What was your first set of clubs?

thebread

professional lurker
Reaction score
Handicap
FIR
Not sure if this thread has been done here before but its always kinda cool to hear about the story behind people's first set...

I got a hand-me-down set of Wilsons (not sure what model or year but the woods were permissions) that I used for one summer when i was much younger. Passed them down to my nephew, pretty sure he still has them and I'm thinking of buying a set and trading them to him for the old set back just for nostalgia reasons.

Lets hear yours!

Jeff

My were RAM Gene Littler Registered 1,3,5 persimmon woods and 3-PW irons. The bag was this old nasty brown leather bag and I had sock head covers. This was a hand me down set from my step-dad's mother.

I shot a 42 on 9 holes with these babies toward the end of my first season (sophomore) on the high school golf team. Needless to say, they didn't make HS golfers like they do now back when I went to HS.

Last edited:
My first time golfing was at a par three muni with borrowed clubs. That was on a Friday afternoon. Saturday morning I was at the local swap meet looking for a set of clubs. I knew nothing about golf clubs, other than I wanted to go golfing again with my own set of clubs. What I settled on was a set of Sam Snead irons, and a couple of wooden woods. This set came complete with a bag, a two wheel trolley, and about 10lbs of rust. The grips were worn, and dried out. But this whole set only cost me $8.00. 2 hours after this amazing purchase, I was back at the par 3 muni, with "my own" clubs. That was 10+ years ago, and obviuously I have since up graded. I still have that first set of clubs just as funny reminder to myself.

When I was a little kid, I had a few different ones. There were a couple of men on my block that played, and cut down a couple of clubs for us kids to play with.

My first 'real' set of clubs, was a set of Acer's (can't remember the model) that were too long for me, I got them in high school. It was an excuse to drink beer in the sunshine with my buddies, so I kept them.

I decided a little over a year ago, that I wanted to pursue my golf game, so I started practicing more, and bought my first good set of clubs (Ping G10's)

My first set was a cut down set of about 3-4 clubs, I couldn't tell you what they were. But after showing an interesting in playing my father gave me his Aluminum shafted Spalding Excutive Blades, and the matching Spalding 1,2,3,4,&5 woods(and I mean wooden "woods") a "dual wedge"(today's gap wedge) and a Ray Cook putter that had to made of aluminum also with 3 slots cut in it that made a loud ping at impact, the markings on the putter were stamped in the bottom of the club. This set was probably from around the early 70's and my dad told me Aluminum shafts were a short lived trend at the time he picked up the set. He gave me the set after he quit playing in the mid 90's and I gamed this set for many years as a poor college student, then I got new clubs but the 4 wood stayed in my bag for a few more years until I found a suitable replacement.

my first set was a set of Wilson Patty Berg blades (womens clubs) when i was like 10 years old in 1978. they were pretty cool though cuz they had all white grips and were the perfect length for me. i used a Wilson 4 wood for a driver until it cracked when I was about 15 and then I bought my first set of Spalding XLD metal woods (1,3,5) which took me to the next level.... memories....scattered pictures....

My first set was a complete set of Sounder Silver Stars. Haven't seen them since, but they were probably the equivalent of the Spalding Executives.

Overall, not good.

My first set was a set that my Uncle built for me. 4-SW and a 3 wood. I used them for about 13 years. I replaced them this year with my x-22's. I'm going to keep the old clubs and maybe get my wife into golf with them.

I still have mine in the garage somewhere. They were a 1988 Dunlop Max 100 box set.

I didn't start playing golf until college, at the urging of a friend who was also just starting. When my dad found out, he gave me his credit card and said "Go buy yourself some clubs. One of my biggest regrets is never learning to play golf because it is so important for business." I was too responsible to go to a golf store and get a "real" set, so I went to the local sporting goods store ("Oshman's, I think) and got these and a crappy carry bag. (Stand bags hadn't hit the market yet.)

Unfortunately, due to lack of money as a poor college kid, I couldn't take lessons. Although I watched Jack Nicklaus' "Golf My Way" videos and read all the magazine tips, I never could get a proper swing. So, after a couple of years, I quit. I played, maybe, 3 times over the next 15 years until 2 1/2 years ago when I decided to start playing again. So I bought another box set, and started taking regular lessons and practicing religiously. After 9 months and more demo days than I can remember, I bought my current clubs.

It hasn't been all that long. I went to eBay and bought a set of faux clubs. Tech Edge, I think they were called. Along with an Odyssey knockoff putter. Steel shafts all around. I wasn't sorry to see them go.

The first set I had were Spalding, I think. It's been so long ago I don't remember. I do know I had persimmon woods and of course the irons were blades. The first set I remember buying myself was a set of Dunlops with metal woods and cavity backs. I just handed them down to my nephew last year and he loves them.

Nike Birdie Blue D, Mid-Iron, PW, Putter.

pr-Golf_Clubs-Nike-Birdie_Blue_5_Piece_Junior_Set-resized200.jpg

1) Old Spalding Set, Wooden Drivers and Woods, they were actually blades.
2) Wilson Junior Set
3) Ram Laser Irons
4) Ping S58's

Wlson Pro Staff

My first set was some form of Wilsons. All the woods had a wooden head, and the irons were all blades. Made approximately 1973, as my dad originally bought them the year I was born from the Navy base store.

Callaway Big Bertha's as a graduation present from post grad school. Pretty good first set. Unfortunately I didn't play very well.

Age 10, Fifa Junior set.

I got my first set at J.C. Penneys in 1978. I don't recall the brand, but the model was "Augusta" (I think). I think the whole set (1-3-5 woods and 2-PW; I think it had a 2-iron?) and a bag was $40.00 I had to buy a putter separately, if I remember correctly. I may still have at least one of the irons around, I'll see if I can find it tonight.

I got my first set from my mother when she gave up the game. They are (still have them) Patty Berg Wilson's complete with persimmon woods.

I got my first set from my mother when she gave up the game. They are (still have them) Patty Berg Wilson's complete with persimmon woods.

those are the same ones i learned with too! :banana:

My first set were some copper faced MacGregor Tourny Colokrom. If I remember right my dad got them from his dad for some occasion back when they were new (late 50's???). When I wanted to start playing I don't think he thought I would stick with it so he just let me use his old set rather than buy something (Dad was cheap). I even had some persimmon woods and a bullseye putter with a wood shaft. This was all in the early-mid 80's before golf was big and metals and graphite were just becoming more popular.

I still have the iron set. He always told me that they might be worth some money someday to a collector and to never get rid of them. Don't know if that is true or not, but I will keep them until I pass them off to my own children. The set is 2-9, & 11. Yes, an 11 iron, not a PW. The 2 & 3 irons were not that much bigger than the ball so needless to say they were very hard to hit for a beginner.

It was Power Built, couldn't remember the model.
Grabbed them out of the barrel sale, PW, 9i, 8i, 7i, 6i, 5i, 4i, 1-3-5 woods and a Green Killer putter. Had them for about a year before I had decided to play this game a little more seriously.

Age 7, RAM Junior Senators, hardest blades ever to hit...

A used set of Wilson Fat Shafts. Funny but it looks like Wilson leads the parade as far as first sets.

A used set of Wilson Fat Shafts. Funny but it looks like Wilson leads the parade as far as first sets.

yeah, i was gonna guess either Wilson or Spalding

Back