feel and sound incredible. Great accuracy with these shafts. Find a Fujikura dealer and get fitted. Great Irons.

The "Fujikura MCI 100" - are they on the Callaway shaft option list ? I can't seem to find the complete shat options on online .. Anyone have a link?

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how these perform for me on the simulator this weekend. I'm not so concerned with distance, I swing hard enough for that, but I want increased feel and forgiveness. I think these are winner in that category.

No, I had them ordered separate and had a Fujikura dealer club maker put them together. Cris Cotes Golf Shop can have them built to your specs by mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how these perform for me on the simulator this weekend. I'm not so concerned with distance, I swing hard enough for that, but I want increased feel and forgiveness. I think these are winner in that category.

I'm looking forward to seeing your input Tyler. I really think you'll be impressed with them.

I'm looking forward to seeing your input Tyler. I really think you'll be impressed with them.

He's going to like them. The feel and forgiveness is second to none with these....and that includes the Bio Cell + irons I'm in love with too. I won a set of new MCs that I thought would boot these, but the Apex are back in the bag with my trusty PXis. Heading to indoor league now.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

Some indoor sim action with these tomorrow but I have to take what I can get. Still pondering a shaft change to something more high launching and light weight, but we will see what comes of that. I really think with the different shaft these could easily be long term gamers for me.

Back