Tiger Woods Is Done

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This was sent to me via email. It was written by a writer that I normally disagree with, but this article I find PERFECT!!!!

There has always been a great problem for sportswriters when it comes to Tiger Woods. The "Tiger Conundrum" as we call it, means that Tiger is to be praised effusively when doing good, and praised effusively when he doesn't do as good.

To put it into simple, day-to-day words - Tiger Woods is Barack Obama, with the exception of being able to land a 1-iron on a nickel from 300 yards out. Basically, like Obama, all sins are rendered moot, because for god's sake, it's Tiger Woods we're talking about.

But this is why media giants like The New York Times are starting to fold like 99-Cent stores. It's time to keep it real, people. And I will start:

Tiger Woods is finished as the best golfer in the world. Done. Kaput.

In fact, to be fair & balanced in regard to all the gushing stories about Woods over the years, I feel I may even have to crank this up a notch - Tiger Woods is finished as a golfer, and will likely end up in jail.

Now, I understand that Woods has already won a tournament since his comeback from serious knee surgery. That he's playing as well as he is now is actually a tribute to his greatness. But it would be neither fair nor balanced to express it as such.

Because, even in the hallowed confines of this blog, I have kneeled at the gate of Tiger, going as far as calling him "Greatest Athlete Ever."

I'm not saying that I take those words back, mind you. I'm still pretty impressed by young Eldrick, and all. But I'm just trying to keep the hyperbole pendulum as close to even as I can.

So I say again: After his collapse at The Players Championship, Tiger Woods is finished as a golfer. His mental and physical games are shot, and there's every chance he may never even contend again in a PGA Tour tournament. He's done.

Unless he wins again soon. Then the hyperbole pendulum will swing the other way, of course.

Billy K

That's kind of a funny article.

I'm not sure if I agree or disagree. I think it may still be a bit too early to count Tiger out. I think it'd be wiser to revisit this in 12-18 months before passing judgement on him.

I'm thinking he left out the sarcasm/tongue in cheek smile.

I'm with Gummi, I think we need to wait a little while longer until we can really guess where he is going.

• Admin
I think you are right WSE. The last line gives it the whole sarcasm thing.

That writer's last sentence says it all for his article;

"Unless he wins again soon. Then the hyperbole pendulum will swing the other way, of course."

If TW's knee is fine, which everyone seems to think it is, then he just needs to get his tempo, and timing back. Maybe add in a putter adjustment. Heck, my game falls apart if I take just a couple of weeks off from it. I can't imagine what an 8 month lay off would do it. I'd probably have to start over, and play left handed. :comp:

Granted, Tiger has some issues to work through after the surgey and lay off. I give him a full year to recover and then see where is game is. Tiger has accomplished so much with one bad knee that he needs time to see what it feels like playing on two good ones. I am sure it is difficult not to still compensate as he did before the surgery and he is having to "unlearn" this compensation and "learn" how to utilize his lower body a bit differently. As for his swing at the Players, it was way, way off and hopefully that gets resolved soon. I have to admit I did get some pleasure in seeing him put the ball in the nether-regions and saying to myself, I can do that Tiger but then his recovery shots quickly erased those thoughts. :act-up:I think we are realizing that Tiger is human, but I have all the confidence he will be back.

Another interesting issue is that despite him finishing 8th after all the un-Tigeresque golf he played where were the Wolrd's number 2 and 3 players?

• Admin
That is a good point Keith.

Everyone gets older and the young pups get bolder after drawing blood and seeing some faults in the old lion, I mean Tiger. He will still get his wins, but the young guys are coming on. It will be tougher just as it was for the other greats.

amusing article but obviously dripping with sarcasm.

Yeah, they hyperbolic predictions of Tiger's demise are almost as exagerated as those of his infallibility.

Aside: China, I love it when you post in threads I'm following. Please continue to do so.

Aside: China, I love it when you post in threads I'm following. Please continue to do so.

How is he supposed to know?

Am I the only one who truly wants Tiger to win the most majors of all time?

I also like him and want him to have the record. I just think they will come a little slower now. It is the time in his life for a little down period while the kids are young.

(No sarcasm intended. I appreciate your appreciation of artistic photography, that's all. :D )

I also believe Tiger is the greatest of all time, being a true athlete and having come to prominence in a place and time when it is possible to specialize in nothing but the golf swing from the age of infancy. For that reason, I fully expect he will win more than any other for many decades to come, and he deserves it.

(No sarcasm intended. I appreciate your appreciation of artistic photography, that's all. :D )

ok...gotcha. lol. well I'm trying to keep it PG13.

As far as Tiger is concerned...I can't find myself able to call him the greatest of all time (yet). But he is without a doubt the greatest golfer alive today. And I hate to admit it but I fiind myself rooting for him to win alot of the time.
He is arguably the single reason for golfs popularity today no matter how much some people try to pretend they are sick of hearing his name constantly. Regardless of whether he is playing or not...he brings excitement to the game that had been missing for quite some time. His "struggles" right now are still better than what many golfers achieve in their lifetime. He seems to be expected to win every tournament he enters. But he is only mortal after all. well sometimes.

IT has to be sarcasm or a poorly informed writer. For Tiger to be in contention the way he is after coming back from his injury is simply short of amazing.

I am baffled that nobody seems to be getting this. Of course it is sarcasm.

um...I'm not really sure how to take that...:confused2:

Darn--here I thought this was going to get really interesting.
popcorn.gif

Back